Rocksmith VR

Allsome1o1

Question

I know this is a long shot, and this probably isn't the place to talk about it but I'll do it anyway. For the next Rocksmith game, I think they should make a VR version of it, being that VR is popular now. So how it would work is, there would be a practice mode, and a live mode. In practice mode, the game would look like it did in previous games, only in VR. The live mode would put you on stage, but without the notes coming up, so it would be basically a live experience. They could put in different guitar models to make it feel more real. It's just something I thought would be cool. Maybe it could be an expansion. That's all I can really think of right now

10 answers to this question

• Administrator

It's just something I thought would be cool.

So you think that not seeing your hand/fretboard would be cool?

That question is a bit satirical but i find that it's something people that suggest VR for Rocksmith aren't actually thinking about. You would need to have visual cues of where your hand are regarding the strings and fret to actually properly play and that kind of visual feedback would be incredibly complicated to make.

Rock Band did a VR mode and even though it kinda works, it's because you have very good and effective visual feedback and not that many buttons to work with which makes it possible but transposing that to a full guitar with 24 fret and 6 strings would be a real nightmare but the most interesting mode of RB VR is actually the mode where you can just do whatever which is not exactly the point of Rocksmith and far from doable with the actual Rocksmith system.

I really fail to see how VR with Rocksmith would actually properly work as i would tend to try to look at my hands and fail to have any decent kind of feedback which would be incredibly frustrating....

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

augmented reality would probably work, if you could stream the video with obs via udp localy with the background chroma keyed out to a video playing on the headset (with a camera) and play what the camera is seeing under the rocksmith gameplay but there would probably be lots of latency and if someone has the equipment it would be cool to test as a proof of concept or something.

Ea3cCUQ.png                                                                   「愛こそすべて ,ギルティキス」                                         Gh59blB.png

Utsu-P Discography                                           Modding thread (dead)                                        1000 songs hype

I think it's a great idea; just one that might require a few advances in technology. With sensor(s) placed correctly on the guitar and the right software, I'm sure it would be possible. For me personally, the Oculus Touch controllers do give a very tangible sense of finger-movement. 99.9% of six-string guitars have the frets and strings in the exact same placement sooo...  i hope they really do look into it for the next, or maybe next next iteration.

The only way I can see that working is by having a purpose built guitar with its own sensors and some way of tracking hand and finger positions without getting in the way of playing. I don't think we have technology that good yet. I agree that AR would be a better fit with current technology. Does anyone know did MS give up developing their hololens? I think that would have been the best fit.

• Administrator

@@RubberDave It's what RB3 did with a Stratocaster : https://www.amazon.com/Squier%C2%AE-Fender%C2%AE-Stratocaster%C2%AE-Guitar-Controller/dp/B004MF102G

They added sensory captor all along the fretboard and it worked somewhat decently but the big selling feature of RS is that you can use whatever guitar or bass you already own as long as it has a 1/4 jack output. I don't think many people would go for a RS VR if they have to buy a specific instrument for it especially considering the already high entry cost of VR.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

@RubberDave the holo lens is still being developed and you can buy one for about £2,500 and it has compatibility with unity. here is an example of what it is capable of. I would love to get one but they are a bit expensive at the moment so hopefully in the future it will become cheaper.

Ea3cCUQ.png                                                                   「愛こそすべて ,ギルティキス」                                         Gh59blB.png

Utsu-P Discography                                           Modding thread (dead)                                        1000 songs hype

As a consumer and fan of VR I wish they would/could implement this somehow. I know most wouldn't but I would buy a special guitar if it showed what I was fingering and my handshapes in VR. It could def help those with stage freight I would think if the crowd looked remotely present and realistic.