ASIO+WDM Tutorial (Updated 4/14/2019)

masheen

Question

Please note that I did not create this but that this is a combination from my own research. All files / programs were testing and scanned with my virus software ESET. I did not receive any errors / false positives or any virus,malware,data collection, etc..

The items are required in order for this method to work

This will be the guitar you 'hear' Rocksmith guitar will be set to 0 volume but will still detect input

• Bias FX or similar guitar VST - Click Here
  • This specific No cable Patch - Click Here 
    • (extra to go with the patch - Click here- Run this after you installed the No cable Patch.
    • Only have to run it once.
  • Voice Meeter Banana - Click Here
  • Zoom UAC-2 or similar DAC - Click Here 
  • You to copy the 'No cable patch' provided above to your default Rocksmith directory (ie: Steam\SteamApps\common\Rocksmith2014)
  • Create a 'shortcut' to this .exe on your desktop as this will server as the new launcher for Rocksmith 2014
  • Install Voice Meeter Banana and select Voice Meeter (not AUX) as the default sound / recording device.

NKeVNPx.pngphzM8do.png

• A1 in Voice Meeter Banana should be set to 'ASIO Zoom UAC-2'
  • (This serves as a 'virtual ASIO>WDM driver)

0z3s5RO.png

yn9otNb.png

• In Reaper select the ASIO Zoom UAC-2 native driver and configure Bias FX as needed.
  • Be sure the guitar and headphones are plugged into your DAC (Zoom UAC-2 in my example)

NxYIve4.png

• Also ensure the Hi-Z setting is enabled if your DAC has one. This will help to simulate the 'amp' style gain as expected.
  • Please see below for the Rocksmith.ini settings:
[Audio]
EnableMicrophone=0
ExclusiveMode=0
LatencyBuffer=1
ForceDefaultPlaybackDevice=
ForceWDM=0
ForceDirectXSink=0
Win32UltraLowLatencyMode=0
DumpAudioLog=0
MaxOutputBufferSize=1024

ForceASIO=1

[Renderer.Win32]
ShowGamepadUI=0
ScreenWidth=1920
ScreenHeight=1080
Fullscreen=0
VisualQuality=3
RenderingWidth=0
RenderingHeight=0
EnablePostEffects=1
EnableShadows=1
EnableHighResScope=1
EnableDepthOfField=1
EnablePerPixelLighting=1
MsaaSamples=4
  • Like 3

I'm creating cdlc's cool...It may not be easy but slowly I'll get there...Thank you to this great community.

http://customsforge.com/topic/24341-matts-cdlcs-make-suggestions-as-well/?do=findComment&comment=186466

18 answers to this question

This has no effect on performance and can increase the latency of your game. Anyone reading this - please find another way to reduce your latency

"You take it from me, eventually someone's gonna take it from you too. Secrets get passed around. And all sorts of people are going to die for the secrets. That's the curse of power." - Delford "Iraq" Wade - Watch Dogs

I feel so far away, minutes turn to hours and the hours into days - "I Don't Belong Here" - I Prevail

They're so ignorant, they don't understand, you were always longing for a chance - "Wasteland" - EarlyRise

I watched but never really listened as the whole world passed me by - "I Apologize" - Five Finger Death Punch

Have you ever had a dream? Would you fight for it? Would you go to war? Would you die for it? - "Bow Down" - I Prevail

This has no effect on performance and can increase the latency of your game. Anyone reading this - please find another way to reduce your latency

This is actually the opposite. The Rocksmith cable itself is terrible. This again my own findings. The plus side is I do not rely on Rocksmith for the tones as I use bias. It's a much better alternative and gives no issues. If you are having trouble with this, what is your setup? More than likely something is off. My post isn't intended as spam or providing false information if in fact the settings did not work for myself.

I updated with my internal 'voice meeter' buffer settings as well. This again is my own settings which I can confirm work with as little latency as possible. 

Instead of cutting down a method provide factual material on what is causing your latency increase. Every computer is different so the above settings specifically may not be best for you. 

• Like 1

I'm creating cdlc's cool...It may not be easy but slowly I'll get there...Thank you to this great community.

http://customsforge.com/topic/24341-matts-cdlcs-make-suggestions-as-well/?do=findComment&comment=186466

This is actually the opposite. The Rocksmith cable itself is terrible. This again my own findings. The plus side is I do not rely on Rocksmith for the tones as I use bias. It's a much better alternative and gives no issues. If you are having trouble with this, what is your setup? More than likely something is off. My post isn't intended as spam or providing false information if in fact the settings did not work for myself.

I updated with my internal 'voice meeter' buffer settings as well. This again is my own settings which I can confirm work with as little latency as possible. 

Instead of cutting down a method provide factual material on what is causing your latency increase. Every computer is different so the above settings specifically may not be best for you. 

That literally makes no sense - you're running the driver through an emulation that has to be done in real time, there is no way for it to not increase latency. If you're happy with your results I'm not going to argue with you on the matter. Emulation in and of itself increases the latency of whatever you're emulating.

"You take it from me, eventually someone's gonna take it from you too. Secrets get passed around. And all sorts of people are going to die for the secrets. That's the curse of power." - Delford "Iraq" Wade - Watch Dogs

I feel so far away, minutes turn to hours and the hours into days - "I Don't Belong Here" - I Prevail

They're so ignorant, they don't understand, you were always longing for a chance - "Wasteland" - EarlyRise

I watched but never really listened as the whole world passed me by - "I Apologize" - Five Finger Death Punch

Have you ever had a dream? Would you fight for it? Would you go to war? Would you die for it? - "Bow Down" - I Prevail

@@ctrl : have you tried it ?

I don't know if it's emulation or just redirecting the sound data.

