[TRR] iOS: Rocksmith, now available for iPad.ca

http://theriffrepeater.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/IMG_3264-e1494995601398-940x529.jpg

Hello Rocksmith fans!

It’s been almost three years since we came across a juicy rumour that Rocksmith was headed to iOS.

Read More

The post iOS: Rocksmith, now available for iPad.ca appeared first on The Riff Repeater.

@@missis sumner, as consoles you fail to mod smth without rooting device so lol

With 4 songs  will be occupied for a long time.

It's not a mobile edition of your RS license - if the same song is licensed for a previous edition and the iOS you've to buy it again :D

I'm not not with the Coca-Cola example - if a customer buys a digital content he should be free to use it on all his devices, if you buy a ebook you should be able to read it on your favorite ebook reader platform, if you buy music you should be free to listen to it on your computer, in your car, on your mobile music player, ... but that's business

If I bought additional songs for one of the console or PC versions of Rocksmith, can I use those with the iOS app?

Sorry, no. Apple’s App Store is independent of Microsoft, Sony, and Valve’s businesses, so they do not honor purchases you’ve made from other digital stores. Here’s an analogy: McDonald’s and Burger King might both serve Coca-Cola, but you can’t go to Burger King and get a refill for your McDonald’s cup. It’s a bit like that.

@@papillon, it seems we should have world wide licensing service instead of couple separate so that what you said is possible, maybe change some law's so it would be regulated that way, (highly unlikely if this brings no money to copyright holders, right? haha) I feel your pain tho

• Like 1

@@papillon, it seems we should have world wide licensing service instead of couple separate so that what you said is possible, maybe change some law's so it would be regulated that way, (highly unlikely if this brings no money to copyright holders, right? haha) I feel your pain tho

In this exampe it's just 2 parties involved in the licensing - Ubisoft and the license holder for a song. I don't see where the argument with the Coca Cola or that it's in a Apple store combine together. The problem is the inflexibility of an Appstore and Microsoft wants to establish the same :D The content is dongled with an ecosystem - many more examples ... and ofc nothing will change it because it's nice milking the cashcow more than once. :P

• Administrator

@@Alex360 it's not the copyright holder here that is the problem, it's the retailer, Apple doesn't want to acknowledge anything you bought outside of their store the same way MS/Sony don't acknowledge the thing you bought on Steam.

They are the ones that aim at keeping their profit by staying the sole store you can go through for content. It's not Ubi choice or even the copyright owner that choose this situation to be in effect.

@@papillon

The CD you bought works on all CD players -- just like your X360 DLC works on any X360 you choose to use. (Heck, it also works on your X1 if you choose that.) You can keep using the CD, no problem; we're not taking away support of that. But we just announced a vinyl release. You don't get free vinyl because you bought the CD, or vice versa. :) The record shop selling the vinyl doesn't care that you bought a CD five years ago from somewhere else. You want the vinyl, you gotta pay them for the vinyl.

New platform, new format, new playback mechanism. Only the songs remain the same.

Maybe the fast food analogy wasn't the best one but Dan got a lot other that explain why this is the situation we are in right now.

As for CDLC for the app, there's a lot of reverse engineering to go through first to know if this will be even possible and i'm not sure anyone started to do any kind of research in that direction yet.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

I'll stick to my Macbook Air, and Steam, for now.

But if it were to break, I'm sure an iPad would be a cheaper replacement... and if CDLC worked on it I'd definitely be interested.

@@firekorn, I like to read some stuff about coryright nowdays and pattent stuff that was around for a long time, still don't like both of implementations, there should be something new that will fix unevenness in this worlds like string theory that combine two world of physics knowledge ;)

ps. europe has changed it again recently, right? hopping we're moving in right direction!

Well I'm in as soon as it becomes available, along with a travel guitar. Any good ones about ?

I went for the Speedster astonishingly playable even on low tunings.

In fact I use it for all C and C# Tunings at home.

Very handy, I broke many records.

The only criticism I have is that the pickup is (and always sounds like) a bridge pickup

• Like 1

• Administrator

@@Alex360 to be simple, patent is a pay to protect system that is limited to 20 years and when you submit a patent, all the information it contains will be publicly available and free to consult on the internet. If you don't pay or the 20 years limit is passed, the system falls under the public domain which is why many thing will never be patented and instead be kept secret.

While copyright is way more messier and can greatly vary depending on the country you are from (while patent system is similar across the world). in the RS app case, the issue Ubi is facing is only in regards to re-licensing the whole DLC catalogue for it to be available on a new platform. This is due to how the contract were made because copyright is something that you can only give away via contract (and only some part of the copyright) and of course the more you ask for the more the copyright holder can ask for in return so contract tend to ask for the minimal requirement (like RB only getting right for a limited amount of time probably to limit cost but that can lead to DLC no being available anymore to the consumer if contract can't be renewed).

As for the limit in time for copyright element to fall under the domain public varies on the country but iirc, it's 70 years after the death of the creator (thanks Disney for making that time that long) which is a fucking long time especially when many different people are the creators of the content (which is often the case for music).

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

• 2 weeks later...

The 70y is not in every country, but you're right it's in many European countries, USA, Australia, Russia - Mexico has 100y :D

Ofc it's ok to have a copyright - people should get paid for their work - as a customer I don't like to pay twice, but if I don't want to I just don't buy it.

I'm not sure if the copyright has to be extended 70y after the death of the creator. You can't get books for a long time when they are sold out - you may get a 2nd hand book or in a library, but then you've to wait 70y ...

• Administrator

@@papillon yeah (and i did mention it depends on the country) but 70y is the most common value as far as i'm aware.

And an author can simply put any of his work into the public domain any time he wants but i just described the way it works if no one decide otherwise.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. - Privacy Policy