Crazy low tunings

ThatWerewolfTho

Question

So I'm looking through the list and think to myself, "Self! You really ought to look up Devin Townsend."

And I do. What I find are songs in wack low tunings like Open B and shit. At what point on a 6-string guitar or 4-string bass does that become a hindrance and require you to spring for 7/5-string guitars and basses? Does Rocksmith even support those instruments?

3 answers to this question

@@ThatWerewolfTho

"At what point on a 6-string guitar or 4-string bass does that become a hindrance and require you to spring for 7/5-string guitars and basses?"

It depends on both guitar and strings. Thicker the strings - lower you can get, but also certain guitars will like lower tunings more then others. My lovely Jackson has no problems with C standard on.09-.46 strings, but it's more of my luck in picking my 1st guitar.

"Does Rocksmith even support those instruments?"

No it does not. You can play on them, but Rocksmith will still show only 6/4 strings. So that's the only way.

PS. Guitar Strings and Rocksmith Note Recognition

Master of Rocksmith Championship
For Whom the Leaderboard Tolls
...And Song Selection List For All
Seek and Championship Class Lists

The Exercise That Never Comes

@@Mortalo don't worry, you're a nice douche :)

T-Rex Interactive | Box Kid Adventures

From my experience, you need to watch the detune on attack. If your note goes sharp by a considerable amount on attack, RS has problems registering.

Some amount of songs i play a Drop B, B Standard and even Drop A i think. With my regular 11-56 set on a LP they are doable if i watch the attack (lighter righthand).

If i want to go crazy on those, i switch to my 8 string. This helps with recognition a ton. Though avoiding the unused strings and "transposing" what you see to the fretboard takes some getting used to...