Exception(NullReferenceException) issue

Berneer

Hi,

I am so pleased with the CFSM tool and it's updates than now fix tones issues that last year the CFSM classified as corrupt and no longer do!

Near the end of Remastering my 3000+ CDLC suddenly CFSM (latest beta version) died on my PC. It seems to kill the batch remastering process when it encountered dreddfoxx's Alice Cooper - Halo of flies . I reboot my PC to clear up any issues but once I reboot it still gives me the following debug  info:

[2018-01-24 08:56:26]: + <WARNING> 'D3DX9_42.dll' file validation is disabled ...
[2018-01-24 08:56:26]: + CustomsForge Song Manager (v1.4.2.8 - PC BETA VERSION)
[2018-01-24 08:56:26]: + .NET (v4.0.30319.42000)
[2018-01-24 08:56:26]: + RocksmithToolkitLib (v2.8.4.1-5f9a8079 BETA)
[2018-01-24 08:56:26]: Populating SongManager GUI ...
[2018-01-24 08:56:26]: Loaded File: songsInfo.xml
[2018-01-24 08:56:26]: Performing quick rescan of song collection ...
[2018-01-24 08:56:26]: Saved File: appSettings.xml
[2018-01-24 08:56:26]: Saved File: dgvSongsMaster.xml
[2018-01-24 08:56:26]: Raw songs count: 186
[2018-01-24 08:56:26]: <ERROR>: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Rocksmith2014\dlc\AliceCooper-HaloOfFlies-dreddfoxx-v.1.0-RS2014-RR-DD-Lead,Rhythm,Bass,Vocals-Estd-ACESHIGH_p.psarc  -  Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
[2018-01-24 08:56:26]: Parsing archives from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Rocksmith2014\dlc took: 164 (msec)
[2018-01-24 08:56:26]: Saved File: songsInfo.xml
[2018-01-24 08:56:26]: Loaded File: appSettings.xml
[2018-01-24 08:56:26]: Loaded File: dgvSongsMaster.xml
[2018-01-24 08:56:26]: Exception(NullReferenceException): Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Then I uninstall and reinstall CFSM and reboot PC, then open CFSM as Admin and even remove dreddfoxx custom and the debug info says:

[2018-01-24 09:26:49]: + <WARNING> 'D3DX9_42.dll' file validation is disabled ...
[2018-01-24 09:26:49]: + CustomsForge Song Manager (v1.4.2.8 - PC BETA VERSION)
[2018-01-24 09:26:49]: + .NET (v4.0.30319.42000)
[2018-01-24 09:26:49]: + RocksmithToolkitLib (v2.8.4.1-5f9a8079 BETA)
[2018-01-24 09:26:49]: Populating SongManager GUI ...
[2018-01-24 09:26:49]: Loaded File: songsInfo.xml
[2018-01-24 09:26:49]: Performing quick rescan of song collection ...
[2018-01-24 09:26:49]: Saved File: appSettings.xml
[2018-01-24 09:26:49]: Saved File: dgvSongsMaster.xml
[2018-01-24 09:26:49]: Raw songs count: 185
[2018-01-24 09:26:49]: Parsing archives from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Rocksmith2014\dlc took: 61 (msec)
[2018-01-24 09:26:49]: Saved File: songsInfo.xml
[2018-01-24 09:26:49]: Loaded File: appSettings.xml
[2018-01-24 09:26:49]: Loaded File: dgvSongsMaster.xml
[2018-01-24 09:26:49]: Exception(NullReferenceException): Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I am completely stalled. Note that when I now attempt to start CFSM it does try to start parsing but then debug text file pops open.

Link to my debug file:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gu9ct43pqI470mTgIlN9xcEUXu4OByO5

My PC:

Dell XPS 8900

Intel Core i7-6700K - 4GHz

RAM: 32 GB

Windows 10 Home Version 1709, OS Build 16299.192

I supoose my .Net is the one in the debug messaging.

I do have the latest nightly build toolkit installed though the debug messaging seems to reference v2.8.4.1-5f9a8079 BETA .....?!?

My antivirus and firewall is off

I used the default installation directory for RS

Any advice?

Edit: Oh yes, somewhere along the way I got this dialog box. I just got it again trying to install Toolkit and CFSM on another Windows 10 PC, Core i5. Appreciate any help!

Edit 2: Darn, same dialog box as in Edit 1, when I try to install on my laptop (ASUS UX303UB), also with Windows 10, Core i7 6500U, 2.5GHz, 12GB of RAM. An old version of CFSM did run properly though. Didn't pay attention to which version as it uninstalled but it was from after May 2017 when I purchased the laptop.

I think the latest beta CFSM is solid because it remastered over 2500 CDLC with no unexpected behaviour. I'm stuck.

Edit 3: The Latest "Release" 1.4.1.4 seems to work (just tried my laptop), as it parsed through all my /dlc contents (containing just ODLC).

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

Check out the Tech Notes Tutorial Version 1.1 // Chordify Tutorial Rough Draft.

• Developer

The CFSM release version and the beta version store data differently, so you can't just switch back and forth.

You may need to completely delete 'My Documents/CFSM' subfolder before reinstalling the latest CFSM beta.

Give that a shot and let me know how it goes.

dreddfox CDLC may contain extra meta data which may or may not be compatible with CFSM, but that is just a guess.  So remove them from the collection like you did is good idea for testing.

