Toolkit auto-removing tilde (U+007E / ~) from band name L'Arc~en~Ciel

Whenever I try to go back and edit my L'Arc~en~Ciel CDLCs (or make new ones, see below) it takes the tilde out. Can this be fixed please? (Unless it has already, not positive I'm on the newest version).

5nPv2oO.jpg

Thanks!

Bill

Words of wisdom for CDLC charters:

"When in doubt, steal a tone from Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son"

- Billkwando

Download my L'Arc~en~Ciel Ken "Love Driver Cat" custom Inlays here

• Developer

The developers of EOF and toolkit have implemented character validation that is consistent with characters used in ODLC.  This was done to reduce the number of game crashes and corrupt CDLC.  The tilde '~' is not an acceptable character in artist, title, album naming.   Please use an alternative character, such as, dash '-'.

Additional information on acceptable characters can be found here:

http://customsforge.com/topic/32086-noticed-a-light-problem-with-naming-songs/?do=findComment&comment=226309

http://customsforge.com/topic/37304-non-english-lyricsextended-ascii/?do=findComment&comment=252199

http://customsforge.com/topic/36486-cozy-keepers-musings-and-how-tos/?do=findComment&comment=252312

http://customsforge.com/topic/28521-commas-in-lyrics-not-transferring-from-eof-to-rs/?do=findComment&comment=210224

Are you tired of AV False Positives???  Now accepting donations on my website (Click Here)  Your donation will be used towards buying a code signing certificate.   CGT is now compatible and safe to use with Rocksmith® 2014 Remastered ... 

Latest Build of Custom Game Toolkit (CGT) w/ Game Save Gigbox       Latest Build of Rocksmith Toolkit       Latest Build of Customs Forge Song Manager (CFSM)

All bug reports and help requests please include your: OS, CPU, AV, .NET Framework versions along with a description of the issue (include screenshots of error if possible).  It should go without having to say ... make sure you are using the latest build before submitting bug reports or asking for help.

*  Remember to use your magic words (please and thank you) if you would like a response.  Don't use phrases like 'thanks anyhow' as it is demeaning.

The developers of EOF and toolkit have implemented character validation that is consistent with characters used in ODLC.  This was done to reduce the number of game crashes and corrupt CDLC.  The tilde '~' is not an acceptable character in artist, title, album naming.   Please use an alternative character, such as, dash '-'.

Additional information on acceptable characters can be found here:

http://customsforge.com/topic/32086-noticed-a-light-problem-with-naming-songs/?do=findComment&comment=226309

http://customsforge.com/topic/37304-non-english-lyricsextended-ascii/?do=findComment&comment=252199

http://customsforge.com/topic/36486-cozy-keepers-musings-and-how-tos/?do=findComment&comment=252312

http://customsforge.com/topic/28521-commas-in-lyrics-not-transferring-from-eof-to-rs/?do=findComment&comment=210224

I'm sorry, but that's nonsense. It's not consistent with ODLC because none have used the character yet. If L'Arc were suddenly released as ODLC, you can bet that the tilde would suddenly become an "acceptable" character. 

I've been making L'Arc CDLCs here since 2014. You can see all the existing ones with tildes in my list. No crashes, no complaints.

I would respectfully request that the developers reconsider.  I would rather not roll back Toolkit versions, or have to edit them by hand, but I will.

This wasn't a problem until now. However, the feature where it removes unacceptable characters has been around for a long time, so I don't understand why the tilde is suddenly an issue?

The most recent new L'Arc song I made was Driver's High, in May, and it wasn't a problem then.

• Like 1

- Billkwando

• Developer

Considering how dramatically Corrupt CDLC and Corrupt Game Saves complaints have dropped off, the 'non-sense' as you put it, must be working.

Are you tired of AV False Positives???  Now accepting donations on my website (Click Here)  Your donation will be used towards buying a code signing certificate.   CGT is now compatible and safe to use with Rocksmith® 2014 Remastered ... 

