How do you play these sequence of notes

Overpopulation

Question

Apprentice here. If you find this are you supposed to move your index finger tip and fret each note one by one. Or are you supposed to fret the first one then lay the rest of your finger like in a chord and again pick them like in an arpeggio.

http://s2.subirimagenes.com/otros/previo/thump_9771114r.jpg

Another question i have, is when you play a note that is NOT a sustained note but that it is alone, i mean far apart from the next note, are you supposed to mute the note or you should simply pick soft enough to not make it sound for a long time. Or maybe releasing the freting finger is considered all you are supposed to do.

5 answers to this question

The way it is notated, you will hit each note with the tip of your index finger.

BUT

Listen to the song.  If it sounds like an arpeggio, bar your finger and let each note ring.  If this is a custom song the creator probably didn't polish up with handshapes/arpeggios.

For your second question, Rocksmith does not care about sustain and will not punish you for playing a note too short/long.

If it is supposed to be muted, Rocksmith will let you know with an "x" on the note.

If it is notably quick, sometimes Rocksmith will bold the note (accent).

Normally, play the note for a beat (use your ear to judge though) and just release your left finger.  You can also dampen the string with your right palm if you want.

Here is the note guide:

http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/ncsa/rocksmith/website/guides/Notehead-tail%20guide.pdf

Thanks for your replies. I have another question related to this. I sometimes find 3 notes exactly like that but on a Chord. 3 notes in the same fret (sometimes along with a fourth on a different fret). And Rocksmith clearly asks you to put your

tips fingers 1, 2 and 3, at the same time fretting 3 contiguous strings like 5,4 and 3, let say on fret 3.

Now my question is about hand position. Of course i have a hugh issue to push 3 of my sausage styled fat and short fingers in the same fret next to each other fretting 3 contiguous strings. But also doing something like that instinctively makes me rotate my handwith the wrist pointing up to the headstock in the same position you would SOMETIMES see a musician fret a Cello or a Double Bass with hand rotated roughly 90º wrist up and fingers totally pointing down to the guitar body mostly like this:

15622093-woman-play-doublebass-contrabas

Ive read a lot about the classical hand position and im improving a lot thanks to that but sometimes i discover myself doing this. Is this that bad. Is it usual to see someone do something like this. Have you guys saw this before. Is it a useful technic or simply a mistake. 

• Administrator

@@Overpopulation that's just idiotic fingering that CDLC creator don't bother to fix and you as a beginner blindly following those information are being mislead.

It's very to see those Drop D power chord being played with multiple fingers, in fact if you look at all the official DLC in drop tuning there's none that indicate that fingering for those power chord (i can happen for double stop though).

If you intend to play lot of CDLC, you will have to pay way less attention to many of the details indicated as they are 90% times wrong like chord fingering, FHP, arpeggios/handshape marking.

but on a nicer ends, you will sometimes have to put your wrist in different angle to be able to properly stretch or create complex chord shape so it's not a bad habit in itself, but learning to play drop power chord like this is probably a bad habit...

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

What about this Chords: C# and D#

http://www.guitar-chords.org.uk/chord-images/c-sharp-major-2.gif

You need to stretch your finger 2 along two frets to reach the sixth then stuff two more fingers in the same fret yet still care to not mute the string 1. D# the same but on frets 6 and 8. It is the only chord ive ever seen asking to stretch the second finger apart like that. 

• Administrator

@@Overpopulation You need to play some Dream Theater and you'll see way worse stretch than that.

Also about those major chord, yeah it can be played like this but many player also barre the D G and B strings with the ring finger and the index is used for muting the low E. But in the case of drop d power chord, i don't suggest to get the habit of playing it with more than one finger at all.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity