440hz Vs 432hz Tuning ? Hoax or serious ??

ebe76

If you google "432hz" you will be surprised to find interesting stuff bout the standard instrument tuning A=440Hz and why lot of people think 432hz should be better for lot of reason, from mathematical waves point of view to very mystical point of view .... makes plants growing faster, (?) and some even think it will save the human race from a very dark conspiracy (really ???) , that's why i was just wondering if it's a hoax or not ?? 

I found there are lot of songs retuned in 432hz over youtube, and there are app to play all your mp3 discography in 432hz..( by real time pitching from 440 to 432 )

But is there popular guitarist or band playing originally in 432hz ??

Do you know popular songs which were recorded in 432hz ?

Was wondering bout the only one i know which is near to 432hz, Radiohead - No Surprises, recently post here,

Anybody here have tried to tune in A 432 hz ? what experience did you get ? really feel better than 440 hz ??

Science previously discovered that the static on your TV is actually the sound and energy of dying stars, and that anything producing energy actually produces some kind of sound, whether loud or quiet (that includes atoms vibrating). This possibly means that, given our knack for living on earth, we're "tuned" to the cosmic hum of the planets rotation (kind of a cool idea actually). And for some reason, this is believed to be in the tuning of 432hz.

I hear it also makes erections last 2x longer!  And makes your whites whiter!  Now more than ever!!!

Science previously discovered that the static on your TV is actually the sound and energy of dying stars, and that anything producing energy actually produces some kind of sound, whether loud or quiet (that includes atoms vibrating). This possibly means that, given our knack for living on earth, we're "tuned" to the cosmic hum of the planets rotation (kind of a cool idea actually). And for some reason, this is believed to be in the tuning of 432hz.

I hear it also makes erections last 2x longer!  And makes your whites whiter!  Now more than ever!!!

TBH, what you've quoted sounds like the ramblings of a high school physics student who's just discovered the wacky baccy.

Most of the static picked up by TV aerials is rather more local; the majority of the rest is actually cosmic background radiation(which was discovered by accident in the 1960's, by a couple of astronomers who just couldn't account for the interference their shiny new radio telescope was picking up).

• Like 2

ok guys, nothing against you

I know it's about frequencies and all the universe is ruled by that, but, please dont turn the debate into the mystical cosmic please :) ....

if you like mystical , read this about this subject  but personaly, i m very skeptic about that...

so can we focus on music and the tuning of our poor little instruments....

Someone say it sound warmer, not very "objective" point of view to me but why not....

For myself , I have tuned my acoustic guitar in 432Hz, and start to play with since last days...

Nothing happend for the moment around me but I promise to tell you if my hair grow faster or if i become less moody ;) ....

440hz as a standard is a rather new invention(1953) and has been opposed by many for years. A lot of operasingers wants to make the standard 432 because they say that 440 ruins their voices.

I have made a couple of tracks myself using 432hz tuning and have to say that I really like the 'feel' of it. Somewhat warmer and more harmonic but of course thats just me fooling myself =p

btw I usually tune my g-string 10-15 cents below whatever tuning its in, because it sounds great.

• Like 1

• Administrator

I played Trombone in an orchestra and somtimes we were tuned to A442 or 444 and i didn't really feel the difference.

I've never made any recording myself with an A other than 440 so i don't have any point of comparaison, if i have time i will modified one of my recording to see (mostly ear) the difference.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

• 3 years later...

i am into this and since i consider myself having fine ears, i cannot even play my favorite songs in A-tonereference 440 anymore WHILE REALLY enjoying it as so i did so far. This fact has ruined my belief in modern rock music to the very fundamentals, I will find out sooner or later if/how my band reacts to that.

now, my essential question in terms of this forum is, does anyone of you guys in here know how to tune down a whole program like Rocksmith that cheeky quarter note? or maybe just how to fix single songs, by editor, or so.

danke

pg

• Administrator

@@partygurke huh, so you prefer a slightly flat A to a A?

Do you prefer songs that play in Eb std too?

No offense but you seems to have ruined your own enjoyement of something out of thin air but technically you could likely shift the whole audio by using Equalizer Apo and the convolution process (you would have to find the impulse response of a pitch shifter though). This way you will be able to enjoy everything that comes out of your computer shifted to 432Hz instead of 440hz...

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

well, i am aware that it may sound kinda weird. i still have to figure out how to explain it technically to myself, i will spare all the stuff of conspiracy around this, as for now, it is just a feeling.

on the other hand, talking about "out of thin air", it is actually said, people around the world, (Tibetians, Indians, Azteks, Aborigines, and so on) naturally tuned the reference to that frequency, also great singers did in our days - John Lennon, Bob Marley, the recently "haunted" Adele, Luciano Pavarotti even did kind of rant considering that, supported by other great singers in his business, just to mention a few - will see what further investigation leads to point.

nevertheless thanks for your serious reply! i honestly did not expect that.

good point with the songs tuned out of the today's common E-standard. i did not really try so far, i played couple of maiden, metallica and aerosmith songs (all A440) about half an hour, additonally i contested pure tones in A440 and A432, guess what, i even tuned down some *.wav files with an audioprogram. but time will tell if this can be considered false or true, finally.

will try out your mentioned solution asap...

vielen dank

pg

• Administrator

The A frequency varied a lot around the years and the 440 is only a recent construction relative to music history and it's more a question of regulation so that every A4 in the world is actually the same (kinda the same way we have an international unit system to allow people to communicate more easily).

