Question about tones in CDLCs

Netrngr

Question

Hey guys,

This is just a general question. I assume the tones are based on unlocks in a lot of CDLCs. The question is do I have to have the unlocked tone when i play the CDLC or is independant of what I have unlocked. The reason I ask is I have noticed that certain tones used on some CDLCs sound pretty awful when I play them and I doubt that is the way they were designed. For example ZZTop - La Grange. The Tone barely makes anything above a thumpy buzz when i play it. I can put a splitter inline and use my amp to clear it up but it just does not seem to be the way it was designed to me.

Thanks for any replies in advance. 

• Like 1

7 answers to this question

go download PinkFloyd - Comfortably Numb ... and make sure it's the one from the PULSE album!  To me personally I think it's the best solo tone in the game as far as E standard goes.  It's by far the cleanest I've heard thus far...  You can to my knowledge use any tone in the game you want.. just select it under authentic tone, and if you want to customize it, do it after you've selected the one you want and saved it to a tone stick... after that you can go edit it to your liking if you want.. you can also edit it immediately just be selecting it.. but i prefer to save it first because sometimes I'll edit the tone and i forget to save it.  Anyway I hope that answered your question.    Also make sure when you calibrate your guitar.. to do it everyday you start to play the game..  Unless your guitar sits in a room, or a case indoors , then chances are the will move, pushing yoru strings farther, or closer away from your pick ups..  also make sure you clean your strings after you play... It may sound great one day and then after a 3 hr jam session after your hands were oiley, and had god knows what on them before you played.. it might sound like total shit  the next time..

I tune on the neck pick up with the tone knob alll the way down as I was told this will help you get the most accurate tune...  I don't know if it's true or not but thus far seems to be working great...  Anyway  then i switch on my guitar to the middle selection where i have both both the neck, and the bridge pick up selected, and i turn the tone knob about 4\5th's to 3\5th's of the way up and the volume i turn about 8 to 9 / 10th's the way up... and then lightly palm mute  your strings at the beginning and use a pick you can actually "STRUM" with!  i started casually and work up to as fast and as hard as i can without digging into the strings and plucking, and when it says to mute the strings again i just tap my strings with both hands or with my fretting hand and let it ring out what's left.  after i go through the tuning and it's done, i switch over to my bridge pick up, and turn both knobs up and then tone knob to whatever soundst he best at that point.. 

This is just my tips for a better tone.. You might also mess with your pick ups.. I keep a little screw driver set in my bag solely for this and for adjusting intonation on the tuneomatic bridge i have on my ESP LTD MH100QM"NT...  Anyway  the tone in this game can be royal shit too if you're using something like Bluetooth,, or shit settings for audio...  If you can use an optical cable I plug that into my 7.1 surround sound turtle beach DSS adapter, and then run an auxiliary cable to my portable bose when i was to crank it, or i use my turtle beach X32 headset when i cant crank it.. I have zero latency issues and it sounds hella good..  But if i don't have the optical cable it sounds like run over dog shit in my opinion.

I check it religiously. I've done a full setup on my bass per factory specs but went back through it after i changed out my pickups and shielded everything . I was aware you could select a tone, which i did, but as soon as I load the song/songs in question it swaps the tone to whatever is selected For instance, Joan Jet and the Blackhearts - Hate Myself for Loving You... I wen in and edited the tone after loading and removed one of the distortion blades and tweaked the one that was left and got a really clean sounding distort.. basically an overdrive that sounded really good. I saved it but when I went to play the song again it was again the really muddy sounding dist as before. When I loaded up the song none of my changes were there. Figured I may have not saved it so I made the changes again, made sure I saved, and once again on loading its the same old tone set up.
It's not that big a deal as my amp can easily over power my PC and Rocksmith but would be nice to either get the unlock pack or simply fix what sounds bad. Hauling out gear when I want to play vs simply plugging in is a bit of a pain sometimes. 

• Like 1

• Administrator

@@Netrngr Some CDLC have incredibly bad tone cause some user basically do it blindly. It's not always the case at all so there's no magical trick to fix it and it can't be linked to part that you haven't unlocked since it's mostly different skins and only a few rare "cab" that i don't think anyone would sanely use...

As for the one you changed but didn't have any changes in game, it seems like you missed a step somewhere or did something wrong.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

I check it religiously. I've done a full setup on my bass per factory specs but went back through it after i changed out my pickups and shielded everything . I was aware you could select a tone, which i did, but as soon as I load the song/songs in question it swaps the tone to whatever is selected For instance, Joan Jet and the Blackhearts - Hate Myself for Loving You... I wen in and edited the tone after loading and removed one of the distortion blades and tweaked the one that was left and got a really clean sounding distort.. basically an overdrive that sounded really good. I saved it but when I went to play the song again it was again the really muddy sounding dist as before. When I loaded up the song none of my changes were there. Figured I may have not saved it so I made the changes again, made sure I saved, and once again on loading its the same old tone set up.

It's not that big a deal as my amp can easily over power my PC and Rocksmith but would be nice to either get the unlock pack or simply fix what sounds bad. Hauling out gear when I want to play vs simply plugging in is a bit of a pain sometimes. 

AHhh I know what your problem is... Save your tone to a tone stick or number.. For instance it only lets you save 3 different tone sticks.. typically this would be saving to 2, 3, & 4, on your keyboard.  After you save it click back on your tone stick settings and press whatever number key you want to assign it too.. You're good to go

The reason the tone switches back int he game is because #1 on your keyboard is the tone that is set for that song...  So meaning if i create a tone and im playing around with it.. Once you start a new song it switches over to #1 which is the games tone, or better put the automatic tone assigned for that particular song.  if you want to switch and play the song with the tone you just created.  Press 2, 3, or 4 whichever you assigned the tone too and there you go!  You can also on tone selector click on balance, and you can  really crank the tone up or down if it's to vague...  

Hope this helps!

• Like 2

It sounds to me like

a. You aren't aware of how the tone slots work

b. You've had the misfortune to download one of the many CDLCs with shitty or nonexistent tones.

When you save a tone, you want to select a tone slot number for it, which will allow you to hit a number key on your keyboard, after the song starts, to change to your chosen tone.

I spend a huge amount of time trying to get the tones in my CDLCs sounding as close to perfect as possible, and it drives me insane that so many people just download tabs off the net and slap them up as RS songs, with zero effort, craft, or love.

• Like 2

Words of wisdom for CDLC charters:

"When in doubt, steal a tone from Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son"

- Billkwando

Download my L'Arc~en~Ciel Ken "Love Driver Cat" custom Inlays here

Thanks guys. That sounds like the issue. I haven't assigned them to anything. I will give it a whirl!

Good luck! :D

Words of wisdom for CDLC charters:

"When in doubt, steal a tone from Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son"

- Billkwando

Download my L'Arc~en~Ciel Ken "Love Driver Cat" custom Inlays here