WIP: Shinedown - What a Shame / Need beta test

Toopee

Hi there,

I'm working on that DLC, but to make sure about its quality, I'd like some feedback before I officially send it to Ignition.

Note that the Lead part is the only track ready to be tested (maybe the Bass too), still got some work on the other ones (Alt Lead + Rhythm).

Remarks, comments, advice, critics, anything will be appreciated :)

Edit: v1 uploaded here (but comments are still welcome)

http://www.mediafire.com/?pcnt59ew48291

• Administrator

The tone seems to not fit, did you used the one that are on the official Shinedown DLC?

It's a lot of arpeggios yet there's no handshape or any kind of indication that this should be played as arpeggios at all.

The ending chord for the is just a strict power chord, there's no sus2 at the end. Note that the the D string is played with the pinky and not the ring finger if you want to play all the slides as indicated so the fingering for the chord should indicate it properly.

The solo seems incredibly weird, it makes no sense the way it's indicated, there's way too much hand movement required and some bend seems to have weird timing, right now it's just a mess.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Thanks, that's extremely helpful.

I'll make adjustements accordingly.

I used the official Shinedown tones, except for the chorus on the rhythm part I made myself.

I tried to find something to get the same warm tone for the clean part at the beginning of lead tracks, but couldn't find anything close.

I have to admit my beginner level, and my knowledge close to zero in terms of tone arrangement, but the kind of feedback you gave me will lead me the right way.

Question: as an experienced user, do you think I should remove the titles from Ignition and keep asking for beta tests, or upload and improve quality with later versions? (that's why I think some kind of rating would be useful)

Note about arpeggios: I realized that, but on the official DLC "Second Chance", at the beginning of the song, there's also arpeggios that are displayed as chords. That's why I didn't bother, but I definitely could change that.

I'll probably have more questions while editing the songs, I'll let you know.

• Administrator

Question: as an experienced user, do you think I should remove the titles from Ignition and keep asking for beta tests, or upload and improve quality with later versions?

Nop, you are free to update your record as much as you like and it's by putting things up there that you'll get some feedback and it's by doing lots of CDLC and reading what is going on in the EOF and toolkit discussion that you'll learn a ton of stuff to put better work faster.

When i say arpeggios, it doesn't mean that you need to use the arpeggios marking but you can use the handshape marking in EOF that will do exactly what you see in Second Chance which is in general a lot more practical to use to indicate arpeggios section than the actual arpeggio marking.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

Ok, so I've spent more time than I would admit to try to understand how a handshape is supposed to be displayed...

I thought you were talking about arpeggios the way Guitar Pro see them:

rgpeQN6.jpg

A bit like something we see sometimes on Rocksmith like for Creep (Stone Temple Pilots)

D6ctYYd.jpg

or more formally like this:

TUxGuWd.jpg

But most of the time just like a chord like on Second Chance by Shinedown:

9PD9sU6.jpg

I finally understood it's about displaying the fingers at a specific place for a long series of notes, like indeed I should have done on this CDLC...

This leads me to a question:  is there any rule about when to use one or the other of the 3 ways to show an arpeggio? (not the handshape)

• Administrator

The first case you show is a bit of a special and it's in the end just note slightly apart from each other in an Handshape.

Overall, i don't think i can find any case that would actually justify to use the arpeggio marking in RS, oDLC use it less and less (can't recall when was the last DLC where there was the arpeggio indicator) while handshape is extremely common.

Note that what you show from guitar pro isn't the only way you can have an arpegiated chord.

8BKNlUU.png

This for me is already something that i think will need an handshape marking as it already feels like an arpeggiated chord.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

I've updated the 1st lead CDLC based on some of the feedbacks you gave me, and I have to say, it looks already way better, thanks again for that.

I've uploaded a v1.1, but I'll update the other tracks the same way next time.

The tone seems to not fit, did you used the one that are on the official Shinedown DLC?

I agree with that, unfortunately I'm limited by my knowledge of guitar gears.

I'll have to work on this part once I'm more advanced.

It's a lot of arpeggios yet there's no handshape or any kind of indication that this should be played as arpeggios at all.

This part is fixed, that changes a lot the feeling. Unfortunately I ran into a few weird issues that prevented me to do exactly what I'd have prefered (I'll send some screenshots to explain those issues)

The ending chord for the is just a strict power chord, there's no sus2 at the end.

Good catch, I think it's correct now.

Note that the the D string is played with the pinky and not the ring finger if you want to play all the slides as indicated so the fingering for the chord should indicate it properly.

Correct. The handshapes fixed it.

The solo seems incredibly weird, it makes no sense the way it's indicated, there's way too much hand movement required and some bend seems to have weird timing, right now it's just a mess.

Agreed. I made a change in the hand position, but not sure I't enough. Probably an issue due to the fact I had to change from the original capoed version to one without. I'll try to find a better way to play it if my changes are not sufficient.

Thanks again for your help.

• Administrator

The ending chord is on the 1st fret and not the 3rd.

The solo is weird because of the note, handshape won't help make sense out of it, maybe it's just that some note are on the wrong strings which would make it more logical but i haven't put much thought in it.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

I was unsure between the 1st or 3rd fret, thanks for the help on this

I wasn't talking about handshape for the solo, but hand position on the fret. I made sure there's less move, but I agree it's still not really convenient to play.

And yep, that's what I ment by "finding a better solution", finding a different way to play with different strings

...And I'm sure not asking you to find the solutions for me, your feedback is already a great help ;)

Cheers