I'm using DFX audio enhancer to improve sound, and it adds no latency at all.

I think Asio is a very interesting subject, when you have an external (not onboard) sound card with an asio driver build in i.e.

I'm using a Firehawk FX pedal board, which has an inbuild Asio Driver.

This allows me to use any PC FX Software, like Amplitube, Guitar Rig or Pod, in addition to my Pedal Board sounds,

with about 5ms latency in RS !

• Like 1

I've tried to do this before but I've never managed to get the realtone cable hack to allow me to use ASIO on my Focusrite 2i2 so I have to stick to my official cable.

This is more of a sidenote but could be of interest for those looking at audio routing.

I revisited this yesterday after this post reminded me, I did more searching and discovered SAR (Synchronous Audio Router). If you have an audio device with a genuine ASIO driver (not ASIO4all emulation) you can create virtual endpoints, (inputs and outputs that show up as audio devices in Windows as long as the DAW is running)  to route sound into and out of your DAW, I managed to route a web browser and Rocksmith game audio into my DAW, in seconds compared to the hoops I used to have to jump through with Voicemeeter Banana. I use Ableton Live 10 but reaper works well as will probably any DAW. This routing happens faster than ASIO to ensure the low ASIO latency stream works. If you do have a look at SAR just be aware that SAR's automatic application routing no longer works on W10 due to the changes made to audio routing in the Spring Update. So once an endpoint has been created, the application will need to be routed using the Windows Sound Settings. Unfortunately after all of this I'm still unable to get an input into Rocksmith from my Focusrite 2i2, so wish I'd waited and bought the 2nd gen.

Zoom UAC-2 (259€) 

quite expensive stuff, (less for the Focusrite 2i2, about 100€) 

if it's only needed to get rid of RS tones,

and record in a DAW,

as you still need (possibly quite expensive) replacement Guitar Effects as plug-ins,

and considering the real-tone cable hacks

The Firehawk FX (250€) comes as an easy uncomplicated and cheap all-inclusive solution

RS cable is connected from FX send output to USB input, no hack or parallel output needed

@@ToxRS check the staff Discord and scroll up to about 11pm BT yesterday (if I'm doing the time zone conversion correctly)

Reading through you guy's posts. A good note is I am not using Asio4all. Another point yes, hardware routing is the true solution. Can't beat good ole analog! I have a behringer myself. Though it is nice to have less cables with the 'virtual' method. I will try to keep messing around and continue to update the OP. At the end this has us thinking creatively and that is what matters. As long as we find a usable solution to ourselves using whatever method, that is what matters.

Also I do tech support work and the main reason why I started using voice meeter was because I needed to route my audio but in a very specific way. I wasn't even originally going to do Rocksmith in the way I have. Again hardware routing is better. If you guys find more ideas post it! Perhaps we can eventually have a few easy solutions for people to get to and not have to claw at Google to get an answer.

There is another file I have I will attach as well that let's you set the specific device RS is using, give that a try as well. I'll attach it in the OP as extra.

I've tried to do this before but I've never managed to get the realtone cable hack to allow me to use ASIO on my Focusrite 2i2 so I have to stick to my official cable.

This is more of a sidenote but could be of interest for those looking at audio routing.

I revisited this yesterday after this post reminded me, I did more searching and discovered SAR (Synchronous Audio Router). If you have an audio device with a genuine ASIO driver (not ASIO4all emulation) you can create virtual endpoints, (inputs and outputs that show up as audio devices in Windows as long as the DAW is running)  to route sound into and out of your DAW, I managed to route a web browser and Rocksmith game audio into my DAW, in seconds compared to the hoops I used to have to jump through with Voicemeeter Banana. I use Ableton Live 10 but reaper works well as will probably any DAW. This routing happens faster than ASIO to ensure the low ASIO latency stream works. If you do have a look at SAR just be aware that SAR's automatic application routing no longer works on W10 due to the changes made to audio routing in the Spring Update. So once an endpoint has been created, the application will need to be routed using the Windows Sound Settings. Unfortunately after all of this I'm still unable to get an input into Rocksmith from my Focusrite 2i2, so wish I'd waited and bought the 2nd gen.

Meant to add as well, if you ever wanna do a screenshare let me know and I can try to assist in help get a voicemeeter setup working. It took me a very very long time to learn the ins and outs to finally figure out how to get it working.

This is mint! Well done, lot of newbies here. I been hooking Rocksmith up to pro audio for years. Mostly with cables and the ole FX send. Having fun playing with this. I don't get any noticeable latency. Just played Enter Sandman hit 94% output from a helix, also 93% from Katana, 94% from Bias FX. Can also run it with RS cable but choose not to ie one less thing.

This is mint! Well done, lot of newbies here. I been hooking Rocksmith up to pro audio for years. Mostly with cables and the ole FX send. Having fun playing with this. I don't get any noticeable latency. Just played Enter Sandman hit 94% output from a helix, also 93% from Katana, 94% from Bias FX. Can also run it with RS cable but choose not to ie one less thing.

Just saw your comment, I updated my in with a ForceASIO=1 setting. This noticeably decreased latency to close to my daw. (Now using Reason.) Feel free to copy above. Thanks!

I have Behgringer U-Phoria UM2 as DAC and use nocable launcher with this settings:

EnableMicrophone=0

ExclusiveMode=1
LatencyBuffer=2
ForceDefaultPlaybackDevice=
ForceWDM=0
ForceDirectXSink=0
DumpAudioLog=0
MaxOutputBufferSize=160
RealToneCableOnly=0
Win32UltraLowLatencyMode=1
Why I should use DAW + VST for this game? This may lower latency?
And why I can't use Bias FX 2 + rocksmith without voicemeeter?