12 Bar Blues (Practice)

iWolf

ARTIST...................: YouALBUM....................: NoneTITLE....................: 12 Bar Blues (Practice)VERSION..................: 1.0INSTRUMENT(S)............: Rhythm, BassTUNING...................: E StandardCUSTOM TONE..............: Aerosmith's Sweet Emotion tonesDYNAMIC DIFFICULTY.......: Kind of, use them to pick the key.DIFFICULTY LEVELS........: 3 (C, E, G)RIFF REPEATER............: YesSCROLL SPEED.............: 2.0PACKAGE ID...............: 248750 (Cherub)PLATFORMS................: PC, Max, Xbox360, PS3

First of all many thanks to ja37 for solving my Riff Repeater problem.

This is a practice track for the 12 Bar Blues and it's variations as described in it's Wikipedia page in the keys of C, E, and G.

The backing track is a drum-only loop of the 12 Bar Blues example found here.

There is a number of sections each representing a variation. in order they are:

• [*]

Standard

[*]

Shuffle

[*]

Quick Change

[*]

Sevenths

[*]

Basic Jazz Blues Progression

[*]

Bebop

[*]

Minor (with 7ths)

Standard, Shuffle, and Quick Change are easy and play quite nice together (and so does Sevenths.)
Sevenths, and Minor are a little more challenging.
Jazz and Bebop are full of chords most other styles of music never use and are full of unusual chords... some you don't even play as chord because they sound horrible, you play them as arpeggios.

Each section has 3 phrases each 4 measures (bars) long. So every section is a self-contained 12 Bar Blues progression on it's own, and they mostly play nice going one into the other.

The guitar is all chords, 1 every measure or change. You can play anything you want in between: keep strumming, tiny little fills, mix and match.

The bass is just the tonic but with a hand-shape (like an arpeggio) for the current chord at every measure or change. Same deal as the guitar just hit your designated note at the right time all the in-between are up for grabs.

If you know a little music theory you will notice C, E, G for the C Major chord. That's to say if C is the Root/Tonic, E is III, and G is V. As long as you keep C as the overall tone you don't have to play all sections in the same difficulty. For example you play the first 4 sections as C, C, G, C making it a simple AABA type song.

While testing I found that I felt into trance mode and stop paying attention so I threw in different hand positions to try and keep it more interesting. Bassist don't have that in E or G, as I got tired of looking up different fingerings.

Alright, I would like feed-back of what works and what doesn't as far as a practice track goes. Depending on how it goes I may add the other keys.

Links:   PC (The Only One Tested) Mac Xbox360 PS3

Hope it is alright to post this here.

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I love the 12-bar blues!It's really fun to play as a warm up; especially for a whole band.On stage, our band also plays it when one of our... unreliable... guitarists shoots off stage to grab picks or a drink or something.

• Like 1

NOW OFFERING 1-ON-1 LESSONS ON HOW TO CREATE CDLC.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...