How do you learn to position all your fingers at once in chords instead of one by one

Overpopulation

Question

How do you learn to position all your fingers at once in a single move in chords, or at least slowly at the same time, as i see in videos, instead of staring at the fretboard like dumb then bending one by one to get each note, usually putting first fingers 1 and 3 to use them as anchors to poorly pull the remaining ones to their positions.

Is there anything i should train, any guitar exercise, or maybe a hand stretching or finger independence guitar or not exercise. Or it will simply start working after a lot of years playing chords.

I feel extremely dumb trying to get a Chord like that. The only Chords i get without the need of looking to the guitar and placing them one by one like that, are the one where you only fret two contiguous string along 3 frets you know:

Finger 1 in String 6 in Fret 3 along with Finger 3 in String 5 in Fret 5.

And:

Finger 1 in String 6 in Fret 3 along with Finger 3 in String 5 in Fret 5 and with Finger 4 in String 4 in Fret 5.

Well and lately also the:

Finger 1 in String 3 in Fret 1 along with Finger 2 in String 4 in Fret 2 and Finger 3 in String 5 in Fret 2 playing the rest of strings open.

I should add also the octaves, the ones with the muted string in the middle that usually run in the 5 and 3 Strings spaced by 1 fret. (Crawwwling in my skiiin xD, althoug this octaves sound pretty bad with me as i do too much noise, and i mean noise not note sound, on the muted string, i really have a fight with muted strings like i were knocking my pick against a stone when i meet them.)

I can decently make those without two much hassle in those positions and others (so this is about hand and finger positioning no matter where are you at in the fretboard).

But the rest are a mistery no matter how many times they repeat, some 3 finger chords and mostly 4 finger chords i fret them note by note and looking at the fretboard like dumb. Ideas, comments, suggestions, advices, wise experience revelations.

(Sidenote: any way less jerky to show chords in the forum without the hassle of uploading a picture or maybe a convention code to write them). (UPDATE I just found a chord generator you can link pictures from is that the best options looks easy http://chordgenerator.net/ is that what you would use)

4 answers to this question

• Administrator

How do you learn to position all your fingers at once in a single move in chords

Practice, there's only that. We all started by putting fingers one by one to make the shape and i still do on some jazzy chords that i encounter once every year. Practice is what makes it easy and fast.

Or it will simply start working after a lot of years playing chords.

Well, practice is practice, being exercices or playing random chords. As long you keep at it and play the chord you'll get better at it.

The only Chords i get without the need of looking to the guitar and placing them one by one like that, are the one where you only fret two contiguous string along 3 frets you know:

Those are called power chords and they are the most common and basic chord that is used everywhere.

Also practice the chords lessons in Rocksmith, they will be simple exercices around chord, starting from the most common and basics and going up in difficulty as you'll get in harder lessons. It's a great way to practice chord specifically as are the arcade games for it.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

What helped me was to practice chord change exercises I learned on Justinguitar.com.

For example I would switch from an A to a G, back and forth for a minute as fast as I could go and note how many chords changes I did CLEANLY with no missed or muted notes. You would then switch to another random 2 chords like A to an E, D to a C, F to D, etc,etc. I did this 15min a day and it really helped me getting my hand and fingers in the correct position for each chord.  

• Like 1

One trick I learned was to practice say 3 chords G D and C. Use your dominant finger and practice for couple minutes. Say that is 1st finger, back and forth. Then for couple minutes use 2nd finger placed first, then 1st finger then 3rd finger. Finally for couple minutes place 3rd finger first followed by 2nd finger then 3rd finger. Makes every finger dominant and after lots of practice, all fingers just go where they are needed. (I'm still practicing myself).

Only chords I know from muscle memory are power chords, and the occasional random E minor or G... Seems to get me by just fine for most metal songs. Lol.

I'm speaking of hand shapes without looking at the neck of course... when I try to solo I or play individual single notes I look at what I am doing. 

But yeah, as stated, practice, practice, practice. In my limited experience anything or any song you play enough can be learned to a point that you just play it without thinking if you practice it enough. That includes of course, hand shapes.