How can a beginner go into making guitar tones for own CDLC?

TheHusky

Heya all!

So i've been into making CDLC for RS14 for quite some time now and I made a few of them by now. But what all of them had in common is the lack of their own tone. I cant seem to be able to find or make a correct custom tone to go with the CDLC that im making, so my songs are usually just sitting in my project folder as im stuck with giving them the correct tone for the song. 

Sure there is a Tone Request forum section but that hasn't been used in a while with any replies that tell you what tone you're supposed to use. 

Is there a way most of you amazing CDLC creators use to create the custom tone for the song? Do you somehow find the gear used by the guitarist at the time of the recording? Does it just come down to "have an ear for it"? Because currently I can not tell Overdrive from Distortion etc.

Any educational answers would be highly appreciative. <3

I've been playing my lovely Epiphone Les Paul Jr. (yes, the bundle guitar) since December of 2013. So far I've been more than enjoying the ride and i love playing.

If you're reading this and you make custom DLC, thank you as i enjoy getting CDLC!

• Administrator

Trial and error.

One thing is to use something that will offer a base (finding a similar kind of tone in oDLC of CDLC is a great start).

Then it's a matter of tweaking one thing at a time and seeing how it actually works with the CDLC itself.

Also one good thing to look at is actual rig rundown of the gear from the artist. It can offer you some insight in what is actually in the signal chain and in what order which can help a lot to get a good start.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Trial and error.

One thing is to use something that will offer a base (finding a similar kind of tone in oDLC of CDLC is a great start).

Then it's a matter of tweaking one thing at a time and seeing how it actually works with the CDLC itself.

Also one good thing to look at is actual rig rundown of the gear from the artist. It can offer you some insight in what is actually in the signal chain and in what order which can help a lot to get a good start.

Is there a website where i would be able to see what gear they used for the song? As far as I know, its not pretty often they say what they used.

I've been playing my lovely Epiphone Les Paul Jr. (yes, the bundle guitar) since December of 2013. So far I've been more than enjoying the ride and i love playing.

If you're reading this and you make custom DLC, thank you as i enjoy getting CDLC!

• Administrator

@@TheHusky Google is your friend for that really, there's tones of video on youtube and some specific site that tend to gather a lot of information but the more various sources you can find the better.

Note that many of those video tends to be made by some of the gear brand themself to showcase what they have in place with a given artist or by journalist from some guitar/gear magazine and the artist is rarely there but the tech that manage all the gear is.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

@@TheHusky Google is your friend for that really, there's tones of video on youtube and some specific site that tend to gather a lot of information but the more various sources you can find the better.

Note that many of those video tends to be made by some of the gear brand themself to showcase what they have in place with a given artist or by journalist from some guitar/gear magazine and the artist is rarely there but the tech that manage all the gear is.

What is a correct term to google here? I used "song name" pedals, "song name" gear, "song name" tone.

• Administrator

@@TheHusky rig rundown (which is why i used this term exactly) can get you very good result but the artist name plus gear and other question can get you pretty close.

@@KingCobra The issue i have with those site is that you have no clue how the signal chain is actually built but at least they link to their sources which can allow you to see how it's setup (and you usually also get info on when it's actually used during songs). It's a nice place to start but it might not have all the answers.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography