Why do some people play Rocksmith with the guitar in-game upside down?

Sanderat

Question

I can still recall the confusion when I first seen a tab quite a few years ago so I guess you're not acquainted with tabs if you ask this. It has some practical sense to it, you need to reach all the way to last line to play "red" string.

That said, I don't think it's really important until chords come into play, that's where it helps if you have the "inverted" mental image and you don't want to re-learn or diverge from tabs or chord diagrams. Not a big deal though, it's not like you're going to be perfectly sight-reading either way (some experienced players still like to use RS order).

From the pragmatic viewpoint it's better to use "inverted" so it's easier to read tabs.

Of course, it's about the tablature way of charting.

I think it depends if you imagine looking through the neck, or above the neck of your guitar.

Lot of guitarist are looking to their neck when playing, it's even a challenge to learn to not look at it after years of playing.

But now, it becomes hard with RS to look at the neck and the screen at the same time :)

Make lot of guitarist to progress to avoid looking the neck.

So the new generation of guitarist who will learn guitar with RS will not have this problem, but maybe the problem to play a song without having a screen in front of their eyes.

I would love to see futur band playing guitar with hiden screen in front, like some old singer now have lyrics in a hidden screen at their feet on stage :)

Because I could read Tab before I bought Rocksmith I too found the Rocksmith view confusing because after learning to read tab it was more intuitive to invert the strings. If you are new and don't read tab (which you may want to learn) I can easily see how the inverted strings would seem wrong. However if you ever go to learn tab you may find tab hard to read.

It's good to know that everyone I idolize at one time or another in their career was where I am right now.

xygc1vpatg2zi076g.jpg

I had limited experience with tabs before starting Rocksmith, but I did read and play them. Even so, I just couldn't get used to the inverted view when playing RS...something about it just didn't click. Once I switched to the default view it seemed much easier; I think it was the fact that the notes are coming down the highway and it's like I'm looking through the back of the neck.

Now that I'm going to start trying to play more outside of RS, I wonder if it will be hard to go back to tab notation. I might give the inverted display in RS another shot, but I think it will be even harder to go back now that I've used the other method for several months. :|

sleepy

Acoustic Guitar:  Seagull Maritime GT  Playing Since:  8/11/2011

Electric Guitar:  Epiphone Les Paul Jr.  Playing since:  9/25/2013

Bass Guitar:  Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Special  Playing Since:  2/17/2014

"The road of life is rocky, and you may stumble too. So while you point your finger, someone else is judging you." --Bob Marley

At least there is no right or wrong way what ever works for you works for you. If there was a wrong way in music we would had never heard of Jimi Hendrix.

• Like 2

It's good to know that everyone I idolize at one time or another in their career was where I am right now.

xygc1vpatg2zi076g.jpg

The way I see it, when you're playing the guitar and you look down at the fretboard, your eyes sweep from the Low E to the High E... continue to the sweep, raising your head to look at the screen... in "inverted" view, you go from Low E to High E.... just makes sense (to me).

It makes musical sense too. The Low E is the lowest frequency, it should be on the bottom.

And since the entire rest of the world reads tab this way, people who only know the Rocksmith way are going to find themselves at a severe disadvantage outside the game (and yes, there is life outside the game). Especially since chord diagrams are never inverted -- they're still read from left to right, i.e., from Low E to High E.

So ...there you have it.

Look at the guitar while you're playing.

Now slowly tilt it toward you (so you don't have to crane your neck).

Now tilt it more... until it's facing you.

Notice how the high E string is on top, and the low E string is on bottom, just like "Inverted" view?

But also yes, reading tablature

• Like 2

I play it with strings same way as guitar just cos being a beginner i find it easier figuring what strings i'm suppose to be using (having strings the matching colours to RS also helps lol) but my boyfriend uses inverted cos he's used to reading tabs and therefore it is more familiar to him.

So I, from what I read here it's a question of weather you view yourself playing like this:

http://www.hcpl.net/sites/default/files/Woodstock%202.jpg

or like this:

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/7258/7258,1237973141,1/stock-photo-guitar-player-musician-middle-age-senior-man-happy-high-wearing-french-beret-hat-27318796.jpg

(left/right handedness aside).

:D

• Like 1

• Administrator

I've played tabs for years but I still play the standard way. I didn't feel I needed to invert it, it felt unnatural to me.(BTW I'm a lefty playing right handed...)

• Like 1

"Just remember: when something breaks, kick it as hard as you fucking can"

-Trent Reznor
Support Me (Via Patreon)

As others have answered already, the answer is because of tabs which have always looked like this

e-|-----------------3---------|-----------------3---------|b-|--------3-----3-----3-----|--------3-----3-----3-----|g-|-----0-----0-----------0--|-----0-----0-----------0--|d-|----------------------------|---------------------------|a-|----------------------------|---------------------------|E-|--3------------------------|--1------------------------|Now imagine reading stuff like this for years and then suddenly you turn on RS and it displays it in the reverse format. All those notes flying at you and my brain has to work harder to try and not read it how I had been used to. After 2 minutes of playing, I instantly searched for a way to switch it. In my eyes, the Rocksmith's default is very odd as most tabs wouldn't be displayed that way. If anyone who only learned guitar from RS decided to venture out into the world of tabs, they would experience the same confusion.

I tried to switch to the tab (inverted) view, and just can't do it.  I wish I could, but it's like starting all over.

The feeling you describe is why I made a point to use inverted. I want to move from RS to tabs at some point. The longer I didn't invert, the worse that starting over would have been. Short term, inverting added some frustration. But, now it looks right. You can get used to either. Just play what makes you most comfortable.