Having trouble using a bass and the Digitech Drop pedal

mcpoohmpkin

Question

Hey everyone,

I've been trying to use this drop pedal with my Ibanez GSR200 all day and I'm not getting it to work. What happens is during tuning the game is unable to consistently measure the signal coming in, aka it will be stuck at +999 and flicker to the correct tuning for extremely brief moments, on the low E it won't do much at all when dropped even 1 setting, and I can get the high E to about half way but with all the flickering and inconsistency it isn't worth it.

I've tried just about every game setting plus re-install that I could find, setting Win32UltraLowLatencyMode to 0, 1, 2, 3, with a combination of other settings.

The issue is that when I boost the sound either in game or via Sound Properties, once it gets past a certain limit it becomes extremely distorted and choppy, which is why its either too quiet for the game to consistently recognize or too loud to where it sounds like shit and the game can't recognize that either. In the main menu screen the tuner at the bottom left is just flickering like crazy with different notes every fraction of a second, even when I'm holding the strings tight 

I'll consider recording an example of what happens during tuning if I can't find the answer otherwise 

Thanks for the help.

11 answers to this question

In my experience, when this exact thing happened to me, the bass emulation was enabled on RS, check if it is enabled, and if it is, just disabled it and it should work just fine

Definitely not the issue, the problem is that the sound and tuning is mostly fine, it's just that the game cant 1 - get the sound loud enough without becoming insanely distorted, and 2 - recognize the signal much at all when it's at a moderate volume, it will notice that it's in the right pitch for a fraction of a second and move the tuner down but instantly flip back to +999. Tried every in game setting. Unsure if it's a broken pedal or somehow incapability with my GSR200 bass, I even switched the battery today. 

Maybe it is the cable that goes from your bass to the pedal

Have you tried connecting the bass directly to the RS cable and see if you are having the same issue?

I think you are using an active bass, don't like them, nothing against them, just personal preference, but maybe someone with more experience in this type of bass can help since I don't know if they have problems with RS

Maybe it is the cable that goes from your bass to the pedal

Have you tried connecting the bass directly to the RS cable and see if you are having the same issue?

I think you are using an active bass, don't like them, nothing against them, just personal preference, but maybe someone with more experience in this type of bass can help since I don't know if they have problems with RS

Tried 2 different cables from bass to pedal, same issue. Yeah, it's an active pickup, I've tried raising/lowering the pickups to no avail. I'm thinking it's either a faulty unit or simply an incompatibility with my bass which would be very disappointing. Will most likely return the unit if I can't find a solution by the end of the weekend. 

• Administrator

And if you connect the bass directly to RS without going through the DT drop pedal, do you get the same issue? If yes, then it's not the DT drop pedal that is the problem here.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

try audacity and record a sample of you playing... seeing the waveform might help...?

if there's an issue causing buzz then the game has difficult detecting much...

friend of mine a couple years ago was using no cable fix + mic in on a cheap sound card and had a similar issue to you, for him switching to line in gave a cleaner signal... Adjusting "Playback Devices" etc to disable effects may help.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IL2zOTjhzm3gQCZ3_GR26ocW3ziEhg-2?usp=sharing__
Backup CDLC link ^^ - should list even the ones that got removed for inactive links...
just restored my ability to login again, so will try to slowly resubmit the missing ones...
and hoping to make a small come-back with some new CDLC ideas...

YAMAHA 4-String 24 Frets - D Standard -> C Standard & D Drop C...

ASHTON - 4-String 21 Frets, E Standard, Drop D, Half-Step Down (Nirvana)...

Phoenix? - BASS 21-22 Frets? - 4-in-line Headstock...
(3 BASSES + 2 ELECTRIC G + 2 ACOUSTICS + a UKE)

Les Paul Special II - Guitar 

IBANEZ - USED MODIFIED MODEL...
After-market Tremolo Bridge + head-stock locking nut thingys --- Free 1994-ish Guitar =   🙂

And if you connect the bass directly to RS without going through the DT drop pedal, do you get the same issue? If yes, then it's not the DT drop pedal that is the problem here.

Normal cable works fine, even plugged through the pedal with the pedal deactivated it works completely fine, it's just when its on when rocksmith is unable to detect what sound is coming through, only in tiny spurts that you can barely see flicker the tuning gauge. 

If you look at the waveforms, you'll find that the signal will come out a lot dirtier than the input.

Also.

Yeah I saw this as well but saw the other common video showing it off with a bass and it sounded great, I'm starting to think it might just be the weird active pickup on the GSR200 that always turns on the bass boost regardless of the knob being at full or not. Sadly I don't have a second bass to test this on. 

I'll try getting a recording out soon to show people what's happening but sadly I don't think I'm going to get an answer, so I'll most likely return the pedal and consider my options for picking up a secondary bass with thicker strings for D Drop C stuff with the money 

• Like 1

You probably want to disable ur Bass Boost...  

http://www.ibanez.com/products/images/feat/2159.jpg

Phat II EQ

Phat II active bass boost adds additional low-end power.

http://www.ibanez.com/products/images/eb2017/control/24.jpg

http://www.ibanez.com/products/images/eb2017/eq/14.jpg

http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_eb_detail17.php?year=2017&cat_id=2&series_id=55&data_id=118&color=CL01

• Like 1

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IL2zOTjhzm3gQCZ3_GR26ocW3ziEhg-2?usp=sharing__
Backup CDLC link ^^ - should list even the ones that got removed for inactive links...
just restored my ability to login again, so will try to slowly resubmit the missing ones...

After-market Tremolo Bridge + head-stock locking nut thingys --- Free 1994-ish Guitar =   🙂

I've tried with the bass boost off, distortion still happens with setting the level above 70 in windows with proper calibration done in game, and otherwise the bass is too quiet now for any note to be noticed what so ever.

Edit: It notices it slightly, now instead of being stuck at +999 and flipping every now and then, it just sticks at [ - ] and then flicks very little. I've also raised the pickups as much as I can. The bass comes through perfect with the pedal deactivated but still running through it, but with the pedal on its super quiet. 

• Like 1

I've tried with the bass boost off, distortion still happens with setting the level above 70 in windows with proper calibration done in game, and otherwise the bass is too quiet now for any note to be noticed what so ever.

Edit: It notices it slightly, now instead of being stuck at +999 and flipping every now and then, it just sticks at [ - ] and then flicks very little. I've also raised the pickups as much as I can. The bass comes through perfect with the pedal deactivated but still running through it, but with the pedal on its super quiet. 

Some progress at least i guess...