We need a cdlc naming protocol

Laik

Question

When you create the cdlc, it auto-names the file for you so that's perfect, however i've noticed some cdlcs will have the title altered to include the authors name. 

This causes a problem when it is added to the front of the title as it makes it impossible to search for it, we need a rule that says the cdlc title must either begin with the artist or the song name and nothing else. If you're to add anything else, it should be to the end of the title. For eg:

Bad:

- iMadeThisLoL_CoolArtist_Track7_v1.psarc

Good:

- CoolArtist_Track7_v1_iMadeThisLoL.psarc

(Event better

- CoolArtist_Track7_v1.psarc)

When a cdlc is bad/broken and you need to delete it, you can't find the damn thing if it has some random name/text in the front of the title, especially when you have hundreds of cdlcs. Add stuff only to the end, it saves us from headaches.

• Like 1

15 answers to this question

• Administrator

I personally propose the band name song title name.Example:Linkin Park - In The End_p.psarcPros:

Clear view of Artist & Title

If a new version comes out, you will only have to REPLACE and not delete the other versionCons:Won't know the version of the songProposed Con Fixes:Come up with a program that can read information of CDLCs (song, artist, version, etc)

• Like 1

"Just remember: when something breaks, kick it as hard as you fucking can"

-Trent Reznor
Support Me (Via Patreon)

I think that once the CDLC has reached a final version the version number gets dropped. That would make it easy for people to know whether a CDLC is fully complete or not (for people who don't want to try out customs that still need work).

It would be nice if the charter's name could be added into the psarc's property sheet. But we can also add our names at the very end of the lyrics track, in the last couple of seconds at the fadeout.

Adding our names to the file name should be prohibited. It's all about the band and the song.

How can you know if a version will be the "final" version?

There might be further improvements made later; a slightly better tone; improved sections for riff-repeater; better automatic dynamic difficulty algorithm; a new bonus arrangement; etc

A version number less than 1.0 should signify that the creator still thinks the CDLC is not yet complete; 1.0 or greater should signify that the creator "thinks it is done", but there's no way to know if the 1.0 really will be "final." Mistakes happen! 

In my case, it's more like mistakes guaranteed... But I think there's a point where a custom can be considered '' finished" -- even if there's still room for future tweaks.

Once the sync is good and the tab is 100% accurate, all the arrangements have been done, and the tone is at least close. I think tone will never be perfect for everyone anyway -- my guitar has active pickups, for example, so it's got a distinct sound all its own (which I don't happen to like, but I'm too lazy to change the pickups).

It's not a big deal for me to go back and revise the customs I've made, because I've made a total of four at this point, working on my fifth right now. But some people have made 100 or 200 already -- I don't see them updating everything they've done. If they plan no further development on the file, it makes more sense to mark it as final.

That way, if there ARE mistakes, people will probably let it be known. :-P

But I'm not personally bothered by version numbers, works in progress, etc. It only takes a moment to download a new file after all.

[Artist_Name]-[Track_Title]-v[#.#]_[p|m].psarc (or otherwise extentioned for their platform.)

Personally my favorite naming scheme so far.

Linkin_Park-In_The_End-v1.3_p.psarc

Drowning_Pool-Bodies-v2.3_p.psarc

I personally like it this way better because 99% of the time I prefer to browse by artist. Matter of factly the only time I don't browse by artist would be in game, and the exception would be "Tuning."

Is there a need to convert the spaces to underscores?

I've got CDLC with spaces in the filenames and they work just fine.

My tweak to @@DarkAngel's scheme would be:

"[Artist Name] - [Track Title] - v[#.#]_[p|m].psarc" (or otherwise extentioned for their platform.)

e.g.

Linkin Park - In The End - v1.3_p.psarc

Drowning Pool - Bodies - v2.3_p.psarc

This makes it a little easier to see, IMO.

• Administrator

The toolkit use this convention :

Artist-name_Song-name_vX_extension

It is easier to keep this as a naming convention that going around make changes that are useless

But i'm still against keeping the version part since it is easier to just copy and replace the old file if they have the same name than to check which one is the last one.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

But i'm still against keeping the version part since it is easier to just copy and replace the old file if they have the same name than to check which one is the last one.

Easier for who? This makes it very difficult to tell if you've already got the same version. Files that are different should have different names!

• Administrator

Easier for the guy that download it. If you just download it, it should be the latest version you don't have to spot the difference since it is supposed to be replaced anyway in the DLC folder. you don't care to know which version it is, as long as you have the last one, which is the one you can download in almost no time and just drop it in your DLC folder.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

Everyone has made good points and i'm glad to see you all agree that we should have band name, song in the title first. 

I can see benefits for having version number in the title and not having it. Copy/pasting a new version overwrites the old one, making no further effort necessary to delete outdated files. However, a major drawback is you don't see which version you're currently rocking, so i vote for the current format, which seems to be the best: Artist_Song_VersionNo.psarc.

We need to have it so it is standard across all cdlcs and it should be a rule to leave the name as such without altering it.

I use whatever the default is in the toolkit, which I think is band name_song title_v#

I also always add an underscore to the beginning of the file name of whatever I create or download so the customs aggregate at the top of the list when sorted alphabetically in the Rocksmith dlc folder.  If a standard is created, which  is probably unrealistic and unenforceable, I think this should be included.

I guess I'm different from a lot of you in that, if I'm not actively learning/playing a custom, it doesn't stay in my DLC folder. Instead, I keep a second folder for all customs, and it's easy to drop them in, take them out as needed. I keep a shortcut to the DLC folder on my desktop.

I prefer having version numbers -- at least for customs that might still change sooner or later -- since it's easy enough to delete the older versions, or just leave them there (since they're not in the Rocksmith DLC folder).

Band name should definitely come first -- there shouldn't be any discussion at all on this one!

On the other hand, if psarcs had an editable property sheet, like mp3s, we'd be able to sort them by band name, by song name, by genre, even by version number and chart author.

• Like 1

• Administrator

They have the information somewhere since RS use them but windows can't seem to exploit them by himself (and it's probably the same for mac).

i have a good idea while writing this, creating a program to act like a library to put them in RS or deleting them and keeping them up to date, so no problem with the way people name it the program should be able to get the information that RS use, sort them as you wish (kind of like in the CDLC database but for your own DLC folder). I'm not actually able to make this by myself but i think it would pretty cool to have this kind of tool.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography