Bass problem at lower tunings

dalenichol

Question

Hey guys, apologies if this is the wrong place to post this. 

I've noticed an issue since switching back to playing Bass for the first time in years, and the first time with Rocksmith. 

Playing along on Standard or Drop D tuning is fine, but as soon as I go lower than that, Eb/DdropC etc, rocksmith struggles, or sometimes simply refuses to pick up certain notes.  It's almost completely limited to the 'E' string and is particularly bad when played open, or along the first 3 frets.  

The problem does not persist when using guitar rig or any non rocksmith software, so I'm a little confused.

8 answers to this question

i am sorry that you are facing this problem sounds like your intonation is off :/ it could be a bend on the neck since the problem is more intense in open string and the first frets maybe the gauge of your strings is not enough...its a gear thing and rocksmith is not a problem. If you have a tuner pedal check your intonation this way.

I can't see how intonation would cause this issue?  Surely if a bass is tuned on open strings - playing those open strings leads to being in tune?  It's only when you play further up the dusty end of the neck the tuning goes out, if your intonation's out?

@@dalenichol - try tuning the bass a little bit low.  This works a little.  Why?  I don't know! :lol:

• Administrator

@@missis sumner It works because plucking a string makes the pitch go higher during the attack of the note so by slightly down tuning the string you make it so that the note will reach a pitch RS wants when you attack the note but that also mean that the sustain of the note will be slightly low.

• Like 2

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

@@missis sumner It works because plucking a string makes the pitch go higher during the attack of the note so by slightly down tuning the string you make it so that the note will reach a pitch RS wants when you attack the note but that also mean that the sustain of the note will be slightly low.

I thought it was something like that.  Thanks for clarifying.

I've no doubt that some of my issues are due to technique, as well.  I'm just more used to the tension in my strings when I'm playing E Standard... which is why I've now got a dedicated drop tuning bass, with heavier gauge strings on. :)

• Like 1

I have found that also when it comes to Eb tunings , my one cheapo bass (stagg) simply will not tune to it even when i lower the tuning slightly, So I too have various bass's tuned to different tunings as it is easier to just keep them that way.  incidentally I pretune using my boss chromatic tuner tu-3 pedal  it tunes fine 

• Like 1

Guitars: ESP LTD F-54 Bass, Tanglewood Curbow4 Bass, Stagg BC300-N Bass, Yamaha BBN5bk (5String), ESP LTD AX-360, Plus a cheapo no name acoustic

I still have some issue on my 34" Yamaha with BEAD Strings... i suggest just getting a real 5-string 35" Bass for that ...

i'm keen as on getting a :

http://www.schecterguitars.com/international/images/stories/virtuemart/product/stiletto-custom-5-vrs-tilt.png

SCHECTER - 

STILETTO CUSTOM-5

http://www.schecterguitars.com/international/bass/stiletto-custom-5-detail

• Like 1

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IL2zOTjhzm3gQCZ3_GR26ocW3ziEhg-2?usp=sharing__
Backup CDLC link ^^ - should list even the ones that got removed for inactive links...
just restored my ability to login again, so will try to slowly resubmit the missing ones...
and hoping to make a small come-back with some new CDLC ideas...

YAMAHA 4-String 24 Frets - D Standard -> C Standard & D Drop C...

ASHTON - 4-String 21 Frets, E Standard, Drop D, Half-Step Down (Nirvana)...

Phoenix? - BASS 21-22 Frets? - 4-in-line Headstock...
(3 BASSES + 2 ELECTRIC G + 2 ACOUSTICS + a UKE)

Les Paul Special II - Guitar 

IBANEZ - USED MODIFIED MODEL...
After-market Tremolo Bridge + head-stock locking nut thingys --- Free 1994-ish Guitar =   🙂