I'm Looking for these Jethro Tull Tabs...

PhamNuwen

[*]Heavy Horses - will be done by Aludog

[*]Hunting Girl

[*]anything from Rock Island

[*]anything from Catfish Rising

[*]anything from Roots to Branches

[*]This is not Love - have MIDI now

If anyone has accurate guitar and/or bass tabs for any of those songs, please let me know.

Thanks. :)

I'm already planning to do Aqualung, Farm on the Freeway, Living in the Past, and Locomotive Breath (I have good tabs for them), and possibly other Tull songs, unless somebody else makes them first of course. ;)

Finished JT songs in the database:

[*]Living in the Past

[*]Songs from the Wood

Edited by PhamNuwen

Best of luck with these. I can't help with TAB's, I've never tried to make any, but I already know the bass lines for most of those tunes. I jam them with some friends every now and then. But Tull is one of my very favorite bands, so if you manage to create them, I'd love to play along with them! :)

Also, something to consider when you can't locate good TAB's (I guess TAB's are used somehow to create the CDLC?). There are a lot of quality Midi files available for download on the net, that include all the various instrument parts. It's fairly simple to use a free utility to convert midi to TAB. Not sure how to get it into the exact format you actually need to create these CDLC's, but I've made a lot of Backing Tracks using my DAW & softsynth's, that I use live to playalong with, from Midi files. Just another alternative to consider when looking for good TAB's. I mention this here, because I've made a lot of Tull Backing Tracks from midi files, so I know there's some great versions out there that can be used for this. ;)

You da man Pruitt1962!

I found 3 JT songs I'd like to do in MIDI, converted them using GuitarPro into tabs, and the result is...not horrible. Since customs are created manually anyway, all I need is a reference, so that I don't have to transcribe the song myself (which I probably couldn't do anyway with my less than perfect pitch).

Now I need to finish my current custom quickly so that I can start with some sweet, sweet JT. :)

I'm new to this CDLC stuff, but I'd like to take a stab at learning to create them. Tull is definitely a band whose music I am very familiar with, and would probably take a stab at creating something by them. Of course after I do an easier one by someone else first. hahah... :D

Having said that, I am interested to follow your progress on the Tull songs you attempt. Best of luck with it!!

Don't really know if any of this can help you - but I just grabbed the few Tull related items I've found or been given by various people and put it together.

https://copy.com/scm3dns9yTFx

if it's useful to you, or anyone else - great.

Thanks ZagatoZee, but I already have all of those.

I'm new to this CDLC stuff, but I'd like to take a stab at learning to create them. Tull is definitely a band whose music I am very familiar with, and would probably take a stab at creating something by them. Of course after I do an easier one by someone else first. hahah... :D

Having said that, I am interested to follow your progress on the Tull songs you attempt. Best of luck with it!!

It's not so much the creation part, but just getting into it. You have to download and install the editor (EOF - Editor on Fire), the Toolkit for packing the DLCs, and Wwise SDK for converting the song files to the .wem format RS uses.

Once you have all that set up, it's not so bad. You import the audio into EOF, create a tempo map (adjust the beats to match the music precisely), then you import or manually input all the notes, create simplified versions of your track for the lower difficulties (optional), create custom tones in RS, then you import them and everything else into the Toolkit, and make the DLC package. There are tutorials on the web for every step, and once you get into the "groove" you can turn them out pretty quickly.

It's not so much the creation part, but just getting into it. You have to download and install the editor (EOF - Editor on Fire), the Toolkit for packing the DLCs, and Wwise SDK for converting the song files to the .wem format RS uses.Once you have all that set up, it's not so bad. You import the audio into EOF, create a tempo map (adjust the beats to match the music precisely), then you import or manually input all the notes, create simplified versions of your track for the lower difficulties (optional), create custom tones in RS, then you import them and everything else into the Toolkit, and make the DLC package. There are tutorials on the web for every step, and once you get into the "groove" you can turn them out pretty quickly.

Thanks! I actually managed to put one together. I need to clean it up, and tab out a few things. And play around with the DD, and find some tones I can use, but it wasn't too bad. And was fun to play it in game! haha...

I hope you didn't do Living in the Past, because that's what I'm working on now. :)

In fact, I'd be happy if you could try a WIP version (bass only for now). If you're up for it, you can grab it from my dropbox.

I'm especially looking for tips regarding the tone, as I'm not really happy with it yet.

Love that song! I play that one frequently with friends! Such a fun bassline to play. I'll grab it and give it a try shortly.

And no, I've been avoiding thinking about doing a Tull tune so far, mostly because I knew you were going to do some. I'm trying to finish off an old Beatles rocker still. Have to fix some of the GP tab I imported that's incorrect. But once I finish that up, I'll be immediately looking for my next song. haha... :)

Great bass tab! Very accurate. Almost exactly how/where I play it on the neck. There's only one part where I usually play the same part a string over, higher on the neck. But the bass track was pretty solid. And fun! haha...

Obviously many of the note sustains need to be fixed, but I am sure you already know that. One problem I had with playing it was the song volume was too low, in comparison to other RS song files. But the bass at those levels was clean on top, so you may have done that on purpose for this.

As far as the bass tone goes, it's probably just a bit too gritty. But that is probably partially due to my having roundwound strings on all my basses here. I am sure with flatwounds it would be much closer to the original tone just the way it is now. But with my roundwound strings I would usually try to keep the OD low/eliminate with my amp and pedals, and go for that pure piano string sound for this one. Probably not good to scoop the mids either for this one either (not saying you are, just running thoughts through my head and typing them. Haha...). Maybe a little compression too, if I could eliminate the grit from the source signal enough to not add it back in. lol

But overall, the bass part was fun as heck to play. Thanks!

Thanks for the comprehensive feedback! :)

Can you tell me which part you play differently? I never played Living... before, and my only source was a tab downloaded from UltimateGuitar.

Sustains: I'm thinking about removing sustains from some of the shortest notes completely, thus leaving them up to the player. I also noticed that the original tab is a bit off while playing it, so I'll definitely plan to adjust by ear.

Tone: I'm also playing roundwounds, and I wasn't able to get the grit out of the tone without making it sound totally muddy. Playing on the neck PU and cutting the treble a bit seems to help though. I'll keep tweaking it.

Volume: I noticed this as well. It's probably because this song was recorded before the "loudness wars" started, and isn't compressed beyond recognition like some modern ones. I'll try boosting it a little bit.

The part I move up the neck slightly is the second Riff of the Pre-Verse. It cuts out the position shift between the first, and third riffs that the Tab seemed to have, allowing you to stay in the same position after playing the first riff, the first time,  going into the Verse. I'll look at it again if you need something more detailed, but basically I stay up around the 12th fret throughout the pre-verse with no position shifts back down like I recall that tab doing.

But again, it was fun. I look forward to the finished song, as I am sure many others do here as well! :)

I have a pdf somewhere of a Jethro Tull songbook... I think... it's probably in one of my older computers... I don't know if it has the songs you're looking for though.

My former guitar teacher tabbed out a couple of Tull songs for me too -- One White Duck and Cheap Day Return , I probably still have those somewhere. Really nice acoustic songs.

I just saw that my advice on the other thread was unnecessary because you already know all the places to find Tull tabs. ;)

Anyway, good luck with your project and I'm looking forward to more Tull from you (and possibly myself).

• 3 weeks later...