Fender P Bass vs Ibanez SR

Toni-Wan Kenobi

Question

Hey folks, just after a bit of help selecting a new bass. I've always wanted a genuine Fender Precision Bass, though since being on customforge, I hear a lot of people using the SR models from Ibanez.

SO my question is... are the Fenders really that much superior at £850 or to save a few bucks is an SR at around £450-£800 just as good?

Any answers or info on this would be great. 

Thanks! 

5 answers to this question

I have a Ibanez SR800 and one of my best friends have a Fender P bass.  They are totally different.  I would guess its all about preference. My ibanez have a really thin neck.   Only reason i bought it was the 150€ price from someone that did not know what it was.

Go to a store and play them both before deciding what you want.

I have a Ibanez SR800 and one of my best friends have a Fender P bass.  They are totally different.  I would guess its all about preference. My ibanez have a really thin neck.   Only reason i bought it was the 150€ price from someone that did not know what it was.

Go to a store and play them both before deciding what you want.

Sound idea!

Unfortunately the musical instrument stores round here suck for a good Bass. They mostly cater for 6-strings and Acoustic selections, they have Squier basses but that's what I already own! I would probably have to travel for about 50-70 miles to get to a decent shop with a good bass selection. 

I'll check out some bass forums for reviews between the two models, thought I'd go for the easy option an try the people of rocksmith first. 

• Administrator

If you hesitate only between two model, buying one, testing it and returning it (make sure the store you buy it from offer a decent return policy) to then move to the other one if it doesn't quite work for you might be a decent solution.

• Like 2

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

If you hesitate only between two model, buying one, testing it and returning it (make sure the store you buy it from offer a decent return policy) to then move to the other one if it doesn't quite work for you might be a decent solution.

Thanks, great option. Never really thought about a trial period on a guitar purchase! :)

I gotta say I recently purchased a Fender P Bass used. It had the factory pickups  replaced with Dimarzios and I loaded it up with D'Addario Chromes flatwounds and holy hell the thump. I bought it on ebay with the pickups already installed. The guy selling it was able to give me the entire history with proof of purchase so it wasnt ripped off. He was upgrading. It's a MiM P bass and he was going to AMS. Picked it up for 150 US.
Deals can still be found on eBay.