Alternate Picking/Picking Fast

I've been learning ever since RS2014 came out and I've been constantly practising, but I feel that I've kind of hit a wall so that I can't get much better without being able to alternate pick.

I hold my pick correctly, but my upstrokes just always sound and feel off, and it doesn't sound good when I try to alternate pick (and I can only do it relatively slowly).Does anyone know any ways I could get better at this?

• Like 1

I've been learning ever since RS2014 came out and I've been constantly practising, but I feel that I've kind of hit a wall so that I can't get much better without being able to alternate pick.

I hold my pick correctly, but my upstrokes just always sound and feel off, and it doesn't sound good when I try to alternate pick (and I can only do it relatively slowly).Does anyone know any ways I could get better at this?

you betcha!!!

it just takes practice,

watch my dumbass lesson,

and do these things to warm up.

and don't drink so much redbull, its bad for you.

[yt]http://youtu.be/WB9uzchJhnM[/yt]

• Like 2

The truth is.....

I lied about everything.

Same as with anything, start off slow and play with a metronome. As you get comfortable at that speed increase it gradually.

As otis has said above you can start off playing all 4 frets to begin with and then mix it up a little once you have 4 frets nailed.

I'd recommend doing 4 frets first then switching to the chromatic scale (which plays all 12 notes). You play the first 4 notes on string 6 then stretch your index finger to the fret above on string 5 to play 5th note, then shift your index finger back down to play 6-9. Then continue to do that for strings 4 to 1.

When going up the scale play the 1-4 notes on string 1 and for the next 5 notes shift your pinky finger down to play the fret below on string 2 and then back up to play the next 4 notes and do the same for strings 3 to 6.

Hope that makes sense, I'm not very good at explaining things!

The important thing is to start off slow with a metronome keeping time and increase the speed as you go along. Don't be tempted to start off too fast!

Alternatively you could always abduct the guitarist you most like to play like, abduct a surgeon. Force the surgeon to chop off your hands, chop off the guitarist's hands and sew his onto your wrists and yours onto his wrists.

Although if you do that you'll probably have to kill them both and dispose of their bodies, the idea of the surgeon continuing to work on sewing your hands onto the guitarist's wrists is just to lull him into a false sense of security before you land the killing blow.

Did I mention those voices I hear in my head..?  :eek:  :mrgreen:  :-P

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...