mikewiehle

Question

I have six songs that are complete m.psarc files, but they sound terrible with the tones I have.

If anyone could redo the tones and post the songs, please do it.

Thanks, Mike

Songs are:  Layla, Lust for Life, Jumping Jack Flash, Finest Worksong (REM), and Heavy Metal.

Link to folder with m.psarc files.  All should already have dynamic difficulty done.

Mediafire Link: http://www.mediafire.com/folder/u26bxpenq6bnn

14 answers to this question

On an unrelated note, if you're creating the studio version of Layla.....be advised that the recording was sped up about a 1/4 step, so you'll need to figure out the actual "A" frequency (440hz is standard) and adjust it properly in the toolkit when you import the instrument tracks. My guess is that it'll end up being somewhere around A 450, but it'll take a keen ear to get it right.You other option would be to use some software to slow down your audio file to render it back to A 440, which hardly seems easier than the above.If you don't adjust this, I guarantee that it will sound terrible :) and your efforts will be wasted. Just tune your guitar a 1/4 step in any direction and play along with your favorite song....Also Duane Allman is just insanely out of tune (independent of the tape speed) on the recording, so godspeed to you!!

The Led Zeppelin Discography thread

learning to chart > asking someone else to do it

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Lester Bangs

If you're looking for a decent Clapton and Allman tones from that album, feel free to import the ones from my Have You Ever Loved a Woman CDLC. They're not perfect but they sound pretty close to my ears.http://customsforge.com/topic/2171-have-you-ever-loved-a-woman/

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Lester Bangs

Like I said, these songs are available for anyone else to finish with good tones.  I am already working on other songs with tones I know will work.  Please have at them, the hard part of synching all of the notes, and wwise stuff is done.  They just need tones.

Thanks, Mike

It'd be much easier for you to plug in a tone, since you already have all of the necessary source material on your machine. This would also make it far easier for you to support any future revisions/updates.You'd just need to load up your template in the toolkit and "import" the tones from my CDLC. Then obviously ensure that your pre-existing arrangements use the tones.This is what @@engleg and I are getting at. It's much easier to import a tone than it is to unpack someone else CDLC, inspect/approve all of the components, and repack it.

I have six songs that are complete m.psarc files, but they sound terrible with the tones I have.

If anyone could redo the tones and post the songs, please do it.

Thanks, Mike

Songs are:  Layla, Lust for Life, Jumping Jack Flash, Finest Worksong (REM), and Heavy Metal.

Link to folder with m.psarc files.  All should already have dynamic difficulty done.

Mediafire Link: http://www.mediafire.com/folder/u26bxpenq6bnn

For Finest Worksong, I recommend the clean tone from La Sara's Love That's Gone (forgive me if I didn't get that title exactly right). Sounds like it's got a bit of chorus and reverb on it, should be perfect for the finest hoooooouuuurrrrrr (ironically, I realized after making that joke, that the "finest hour" part is basically the only part that's NOT clean. Oh well, I meant for all the parts that aren't that).

I'm gonna do some REM soon. Finest Worksong is a funny choice, especially since it's basically 1 chord through the entire song, IIRC (except choruses).

Words of wisdom for CDLC charters:

"When in doubt, steal a tone from Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son"

- Billkwando

Download my L'Arc~en~Ciel Ken "Love Driver Cat" custom Inlays here

I had created a cdlc of Heavy Metal (Assuming it's the one by Hagar), and used a tone by Rush. But I had used the Unboxed version, rather than the Red version. I point this out because I do believe there are more tabs for the version from Red.

Thank you all for all of the ways I can finish these songs.  That is not what this post is for, First; Heavy Metal is not Hagar version.  Next, I have tried several tones for Layla including Have you ever....  None sounded good. 

I do not think you are getting it - I am done with these.  Anyone who wishes to do the tones can do so, I figured it was better to post the songs with completed tabbing then throw songs out.  I will never work on these again.

Thank you

No, we all understand exactly what you're saying. We're just trying to encourage you not to just drop the mic and go "I'm out".....but it obviously didn't work.

When I start doing R.E.M. customs, which is inevitable...since they're my favorite band...I will try and check back and see if the link is dead, and if it's not, I'll finish it. However, since Finest Worksong is pretty much my least favorite song (barring most of Monster), it's not going to be the first song I work on.

- Billkwando

Let me put this as cordially and cheerfully as I possibly can: Your general disposition toward those of use that are trying to assist you could....well...use some improvement. I've contributed to a few of your threads, and the common theme is that you tend to completely discount the advice and assistance of the community. I sincerely hope I'm misinterpreting your written words, because...dude...we're trying to help! And 99.9% of us seem to be super nice people :)I should apologize, though, since it wasn't clear to me that you were intending to just "give" these songs to someone who would add a custom tone. Had I known that, I wouldn't have initially responded by giving you a usable tone. However I must encourage you to try and add a tone (any tone) to someone else's song. Then you'll see what I meant in my previous comment. It'll take you 2 mins to plug in a new tone, since you already have all of the usable files on your machine ready to go. It'll take far longer for someone else to finish one of yours.With that aside, I just converted, unpacked, and imported your Layla custom. In all honesty, I'd have to start all over from scratch in order to make this one playable. I'm not sure how you synced it, most of the beat markers have been moved, but virtually none of them are synced with the timing of the recording. As a result, most of the notes are off as well, and it's missing a good deal of notes as well.I was going to try and pick up where you left off, but I'm not feeling up to it.

Well, let's cut him from slack -- he's from Germany, not the States, there's probably some cultural differences that are getting lost in translation here.

I think he just became frustrated -- maybe he's a perfectionist and just can't stand the idea of not having a 'perfect' tone for the song.

One thing about tones -- they're always going to vary depending on which guitar you're using. My current guitar has active pickups --which I hate, actually -- so I have no way of knowing what a tone will sound like on a 'real' guitar. ()well, other than plugging one of my other guitars in, but I really like this one).

@@mikewiehle -- I think you should go ahead and add 'generic' tones for the songs. They don't have to be perfect, just usable for others. Post the songs to the database -- leave a note asking people to suggest/supply updates to the tone there. But as long as the tones are close enough, most people are going to be happy with just that.

I fully understand the feeling where you've poured a lot of effort into a project and just hit a wall regarding your own abilities. You don't want to give it up and just flush all that effort down the toilet, but you've reached a point where you personally are just flat out "done", so it's easy just to push it off and say "here, if anybody wants it".

It's just that quitting before adding tones is like running a marathon and giving up 50 feet before the finish line.....and then asking somebody else to back up and run half the marathon for you. It just seems like an odd place to give up when there are people who are even willing to help carry you for those last few steps.

• Like 1

- Billkwando

I think the other thing is that we're all reluctant to take over someone else's work. I think he'll get a better response if he posts these to the database -- but they have to have at least a basic tone, otherwise they'll crash.

None of these songs are in my wheelhouse, otherwise I'd probably give it a go.