Also many old records were actually recorded at 440 but were then altered by speeding or slowing down the rotation of the magnetic band itself to make that specific song or album sounds different than what was obtained in the first place and i'm not even sure artist were even aware of those changes or wanted those changes to be made in the first place and you can see many of those songs being played live at the 440 frequency the way artist actually played them in the studio at first.

What i find weird is to consider than one frequency sounds fundamentally better than another all the time, especially considering that not that many people are able to tell precisely what frequency they are hearing. For the rare who do, i could see the beginning of a reason but for 99% of the population, it does sounds like it's based on a cognitive bias and no actual capacity of that person to hear the difference.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

very interesting. i have read earlier about that phono stuff and old records overall.

does the fact i tune down my bass to A432, shortly after playing A440, that i instantly hear a lot of difference in terms of sympathy, make me that special? not sure about that. you might say it is just a mindthing, influenced by above mentioned recent progress of learning. cannot tell exactly. will see how it apply in studio along with guitarist, singer, drums.

maybe it is just the conscious awareness what exact tune is actually played right now. before trying that, i do not think i personally would have heard a serious objective differense, neither do people in general. it is a thing of feelings (as musicians we are allowed to mention that).

i like to listen electronic produced pieces slightly slowed/pitched down since my childhood... but in most cases further than just a few cents, all by feelings...

you say A440 is introduced for global standardization purpose, do you know something about this in some journally mentioned london 1939 conference? i read some facts that as mentioned above, natural tribes tuned their reference to A432. do you really think it is pure nonsense? still they had nothing but their feelings and ears to rely on, i believe there must have been some kinda super special 1% guy in each one of them ;-)

• Administrator

The thing is, if you can't tell if a song is in A432 just by listening to it, it's more likely to be a cognitive bias than anything tangible and it just means that you are being deceived by your own mind. That's not a bad thing in itself, placebo effect is a real thing and can be beneficial.

Also, yes drummers do tune their drum set, or at least they should!

As for the whole history the A pitch, it seems like there's quite an interesting book around that subject https://books.google.fr/books?id=3Vwh0PZ3EuMC&pg=PA301&dq=9780810841857&hl=fr&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwijyub12djYAhXHUlAKHS3ICO0Q6AEIJzAA#v=onepage&q=9780810841857&f=false

It indicates that A pitch was in the late 18th century at 440 in Germany but as low as 416 in the Hardsburg Empire, you can easily imagine that musician from those two places weren't able to play together nicely as they were a whole semitone off from each other. There's also a whole discussion about the classical instrument and how they fit to a certain pitch because of their size in relation to the frequency which is likely to be very interesting and the fact different situation had different limitation like organ in churches which force other instrument playing along to fit to the organ tuning cause the other way around is a lot more troublesome to say the least.

So that A frequency is something that has moved quite a lot because of a lot of consideration and even if some tribes seems to use a reference of A432, it might be for more practical reason than anything mystical and would need a lot more investigation before claiming such link between frequency and feelings.

• Like 2

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

• 1 month later...

Check the other content that uploader have.  I did not watch the video but i still say its fake.

"

Your Daily Dose of Entertainment! Amplex is your source for reporting the Latest in new UFO sightings, Universe Secrets, Unsolved Mysteries and the Truth we are all seeking!

"

• Like 1

• Administrator

@ Glad you completely ignore the whole conversation and published one video that which as MaZtoR pointed out something that doesn't seems to be based on any proven facts by proper methods.

Also in regards to Pythagorean tunings, the video safely avoid the mention of the base note of the tuning... You get an A at 432Hz only if you use a D based tuning and that's only true if the D is at 288 Hz which is quite the assumption at the time where they had no means of measuring frequency reliably. Also it would have been more interesting to note that 288 is 12*12*2 which actually tie in with the 12 numbers rhetoric of the video but sadly he didn't but instead decide to start from 27Hz because?

It's an interesting thing to start back from the Pythagorean tuning but you also have to notice that we don't use it anymore because we now use an equal temperament that can't fit with the frequency division made with the Pythagorean tuning.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

• 5 months later...

Placebo effect strikes again. At least you caught it partyG...

Using 432hz as reference for A only leads you to down tuning your guitar a tiny bit.

Guitars aren't even that precise.

Fixed fret micro tonal guitars is more important. You would never have such a slight down tune actually work the same on every fret on a normal guitar anyways because they aren't all that precise.

• Like 1