The exception may be indicating that  'dgvSongsMaster.xml' is corrupt.  Deleting 'My Documents/CFSM' subfolder should take care of this.

The last error message screen shot 'elevation' may have to do with Win10 Defender.  You need to add the exe's to the whitelist of approved apps.

Are you tired of AV False Positives???  Now accepting donations on my website (Click Here)  Your donation will be used towards buying a code signing certificate.   CGT is now compatible and safe to use with Rocksmith® 2014 Remastered ... 

Latest Build of Custom Game Toolkit (CGT) w/ Game Save Gigbox       Latest Build of Rocksmith Toolkit       Latest Build of Customs Forge Song Manager (CFSM)

All bug reports and help requests please include your: OS, CPU, AV, .NET Framework versions along with a description of the issue (include screenshots of error if possible).  It should go without having to say ... make sure you are using the latest build before submitting bug reports or asking for help.

*  Remember to use your magic words (please and thank you) if you would like a response.  Don't use phrases like 'thanks anyhow' as it is demeaning.

Hi cozy,

Thanks a bunch for your response!

I thought doing Windows App uninstall removed the CFSM, but it left the  directory in  Documents and in Program files (x86). Having now deleting those, the program parses my /DLC folder contents, but does give me the following dialog citing an Unhandled Exception, and does so every time I open.

See here.

Here is a copy paste of all the words in the text box of that dialog box.

This reminds me, that shortly before CFSM 1.4.2.8 crashed on me, I got a very similar, if not identical dialog box. It is gibberish to me. :(

My AV is off but I added CFSM as an exclusion.

I can say "Continue anyway" so I will see if I can muddle through some 300 or so remastering CDLC (that worked 100% on my laptop with CFSM 1.4.1.4) and will report back after kids in bed tonight.

Cheers!

P.S. @@dreddfoxx CDLC that he remastered this summer are generally throwing curve balls at CFSM. Some are labeled with repair status: "Not repaired" which is not possible. Today with CFSM 1.4.1.4 it even told me  that they were MAX5 but they have 3 arrangements (as verified in-game): Ex:

L.A.Guns-ElectricGypsy-DreddFoxx-v2.1(RM)-RS2014PC-RR-DD-LRBV-Estd-ACESHIGH_p.max.psarc

Metallica-LastCaressGreenHell-dreddfoxx-v.2.1(RM)-RS2014PC-RR-DD-Lead,Rhythm,Bass,Vocals-Estd-ACESHIGH_p.max.psarc

Queen-NeedYourLovingTonight-dreddfoxx.-v.2.1(RM)-RS2014PC-RR-DD-Lead,Rhythm,Bass,Vocals-Estd-ACESHIGH_p.max.psarc

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

• Developer

Maybe Windows 10 is throwing the curve balls ... Seems like there are a few other NullReferenceException being reported elsewhere: https://www.google.com/search?biw=1026&bih=503&ei=9RdpWtiaOYGTjgSrjI-ICg&q=NET471REL1LAST&oq=NET471REL1LAST&gs_l=psy-ab.12...0.0.0.100477.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1c..64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.8rcoQgzrUkw

Win32 Version: 4.7.2600.0 built by: NET471REL1LAST seems to be bothersome.  You may want to try uninstalling Net4.7 and then reinstall Net4.0 first.  Then reinstall CFSM and see if the problem persists.

I know you said you have AV disabled.  Just want to make sure the bugger Windows Defender is disabled too or that all CFSM exe's are white listed in Defender.

I haven't gotten any other CFSM bug reports lately from Windows 10 users so not sure what else to try. 

Are you tired of AV False Positives???  Now accepting donations on my website (Click Here)  Your donation will be used towards buying a code signing certificate.   CGT is now compatible and safe to use with Rocksmith® 2014 Remastered ... 

Latest Build of Custom Game Toolkit (CGT) w/ Game Save Gigbox       Latest Build of Rocksmith Toolkit       Latest Build of Customs Forge Song Manager (CFSM)

All bug reports and help requests please include your: OS, CPU, AV, .NET Framework versions along with a description of the issue (include screenshots of error if possible).  It should go without having to say ... make sure you are using the latest build before submitting bug reports or asking for help.

*  Remember to use your magic words (please and thank you) if you would like a response.  Don't use phrases like 'thanks anyhow' as it is demeaning.

Sounds like accepting to continue on despite the unhandled exception issue worked, since I was able to complete remastering all my remaining CDLC. So it seems a partial solution was to not only uninstall the crashed CFSM but also to ensure the corresponding directories in Program Files(x86) and in Documents are uninstalled, then to install a fresh copy of CFSM. When I installed the fresh copy it did tell me it had to uninstall the old copy, but hey, whatever, it worked, albeit with a "unhandled exception" message (repeated here).

So I didn't need to rollback my .Net from 4.7.1 back to 4.0. Phew. Though now I know that is in my back pocket if I need it.

Thanks @@cozy1 for getting me up and running and for your usual helpfulness and this awesome batch tool you created. Thanks to the CFSM dev's. Awesome.

Cheers!

• Developer

I'll add an exception handler in the next release of CFSM to see if we can find a permafix.  Thanks.

NOTE:  If you are using Windows 10 and you receiving any CFSM errrors, please make sure you have added the CustomsForgeSongManager.exe and CFSMSetup.exe files to your Windows Defender white list of approved applications.  Google search if you are not familiar with how add an application to the white list.