Violin Guitar Tone

Guiagge

Question

Hi.

I'm making a CDLC requested by a friend of mine which has some cool violin parts, so I arranged them to the lead guitar tab (the song is Emerald Sword by Rhapsody).

The thing is that I can't get a violin tone (not even close to one). I had already made some strange tones like an organ one using two phasers and stuff like that but I don't know if I can make a guitar sound like a violin with those Rocksmith effects...

I imagine that using reverb correctly and maybe delay with some light distortion may get close, but so far it sounds really strange...

Is there any song that has a tone similar to violin or something like that so I can start working from something at least? Any sugestions to get that tone?

Please help me!

16 answers to this question

I made similar to violin tone in one of the old versions of "My Immortal", so it is possible to do (of course it was not the same as 100% violin, but not so far away from that) :lol:

If I can find this old version tone in my computer, I will post the tone settings here, I will check it if I can find it (I remember it took long time to make the tone, I remember I used for sure one or two of the DELAY effects and special equalizer settings). However I made more than 10 tones for "My Immortal" for testing, so not sure if I have this version, I will see.

I would be really grateful if you find this tone! (Not that this means much lol)

Everywhere I searched just had people talking about guitar swells and using volume pedals... :D

I'm trying to get my own collection of tones so I can make the songs without really worrying too much about the tones, unless is something really specific...

I ran into this a while ago and bookmarked it, thinking it might be useful one day:

EHX Effectology

The problem is most of the tones I've looked at use the HOG or POG pedal and I don't think that Rocksmith has an equivaent.

I was thinking of tabbing some of The Kills stuff, but I don't think it would work without proper EHX simulations. Worth experimenting with -- at least Rocksmith has a ring mod.

@@Guiagge I'd be interested in getting hold of that organ tone, if you don't mind sharing it.

I don't know how people share things here since I'm quite new to these forums but I have uploaded the tone: https://www.mediafire.com/?k3j29i66zyy2bvb

It's not that great, but I guess it's a start. Also, I don't know how people get tones to have decent (uniform) volume, comparing one to the others. Everytime I make a distorted one it sounds way louder than the others, and when I use many modulation effects like in this "organ" tone it sounds even quiter (even thought i used a limiter!). Obviously distorted tones have lots of gain, but having every tone with more or less the same volume would be great, if someone can help me with that...

I also would be reaaaaally grateful if someone had a saxophone tone, since I want to tab some Morphine songs, using the sax parts for the guitar. Any other "instrument simulation" would be great, like piano or sitar, or anything like that...

unfortunately I deleted the old version with the violin like tone, the tone was done in 2013 so really can not remind all values, so I can guess only from later made version I found

what there could be used, I do not have values for them so you need to experiment a lot:

Amp AT-20

Cab: TW410C Dyn.Edge

Loop: Alloy Distortion

Rack: Studio Chorus Modulation

Studio Parametric EQ Filter (with much of bass and middle added)

Delay: Classic NPN Delay or Studio Chamber Reverb Reverb as Rack

when I have some time I can try to experiment again in Tone Designer

All bowed instruments generate a saw-tooth waveform.  If you can find a pedal effect or post effect in RS that makes the standard sin waveform into a saw-tooth, then you'll want to put that at the beginning of the effect chain.  I wish I could be of more use than that, but I can't. :)

Sometimes I use big words that I don't completely understand, just to make myself seem more photosynthesis.

I use a lot of violin, viola and trompets tones in my customs and if you need it just import with the toolkit.

For Example:

The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony

Kansas - Dust in the Wind.

I dont know if sounds perfect but it is really close, so use it as a base if you like.

• Like 1

All my Customs here: Sirandok's CDLC  Total of Customs: 166 Last Update: Richard Marx - Right Here Waiting

"Music is Life"

I use a lot of violin, viola and trompets tones in my customs and if you need it just import with the toolkit.

For Example:

I dont know if sounds perfect but it is really close, so use it as a base if you like.

@@Sirandok

I would really like to have something like a thumpet/sax tone since I want to make some customs from Morphine putting the sax part in the guitar lol

I also made a tone "cello" tone, if anyone is interested I used it in the guitar intro for Green Day's Hitchin' a Ride and for the "bass" part of Good Riddance, I have uploaded both here :D

For Example:

@@Sirandok

I would really like to have something like a thumpet/sax tone since I want to make some customs from Morphine putting the sax part in the guitar lol

I also made a tone "cello" tone, if anyone is interested I used it in the guitar intro for Green Day's Hitchin' a Ride and for the "bass" part of Good Riddance, I have uploaded both here :D

Similar to trumpet I have:

George Baker Selection - Little Green Bag

Lou Bega - Mambo Number 5

Village People - YMCA

Maybe can help doing a better tone for the song that you need the tone.

• Like 1

All my Customs here: Sirandok's CDLC  Total of Customs: 166 Last Update: Richard Marx - Right Here Waiting

"Music is Life"

You might be able to use an auto-wah to get the effect. Or you could notate "pick then swell with volume knob" and  use light distortion to emulate the harmonics a violin produces. I don't think RS has a way to cut off the percussive pick of a note, but thumb or finger picking could help. The most important thing is getting a nice legato. Wish they had an ebow option.

Man, Emerald sword by Rhapsody would be AMAZING to have.

@@ShameOnTheNight Unfortutatelly I had to format my computer days ago and lost a lot of stuff I tought I had saved. Rhapsody songs are generally easy to sync thou because apart from some intro and different parts most songs have EXACTLY 180 BPM, at least in this album. If you can gimme some accurate Guitar Pro tabs I can probably do some songs.