Latest Build of Custom Game Toolkit (CGT) w/ Game Save Gigbox       Latest Build of Rocksmith Toolkit       Latest Build of Customs Forge Song Manager (CFSM)

All bug reports and help requests please include your: OS, CPU, AV, .NET Framework versions along with a description of the issue (include screenshots of error if possible).  It should go without having to say ... make sure you are using the latest build before submitting bug reports or asking for help.

*  Remember to use your magic words (please and thank you) if you would like a response.  Don't use phrases like 'thanks anyhow' as it is demeaning.

Considering how dramatically Corrupt CDLC and Corrupt Game Saves complaints have dropped off, the 'non-sense' as you put it, must be working.

There are none in any of my CDLC threads.

As I mentioned, this tilde restriction must have been added later, because I remember when you guys started filtering out characters, and it wasn't an issue then. I basically only play my own CDLC, so if there was a problem, I would've noticed, since I've been playing many of these songs for years, and I've uploaded over 40 L'Arc songs. 

I'm all for restricting game-breaking characters, but the tilde is not one of them.

- Billkwando

Didn't somebody find the font sets that represented the usable characters for this type of thing? If the toolkit developers would like to allow some specific characters for artist/song name, I'll update EOF to suit, otherwise I agree the restrictions have caused more good than harm.

• Like 2

• Developer

@@raynebc The font texture used for lyrics can be easily found in the game files, but it's not the same font used for the artist/title fields.

I agree with Billkwando that when it comes to tilde, it has been tested enough to prove that it doesn't cause problems.

As for other characters in the artist/title/album names breaking the game, until someone demonstrates a case where that happens, I remain skeptical.  :)

99W9XpK.jpg

• Developer

@iminashi  'As for other characters in the artist/title/album names breaking the game, until someone demonstrates a case where that happens, I remain skeptical.'

Currently, the approved characters for artist, album, title names are based on extensive review of oDLC character content.

Could you plz test the lyrics font texture characters in artist, album, title names an see if this entire character set should be approved for use with game.  What about sortable artist, album, title names?  I am not sure how usable a sort of the lyric font set will be.  We know oDLC uses some character substitution for the sortable fields, e.g. '&' become 'and'.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Developer

Ok, lyric characters may work for Artist, Title, and Album.  But what about the parallel sortable fields? 

I seem to recall that Ubi is already using some character substitution in the sortable fields, e.g. '&' becomes 'and'.  'Mr.' becomes 'Mister'.  '(',  ')' , ',' and ''' are stripped.  '/' is replaced by a space.  '-', '.' and '?' usage is inconsistent.  Diacritics are replaced with their ASCII approximations.  Allowing full use of lyric characters may cause more problems than good.

I am for leaving Artist, Title, Album character validation, including the sortable fields, the way we have it now.  The tools are more reliable, as compared to how they were a couple of years ago when charters had the 'Wild Wild West' of CDLC creation.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Display name for those fields could have some use of extended ASCII if that's safe and lyrics font are capable of full utf-8 spectra which has nothing to do with SQLish records we see in profile file, maybe there's a way to track filtering rules for this other than just inspecting dlc files :)

• Developer

Ubisoft's character substitution for the sortable fields is pretty inconsistent.

&:

Artist Name: Grace Potter & The Nocturnals
Artist Sort: Grace Potter and The Nocturnals

Artist Name: Bill Haley & His Comets
Artist Sort: Bill Haley & His Comets

Diacritics:

Artist Name: Motörhead
Artist Sort: Motorhead

Artist Name: Frédéric Chopin
Artist Sort: Frédéric Chopin

I don't think the substitutions matter much, except for some artist names, if one wants them to be sorted together with ODLC (e.g. "B.B. King" is sorted as "BB King").

• 3 months later...

I went to check if EOF needed changes to allow tildes in the song/artist name to be exported to XML, and it appears it already allows them. Did they need to be filtered out for any specialty elements like ? Are any changes needed for what characters EOF allows/disallows for song metadata at this time?

• Developer

@raynebc  Toolkit is performing final character validation so you can leave EOF the way it is if you want.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. - Privacy Policy