"Error Sound Initialization" at startup

Behonkiss

Question

For the past day, whenever I boot up RS2014, at the first loading screen, I get a popup window titled "ERROR SOUND INITIALIZATION" with the following message: "No audio output device is detected.  Please connect and enable an audio output device then restart Rocksmith 2014."  Can anyone tell me what I need to adjust to fix this?  I already tried restarting both Steam and my PC to no avail.

6 answers to this question

Is this a pure windows pc? because I got the same problem on my mac when running RS2014 on a virtual machine (parallels) with windows 8.1

in OSX mode on this mac everything works fine for RS2014,  but I would like to run it on the windows virtual machine for this should be easier for me to stream to twitch tv. because in OSX I have sound issues when streaming to twitch...

Some more information, if it will help anyone figure this out.  Here are my microphone settings for the output cable:

http://i.imgur.com/KBXGZpQ.jpg

It's not set to my default recording device, though (The laptop mic is).  Should I make it the default?  There's also a Realtek Stereo Mix option under recording devices that is disabled; should I turn that on?

I just got this problem tonight after setting up Rocksmith 2014 on PC for the first time. Everything was working great, until I went into the options screen and set the game to not use audio exclusivity (unrelated note, I was trying to see if I could play an mp3 of a song I like to play guitar along too while using the game as my amp, maybe there is some other way to do this?). Now I'm stuck at the Calibration part where you have to make noise with your guitar. It says a meter will come up, but never does. Seems like the game gets buggy because it also said my profile save was corrupted.

Is there some way to revert to the default settings to see if my audio error at Rocksmith boot goes away?

Update... I changed the audio exclusivity setting in the configuration file located next to the exe file. That fixed that sound issue and allowed me to get past the calibration section.

I'm still curious why changing that option broke like that in the first place.