Is it just me or does it seem some of the official DLC is....

Netrngr

Question

Well to put it bluntly, phoned in? Don't get me wrong I really dig the fact that they are still cranking out weekly DLC this late into the game but it seems some of the charts they put out dont have a lot of work invested in them.

Case in point:

Def Leppard, Hysteria

There are definite notes that are charged incorrectly in the official DLC. I would give it 98ish percent accuracy. The offending area is mainly in the pre-chorus and the ending. Even a cursory listen can tell the changes. A look at official tab books as well as visualizations of the tracks bear this out.

There are others but this is one that sticks out in my mind. It just seems like this was done to make it super simple to play and seems it was thought the majority of people would not notice the difference with the guitar / bass playing over the top. This may be the case but I play with all ingame instrument sounds muted through a decent amp and I may be the only one but it kinda makes me cringe when I hear it. I think I'm going to make a personal version, although I do own the one from Ubi, and I'll play the one I make simply because I want it to be correct.

Not sure how the guitar parts play as I am a bassist.

Anyone else feel like some of the official tracks have less than optimal charting as well?  

• Like 1

10 answers to this question

• Administrator

@@Netrngr There's case where some choices regarding fringering or strings played were somewhat debatable but never blatantly wrong. Note that the DLC version of Hysteria isn't the original recording from 1987 which is likely what the official tab book refers to.

Also please, when you are going to claim something is wrong, allow us to not have to go around all the internet to proove your point. So if you have clear example, timestamp and such that would make it clear for everyone what are your specific issue with the chart, it would be so much better for everyone.

Also, just give a look/listen and nothing jumped at me as blatantly wrong at all. If you can point specific issue and not just the pre-chorus and the ending so that i don't have to spent hours trying to understand what are your issue and if they are indeed correct or not would be so much better.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

I noticed that Rocksmith's version of Toxicity by System of a Down differs slightly from the Hal Leonard songbook in this small way...

Rocksmith DLC:

T6Y5qVU.jpg

The book:

IdRyP67.jpg

It sounds the same to me but I guess I just expected the official DLC to match up with the official songbooks, assuming that they both are licensed from the same source.  Not a big deal in this case though.  It sounds the same and doesn't seem like it changes the difficulty one way or the other.

Ubisoft does a pretty good job (definitely better than the average CDLC creator), but yes - they often aren't perfect. Here and there are cases of undercharting, overcharting, and bad tones.

Random examples off the top of my head: The first slide in Muse's Hysteria, the top-to-bottom chord rakes at the end of choruses in Crimson's Don't Stop.

When I picked up the Royal Blood pack and got rid of my old customs, I was displeased to find out that the ODLC for Figure It Out had all kinds of nonsense charted on 1st string. Wish I could get that old custom back.  :P

Gamut now active again on Youtube!

Gamut on Twitch

Gamut on Twitter

Gamut Customs

~

Come join us in the Rocksmith Championship!

• Administrator

@@Gamut the muse song is the case were they didn't wanted to chart stuff that are non supported technique as it's a pick scrap, it's something that they've charted only later on and if they redid the DLC today, it would likely be different.

Same for Don't Stop, it's an on disc songs, they heavily changed how much things they charted by now and it would likely be hugely different if they go back to it.

@@preventDefault They did took some different approach on some cases compare to tab book but it's very rare that tab book are actually more official than RS chart are, they aren't usually made by the artist themself and are just transcription made by hear by people the same way the team at Ubisoft work.

• Like 2

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

@@Gamut the muse song is the case were they didn't wanted to chart stuff that are non supported technique as it's a pick scrap, it's something that they've charted only later on and if they redid the DLC today, it would likely be different.

Same for Don't Stop, it's an on disc songs, they heavily changed how much things they charted by now and it would likely be hugely different if they go back to it.

There's the slide up, and then there's the pick slide. They should have had the slide, that thing's iconic!

I do think they're doing better lately. But I don't think them being old is a defense. Arpegs have been a thing the entirety of RS2014's lifespan, they could have easily put that chord in the chart as picked!

Though I do need to eat my words a bit - after reviewing Figure It Out, I had never noticed there's an Alternate Lead. Which is the chart as played without wacky upshifting... and it's totally a better chart than the old custom. :lol:

Gamut now active again on Youtube!

Gamut on Twitch

Gamut on Twitter

Gamut Customs

~

Come join us in the Rocksmith Championship!

