learning by ear (warning: multiple Q's)

Noteory

i'm gonna b brief on this so as to not waste all ur time

am also quite new to the guitar scene so, with that in mind:

i consider myslf tone deaf so i listen to songs 50x over or more, determining whether or not a part is lead, bass, rhythm, harmony, etc

after listening to a particular song; that has no tabz, 50x+ and find a few notes on 1 riff laid out in a particular pattern on the guitar neck, could i match it with a scale it's on to better determine the song as a whole? (dorian, bluez, pentatonic, etc)

also, if i hit a few notes correctly early in the song (like 10s in) on low A string on the 10th fret going higher, does that almost always mean it's played in a different tuning? and vice versa for low E string if it's lower than itslf?

sry for noob questionz, trying to tie techniques to as much theory as possible so my head can retain it better.

if u can suggest efficient ways to tab songs by ear, i welcome them, as i'm still learning how to tune E standard by ear and failing hard XD

thx again for taking the time to read/post

• Administrator

@@Noteory First to actually figure out what scale is used, one note will never be enough as one single note fit into literally every scale that exist. Scales are layout and to figure out the layout you need more than a single point, the more point the more accurate your guess can be but keep in mind that scales can change over the course of a single song so it's not a definite answer at all.

In regards to tuning, well if you can't hit the lowest note played in the song with your actual tuning, then yeah it's probably tuned lower (though not always if he use some pitch shifting effect) but figuring out tuning exactly is impossible without video of the player actually playing the song to actually have proper idea of how each string relate to each other.

as i'm still learning how to tune E standard by ear and failing hard

Well you can't actually tune to E std by hear if you don't have any reference unles you have the golden ear (spoiler : you doesn't). All you can do is tune all string to with what is define as the standard in relation to each but if the string you used as a reference is off, all the others will be off by the same amount anyway and tuning by ear is hard and won't bring you much. Being able to recognize that it's off is the most important thing, then a tuner will be way better than 99% of the player.

I think the important thing is to recognize mismatch between what you play and what is being played, it's easier to ear that you are off than to ear that you are exactly spot on.

Also start by doing transcription of tab with video of people clearly playing the song, it makes it way easier to associate note/chord sound when you actually see what is being played and it allow to fine tune your ear in a less painful way.

• Like 4

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

@@firekorn thx for the advice, i'm still gonna go thru 10mins to fuk up tuning and tuning to E standard by ear tho

i'm definitely aware that 1 note will nevr b enuf, just figured if i get a whole riff but i c wat ur saying.

i'll reference any videos of any song being played for more accurate guesses on chords/notes

and always reference the correctly tuned string to tune other strings.

i rly want to improve on this area cuz i feel like it'll b useful for me, thx for the assist man

My guitar teacher is helping me learn by ear and i am just starting out. I will literally go note by note to start. I will listen to a note and hum it at that pitch and play the strings until I have the correct note, say a D, and then move to the next. I personally only map out the letter and not where i think which string it is being played on so after mapping you can see which is easiest to play and if it is detuned. So D-E-E-E-E-D-F-E-F-F-F, The lowest octave was the second E, which lead me to believe it was an open E which also explain the fifth E as being open as well and means the rest is being played on the A string. The is the opening to Megadeths Dawns Patrol.

He suggests always starting with the lowest note in the riff you are trying to map out. He does it very quickly but admits he still has to use this method because he is not a savant who just picks it up quickly with little reference. My uncle does this. He will hear a song riff once and knows right away what to play. I am not that but I am learning.

I am learning too, best of luck. Hope that helped even a little for you. i do play bass so chords got to be rough to map i am sure but learning single notes to start will help with chords later.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

This might help...

Piano_key_frequencies.png

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IL2zOTjhzm3gQCZ3_GR26ocW3ziEhg-2?usp=sharing__
Backup CDLC link ^^ - should list even the ones that got removed for inactive links...
just restored my ability to login again, so will try to slowly resubmit the missing ones...
and hoping to make a small come-back with some new CDLC ideas...

YAMAHA 4-String 24 Frets - D Standard -> C Standard & D Drop C...

ASHTON - 4-String 21 Frets, E Standard, Drop D, Half-Step Down (Nirvana)...

Phoenix? - BASS 21-22 Frets? - 4-in-line Headstock...
(3 BASSES + 2 ELECTRIC G + 2 ACOUSTICS + a UKE)

Les Paul Special II - Guitar 

IBANEZ - USED MODIFIED MODEL...
After-market Tremolo Bridge + head-stock locking nut thingys --- Free 1994-ish Guitar =   🙂

if u can use Audacity for eg to play just 1 note on loop using a tuner app on an android phone (for eg) might already give you a better idea of Hz and thus use this chart to figure out the note...

you probably want to practise with multitrack files...

for eg Bass isolated...

https://youtu.be/f5jTJlikMfI?t=5

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IL2zOTjhzm3gQCZ3_GR26ocW3ziEhg-2?usp=sharing__
Backup CDLC link ^^ - should list even the ones that got removed for inactive links...
just restored my ability to login again, so will try to slowly resubmit the missing ones...
and hoping to make a small come-back with some new CDLC ideas...

YAMAHA 4-String 24 Frets - D Standard -> C Standard & D Drop C...

ASHTON - 4-String 21 Frets, E Standard, Drop D, Half-Step Down (Nirvana)...

Phoenix? - BASS 21-22 Frets? - 4-in-line Headstock...
(3 BASSES + 2 ELECTRIC G + 2 ACOUSTICS + a UKE)

Les Paul Special II - Guitar 

IBANEZ - USED MODIFIED MODEL...
After-market Tremolo Bridge + head-stock locking nut thingys --- Free 1994-ish Guitar =   🙂