Help for beginners

calin_the_dream

Question

Hi there

I'm one of the guys who discovered the pleasure of learning to play the guitar later when the job and family really limits the time...

Now for the question: Can I add in any way Dynamic Difficulty to the CDLC that don't have it? I really want to play some songs but in full it is much too hard and with all those notes coming I have no chance in learning the song....

Thanks and I hope I'll get a positive answer

Cheers,

Calin

7 answers to this question

Imho dynamic difficulty =/= better learning

I preffer 100% difficulty and slowing the song down to learn it slowly, with all the techniques required.

In example start the part you have problems with and set the speed to 50% or slower if you want and practice it slowly and when you feel that you can play it increase the speed a little bit. ;)

And to answer your question. I think you can't add DD to customs you have, without the core files like guitar tabs etc.

Check out my Workshop!

Can't test my Lead/Rythm arrangements  'cause my guitar is broken. I play bass mainly.

I used to love DD but now hate it. I would get comfortable with a passage then some new pattern would pop up. I found it is much better to slow down the song and get the picking down and speed up as you get the muscle memory for the song. Believe me it is much better this way. When I first started it was cool to be able to play through an entire song with about twenty notes but every play through I had to relearn the song. I have been playing for about 8 months and can play songs that I would have said no way I can ever play that! If the song is to difficult just pick your notes and try to add the ones you missed later. You still get a play through and get familiar with the actual song as written. You will get a lot of "Bad Performance!" at first but they will diminish. I actually want to remove DD from rocksmith. I wish they made a way to just turn it off!

I had to agree with that.It is better to use no DD with Riff Repeater and slow down the speed.

I had it in RS1 sometimes, i try to learn it like u want to do, seen every single note and that shit. But after a "level" up i had to put my fingers completly diffrent than i think i had to do.

Thats the big point of RR with 100 % of the song and slowing it down. U can allready see where u had to put your fingers and can choose so exactly where u will start to learn. A Solo can look much easier with DD but then try to lvl up u stop sooner or later probably because u cant really handle it.

I use DD at the beginning of a song, just to get to know it -- things like fret hand positions, what key the songs in, and just listening to the song. But after a couple of run-throughs like that, I jump right away to 100% difficulty, slowing the song down as much as I need to. Because, yes, the best way to learn a song is by playing the actual song.

If you pay attention (and if the song has been charted correctly), DD will always show you where your fingers should be -- there are always four highlighted frets. These tell you what position you're playing in. If you find that you have to completely change your hand position, you weren't paying attention.

I don't trust the DDC all that much. It's nice that it's there, but i find its choices to be hit and miss. DD on customs just can't quite equal the DD in the official songs (in my opinion). So if you're deadset on playing customs, then just dispense with DD altogether and go straight to the RiffRepeater. (Also, you can't necessarily trust the fret hand positions in customs, although EOF does a better job with this.)

On the other hand, the sections in the official songs are really poor -- they're much too long, and it can be really tedious using the RiffRepeater. The worst is when you're trying to learn the last two measures of a 24-measure section! I'm not sure what the people behind the official songs were thinking when they made the decision to make these super-long sections.

With customs, you can create your own sections -- there's a bit of a learning curve to that. You can always ask the person who charted the song to break the sections down into smaller chunks (in the songs I'm charting, sections are rarely more than four measures long). It's easy to do if you know how -- and it's not so difficult to learn, if you're motivated.

Well guys, thank you all. As I am learning and thinking (reading) what you all said I incline to consider everything to be true. Yeah, sometimes when the DD level changes you have to rethink everything, hand position and so on. I always used the Riff Repeater but not with the speed, settings but as I think about this, you seem to be right and this option seems to be a lot better.

I'll give it a try. Many thanks.

Calin

You know what? Last night, I was feeling lazy, so I figured I'd give DD a go in Learn A Song.

I chose one of the songs that came with RS2014, the one from the Magic Wands (Black Magic?)... it's a fairly easy song. It took 19 run-throughs to bring it up (from 0) to 100% difficulty. Some parts level up more quickly than others -- I think the chord sections were leveled up after 5 or 6 run-throughs.

Anyway, it was fun to do it this way, partly because I didn't have to do anything but hit the return key a couple of times. The Riff Repeater's more work!

But it was only fun because the song itself is pretty simple.

My rule of thumb would be : When you feel you can't adapt to the notes coming toward you on the screen, it's time to switch to the Riff Repeater and slow things down.

Also, a last note: DD on the customs doesn't work properly for me in LAS -- customs always start on a higher difficulty level than they the official songs do (these always start off at the lowest setting). I don't know if this is true for everyone, it might just be the settings on my computer.

• Like 1