• Administrator

But that's the thing, old release clearly lack some of the experience they gained over the years of making DLC so the older the DLC you point to the more likely you are to find issue that would likely not be there if it was released today.

That doesn't mean that recent DLC don't have any issue at all. It's also easy to argue on some decision they might have taken but that's also true on any of my CDLC. I take some decision that are definitly arguable. Doesn't mean that i'm not aware of the possible issue but just that it was a compromise i was ready to make.

And for that, they are a full team of experienced musician and are going through QA that discuss this, i doubt they take some decision lightly but they also have to work with what the software can and can't do.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

@@Netrngr There's case where some choices regarding fringering or strings played were somewhat debatable but never blatantly wrong. Note that the DLC version of Hysteria isn't the original recording from 1987 which is likely what the official tab book refers to.

Also please, when you are going to claim something is wrong, allow us to not have to go around all the internet to proove your point. So if you have clear example, timestamp and such that would make it clear for everyone what are your specific issue with the chart, it would be so much better for everyone.

Also, just give a look/listen and nothing jumped at me as blatantly wrong at all. If you can point specific issue and not just the pre-chorus and the ending so that i don't have to spent hours trying to understand what are your issue and if they are indeed correct or not would be so much better.

I almost inserted a text tab of both. Really I did but I was like man anyone can hear that and just noted the location of the offending notes. Again Im not saying Ubi is doing a bad job at all. I just was wondering if anyone else had noticed it. I'm sure they have their reasons for charting things the way they do it just seemed odd is all. I'm pretty sure none of mine are perfect but I am workin on it  ;)

Just to be clear this wasn't intended to trash on Ubi in any way nor to get folks up in arms, merely an observation.

Making these things is not easy by far.

*edited as to not sound like a crack addled monkey*

• Administrator

Don't worry, it's always interesting to see some people opinion about charts and i don't think they never made any mistakes at all but i still haven't seen any reliable proof regarding actual wrong note in a chart.

But i have indeed seen issue regarding strings or fingering that are debatable in many occasion with reliable proof pointing toward decision that the notetracker team took that might not have been the "correct" solution but that mostly includes RS1 era of ODLC or extremely hard songs where only a few guitarist would have ever notice the issue anyway (and some mistakes have been fixed).

Which is why i take a lot of precaution when i see someone arguing that the tab is "obviously" wrong somewhere especially when the reference used are debatable. Tab book aren't necessarily good or bad. It heavily depends on who was the author of the transcription but it's rarely the actual guitarist/bassist so it shouldn't be taken as any kind of "absolute truth". Some artist have even pointed toward issue regarding transcription that was done for some books.

But i'm really interesting in what you have to show to back up your claim, it really interest me!

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

Ok so I THINK I have discovered where the difference lies. Bear with me here. SO as we all know, just like handwriting songs evolve over time and the bazillion times an artist plays the song. They also find things that sound better to them and incorporate them into the song. I think this is where I'm seeing differences and this is what's throwing me. 

Def Leppard is one of my favorite bands from back in the day and I own pretty much every album they have released save REALLY early stuff you just cant lay your hands on , but Im trying. 

To this song, The hysteria album was released in 87 and the Rock of Ages Collection was released in 2005. That's a lot of time for a song to evolve, especially a popular one like Hysteria. Given that Ubisoft uses the original studio recordings to create the ODLCs I can see where this differs from the later recordings of the song. Later versions of the song have some differences in the bassline but the original  release is pretty much spot on so yeah I see where the issue is.

I do have to say that I really like the evolution of the song and prefer the later versions where slight note changes were made such as in the pre chorus:

G:----------------------------------------------------------------

D:----------------------------------------------------------------

A:5-5-3-----5-5-3-----5-5-3-----3-2-5---------------------

E:----------------------------------------------------------------

This has a very nice sound to it and is what is in the book however this is charted off of a much later recording.

I also found this on a tab someone else wrote and it sounds really nice on the end. In the original its is only done once and the rest of the notes are on the 5th fret of the a string all the way out. Try it with this arrangement and it really sounds nice .

G:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

D:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A:55555555-------------55555555-------------55555555-----------55555555--------------

E:-------------33333333-------------33333333-------------3333333-------------33333333- 

Thanks for the input firekorn. As always you are awesome. Give the above a try. It does add a bit of nuance to the bass track.