Error: Malformed Go Playalong XML file. Aborting.

Billkwando

What is this about?

Never seen this issue before.

https://mega.nz/#!l1EUVIDQ!NJHpxOR-pNDGDI06KKqjL_iSYOHlGdi72r06EU9EfVI

Words of wisdom for CDLC charters:

"When in doubt, steal a tone from Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son"

- Billkwando

Download my L'Arc~en~Ciel Ken "Love Driver Cat" custom Inlays here

For some reason, the first sync point has a negative timestamp. I've never seen a GPA XML file do this before, is this a feature of a newer version of Go PlayAlong? I'll probably have to have EOF ignore such sync points.

Edit: I made the necessary changes and it imports now, but it's quite a bit off sync. I found that changing the delay (first beat position) to 75 (this is the millisecond time) and allowing EOF to adjust the notes accordingly fixes the sync reasonably well after having listened to it up to the end of the first chorus.

For some reason, the first sync point has a negative timestamp. I've never seen a GPA XML file do this before, is this a feature of a newer version of Go PlayAlong? I'll probably have to have EOF ignore such sync points.

Edit: I made the necessary changes and it imports now, but it's quite a bit off sync. I found that changing the delay (first beat position) to 75 (this is the millisecond time) and allowing EOF to adjust the notes accordingly fixes the sync reasonably well after having listened to it up to the end of the first chorus.

I'm used to it being off sync, that's the known issue with GPA and LAME, isn't it? Normally I just have to drag the first line and line it up with wave, and it syncs perfectly

In the meantime, here's the imported first guitar part with the corrected delay timing:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/5i5u98wsl2faj54/L%27Arc%7Een%7ECiel-_Seventh_Heaven.eof

You should be able to use normal GP import in this project to add the desired instrument parts.

Thanks but I don't quite understand. I have it open in EOF and when I try to import the GP it gives me the same error.

And yes, it is a newer GPA and I'm not too impressed with it so far. It's not the newest version, though. They wanted me to pay again for that. I'd tell you what version it is if they didn't hide that info. If you need it, let me know, and I'll go dig up the installer.

- Billkwando

The sync issue could be another difference in interpretation between LAME and Go PlayAlong or it could be because EOF had to ignore the first sync point and just use the first one that was at or after 0 seconds.

If you open the EOF project I posted, and use regular Guitar Pro import to import the GP5 file (not the XML), it should work.

It's not putting the notes where they should be when I try to import from the GP file directly.

- Billkwando

I guess that has something to do with how some of the beats had to be dropped for having timestamps that were before 0 seconds. Here's a Windows test build if you would like to verify whether it allows you to import the GPA file as expected:

http://ignition.customsforge.com/eof/download/189

I keep hoping to get some time to finish the new pre-bend tech note status before formally releasing another hotfix, but life's been busy lately.

• Like 1

I guess that has something to do with how some of the beats had to be dropped for having timestamps that were before 0 seconds. Here's a Windows test build if you would like to verify whether it allows you to import the GPA file as expected:

http://ignition.customsforge.com/eof/download/189

I keep hoping to get some time to finish the new pre-bend tech note status before formally releasing another hotfix, but life's been busy lately.

Yup, that seems to have imported just fine, thanks :D

- Billkwando

• 1 month later...

I'm having this issue with a song I'm working on as well, first time I've ever run into the problem.

Here are links to the XML and GP5 files if you have a sec to look:

XML: https://www.dropbox.com/s/axmhvjcljnsb61p/1.%20Tighter%20%26%20Tighter.gp5?dl=0

GP5:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/axmhvjcljnsb61p/1.%20Tighter%20%26%20Tighter.gp5?dl=0

Hopefully it's not some noob thing I've missed elsewhere on the forum, only been making CDLCs for a couple of weeks, but my others have been fine.

Appreciate any help you can provide.

It looks like the Go PlayAlong XML file is not properly writing (presumably this is Go PlayAlong's fault) the ampersand in the GP5 file's name. I've added code to the GPA import logic to account for this, but in the meantime, if you edit the XML file in a text editor (ie. NotePad) so the line with the tag looks like this:

1. Tighter & Tighter.gp5
EOF is able to import it.

That worked, thanks so much for the help!

I didn't even think about the fact that special characters in song titles might cause problems, makes sense now.