Using external USB sound adapter garbles sound and slows game to a crawl

lduperval

Question

(Posted this on the UBI forums as well)

Hi,

My laptop's sound card gave out and I tried buying an external adapter. It works fine with other audio, but when I play Rocksmith, after about 3 minutes it slows down the whole game, and distorts the sound. I suspect it,s because the USB ports are managing the input and output of the game and at some point it becomes too much, but I wanted to know if any others have faced this and if so, if you had a way of fixing it.

Some facts:

- Lenovo T440s

- core i5

- Win 10

- 8 MB of ram

If the device is the problem and you've used a better one, I'm interested also.

Thanks,

L

11 answers to this question

Uh... OK, and what do I change:

[Audio]
EnableMicrophone=1
ExclusiveMode=1
LatencyBuffer=4
ForceDefaultPlaybackDevice=
ForceWDM=0
ForceDirectXSink=0
Win32UltraLowLatencyMode=1
DumpAudioLog=0
MaxOutputBufferSize=0
[Renderer.Win32]
ShowGamepadUI=0
ScreenWidth=1280
ScreenHeight=720
Fullscreen=2
VisualQuality=3
RenderingWidth=0
RenderingHeight=0
EnablePostEffects=0
EnableShadows=1
EnableHighResScope=0
EnableDepthOfField=0
EnablePerPixelLighting=1
MsaaSamples=1
DisableBrowser=0
[Net]
UseProxy=1

L

"- 8 MB of ram"

that's gorgeous

But hey, it's a well known fact that rocksmith doesn't like any usb soundcards and you should prefer internal or PCI(PCI-E) one it has larger throughput and lower latency

try this settings

[Audio]
EnableMicrophone=0
ExclusiveMode=1
LatencyBuffer=2
ForceDefaultPlaybackDevice=1
ForceWDM=0
ForceDirectXSink=0
Win32UltraLowLatencyMode=1
DumpAudioLog=0
MaxOutputBufferSize=256

and don't forget to change your speakers to 16 bit 48 000 Hz to avoid re-sampling, which gives you loss of performance
  • Like 1

• Administrator

@@Alex360 I never had any issue with multiple different USB soundcard so far so i'm not sure why you would consider RS doesn't like any at all. Most of the time it's setup issue (or people trying to use the soundcard as an input instead of the RTC but that's a completely different topic).

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

@@firekorn, that's what ubi say every time someone asks for help with "USB headphones" lol.
and yes setup is always required, unfortunately nothing works out of the box yet.

Well, it started acting up again, and now I can't even get past the splash screen. :(

I'll investigate those options further to see how to fix it. Until then, looks like I'm off RS for a while.

L

try something like this. i use  surface pro tablet a my desktop and this sounds the best to me... especially with the lateny setting on 8 or 9...  i dont care what anyone says mine sounds pure ans clean as ****!! :)  Also on the bottom right hand corner of your screen right click the little speaker icon then properties then driver and click update and see  if that does anything.  also while you're there make sure your settings are as the guys mentioned above.  try Configuring your speakers, make sure after you mess with all of the settings you do recording devices next and make sure your cable is set to dvd mode at 48

Hi @@Xellot,

I'm not sure what you are suggesting. Are you saying that I should be using a Surface Pro to use Rocksmith? Or are you saying that I should be using a higher level of latency?

I did check the driver for the device, and I'm using the latest Microsoft driver. Furthermore, it is also set to 16 bit 48 kilohertz audio.

Finally, I tried modifying the recording device but everytime I click on a device, whether it's a USB microphone, the Rocksmith real tone cable, or the device for the new external audio device, it always crashes the mixer app. I've had this problem for a long time and have no idea how to fix it.

L

Well, this worked for now:

[Audio]
EnableMicrophone=0
ExclusiveMode=1
LatencyBuffer=6
ForceDefaultPlaybackDevice=1
ForceWDM=0
ForceDirectXSink=0
Win32UltraLowLatencyMode=0
DumpAudioLog=1
MaxOutputBufferSize=1024