High-Strung / Nashville Tuning

Tysylio

Hi Devs, I have a question / feature request,

In EoF we can only tune +/- 11 notes per string.  Nashville or High-Strung Tuning has the bottom 4 strings strung with light gauge strings like the ones used on a 12-string guitar.  Such that the EADG strings are an octave higher, but leaves the top Be as normal.  Is it possible to expand the tuning in EoF to +/- 12 notes to allow this tuning?  Or, is this a limitation of RS itself?

Thanks,

Tysylio

Keep smiling. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

See my Workshop here.

Thanks for getting back so quickly, raynebc.  I think this topic, the RS Violin Project covers it.  By setting the tuning pitch frequency in the RST we can tune to A660, an octave higher (same as setting a capo to the 12th fret), or A880 two octaves, etc, or conversely for a B-Standard tuning for a bass, to A220.  So, I'm confidant RS is capable of detecting it.

Obviously, since the Nashville tuning is odd for most stringed instruments, being that the bottom strings are a whole octave higher, I cannot simply set the frequency to A660; I would then need to lower the top B and e strings -12... essentially the same problem.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Tysylio

See my Workshop here.

• Administrator

I'll admit i'm curious about this. @@Tysylio you could try to set the tuning directly into the xml file produced by EOF to first see if the toolkit tolerate it and then maybe if RS does too if the toolkit don't hold us back. Clearly using an offset frequency won't help you in you're case sadly.

Edit : the toolkit doesn't seems to care if some is higher or lower than 12 in the tuning from a very quick test.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Good news!  

I manually modified the XML file and set the tuning to :

<tuning string0="12" string1="12" string2="12" string3="12" string4="0" string5="0" />

No problems with RST or in game.  My play test worked flawlessly, and the only thing RST asked me was if I wanted to save it as a new tuning.  I have posted the song Scared by The Tragically Hip, here.

Thanks for your help with this one, guys.  If EoF can't be modified, I at least know how to do it on my own now.  :)

See my Workshop here.

It probably wouldn't be much work to change EOF, since it will effectively just use modulus to make it irrelevant if a note is an A, or an A in another octave.  I think where it would come into play is if I wanted to change chord naming logic, where chords span more than one octave of notes, which may not be worth the effort since that probably wouldn't be used as much.

• Like 1