Using session mode

Aorist

Question

Hey i havent been a very active member on these forums but was just reading through how others spend their time in Rocksmith 2014. i noticed some people spend a fair amount of time in session mode (personally i spend about 97% of my time in learn a song -> riff repeater -> DD 100% -> increase speed incrementally.) but probably the biggest selling point of Rocksmith 2014 was watching joey cantrell (?) rock it out in session mode.

i want to use session mode more often, and ive noticed rocksmith shows you what scales to use when jamming but i guess i dont feel im at a stage where i can comfortably experiment with scales in a session. i mean i can fiddle backwards and forwards messing around with note in the major or minor. i guess what i want to ask is, is there any particular way that people use session mode? do people go straight for A major scale and experiment or are there other cool features or setups with session mode that make it a little more structured? how do people find adjusting to an artificial band that adjusts to you?

i find i get more enjoyment out of making up my own little riffs in songs like arctic monkeys do i wanna know (rhythm) when youre suppose to hold a harmonised note...

2 answers to this question

I've not been playing guitar long enough to really take advantage of session mode, I don't think.

After maybe 6 or so months, I'm starting to get comfortable with basic theory and playing the songs in game but when I go to session mode, I find myself just noodling along with single notes from the scale.

Sometimes I feel like I lack the creativity for session mode, but sometimes something just clicks and it all sounds a bit lovely. Have a mess around with it more and see how you get on, session mode is only what you make of it.

Scales are great for more advanced soloing, but I would start with a catchy riff like the lead from Smoke on the Water and work from there.  If you have the music background for it, you could flesh out a basic chord progression to go with (or take one from a song you know), but you don't really need to.  Just get the basic riff down, enter session mode, and play the main riff a few times to let the band know what you're doing.  You'll know when they've got it down.  Then try a variation on the riff, repeat the original version, try another variation and so on.  Just keep referring back to the main riff on a regular basis so the band doesn't get lost.

My typical settings are - Root: E A or D, Mode: Pentatonic Maj or min, Complexity: jam, Tempo: 90 bpm, Groove: pushed, Slew: on, Room: club.  I'm not a great guitar/bass player by any means, but this gives me the freedom to noodle around a bit with enough structure to make it productive/decent sounding.  When you get comfortable doing this, it's even more fun playing with a friend, trading the lead between two guitars or guitar/bass.  I've had some great sessions where we've worked up entire songs starting with just a lead riff and basic chord progression.  I just wish RS would let you record and export your sessions.

That's my suggestion.  Maybe some others will chime in.  Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.