Rocksmith 2014 Championship week 174

Motive

http://i66.tinypic.com/2ut2u0l.png

cant finish MC without failing atm

http://i67.tinypic.com/j7dtfk.png

i know I missed last week but did my scores get missed the week before for Gary Moore, cos I was sure I practiced advanced until I had the highest %, but didn't win? I started out thinking I wouldn't take this too seriously, but now I really want this 1st place!

• Like 7

I'm absolutely full of cold.  I managed to stop sneezing long enough to do this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49Qq-EFnmrKeGRqQnRqc1hGRjA/view?usp=sharing

• Like 5

With that section of Stare At the Sun, I'd agree that the way it's charted is roughly the best way to play it (I might disagree about some of the fingerings, but that's another thing). If the 11-16 stretch is a bit much I'd probably either try moving it to the E string (16-21, or if you don't have a 21st fret barring the 16th and playing the high note there). It's a fairly tricky riff, but it's mostly in the handshaping (which most bassists aren't especially used to) since the plucking pattern is fairly simple and familiar (root-fifth-octave then mostly raking). Anyway, here's my best go at it, after a bit of practice on that riff:

I like your shifting the whole sequence 1 string lower to the E-string and moving everything from frets 16-21. My Strat has 21 frets so it works for me. Being less familiar with basses than guitars, is it unusual for basses to have less than 21 frets? I never knew that bass players weren't particularly keen on handshapes. Would you go as far as to say that there should be no handshape in a bass arrangement and that I should remove it? I really felt it was simpler to play and sight read this way, but not being a bassist, I can certainly be wrong.

I suppose for people with smaller hands I can create an alternate version of my custom using your E16-21 idea.

Not sure I understand "or if you don't have a 21st fret barring the 16th and playing the high note there"

I am curious, with my current authoring, what is your preferred handshape. I am guessing using the ring finger to barre the D and G string at the 13th fret, and using the pinky for the G15 and G16 notes.

• Like 1

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

Check out the Tech Notes Tutorial Version 1.1 // Chordify Tutorial Rough Draft.

@@Berneer - When I was talking about handshapes, I wasn't necessarily talking about the handshape function in Rocksmith, but rather handshaping as in getting specific fingers to specific frets and keeping them there. On bass you can play probably 99% of things while only knowing and using the power chord handshape (especially common in Iron Maiden stuff). It's pretty unusual to have to use anything other than that. I think having the handshapes makes things a bit easier to read (not necessarily sightread, but digest when you're going through it more slowly when in riff repeater).

That said, when you're getting used to playing bass in Rocksmith there can definitely be a bit of a freakout moment when you see arpeggios or handshapes for the first time (I remember my reaction when playing the solo section of The Trooper), but I think almost everyone would agree that once you get used to them they're very helpful. Put an alternate way, they might make a sightread somewhat harder for some people, but they make mastering the song much easier.

As for basses having fewer frets I think there are a fair number of pretty common models that only have 20 frets (jazz bass, precision bass, Rickenbackers, to name a few everyone will know). By barring the 16th fret I mean playing the high B at the 16th fret of the G (which would be the only real way to play it on a 20 fret instrument up there, as it doesn't seem very feasible to fret it another way ).

For my preferred handshape, I think I held the power chord shape with 1-2-3 and then used my pinky to reach the high notes. If I barred with my middle finger my ring finger had a tendency to get in the way (otherwise that probably would have been my preference), and of the other configurations I found it most natural that way when having to "pivot" to make the stretch to the 16th fret and return from it. I wouldn't be very surprised if other people disagreed, though.

• Like 5

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

Thanks so much for that info @@albatross213!

This morning I prepared two alternate versions but I'll only have time to test them tonight to make sure nothing got inadvertently broken when I made the changes. I did load them and look quickly in-game and the revised sections seem free of errors. Deeper check tonight. In case anyone would like them now, here they are.

Like this the bassist can choose her/his preference.

Sorry, if I am hijacking the thread for other than scores. I just want you guys to have a great time with it.

• Like 5

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

• Rocksmith Championship Organizer

hope I'll find some time this week for playing any of the songs, cool choices

• Like 1
 YouTube                                                           The Phantastic 3                                                       Facebook

Captain-Sparton-weiss minimini.png

Yo, back ;)

Poor me was stuck high alpine snowboarding with stunning weather but neither guitar nor internet for the week... ^_^

http://up.picr.de/28388315ob.jpg

Still the first in over 135 weeks i didn´t post my scores [nodshead]

Here is delayed last weeks leaderboard update

• Like 11

-= Building a Guitar from Scratch with Absolutely No Woodworking Experience =-
-= ROCK - Rodmans Course for Kids and Beginners =-

-=GET RID OF ON DISC SONGS IN THE SONG SELECTION LIST? , FULL SETLIST MANAGEMENT? - YOU NEED A ROADIE !!!=-
-= SPOTIFY Rocksmith CS Playlist =-
-= Use your DLC library on multiple PCs w. autoupdate =-
-= Build your own RS Toneswitch Fb =-

-= Join the Championship - cause the Championship is good for you =-
-= What´s my RANK again??? - check the 10-weeks Leaderboard and PLAYER Level =-
-= Put the Songs you want to be played into SONG SELECTION LIST =-

On 11/8/2016 at 8:32 PM, Vodka said:

I hated Royal Republic prev. time. I hate it this time too.

UPD: OK. I hate every song. I guess I need to stop.

-= weekly leaderboard update =-

leader changes:

@@MonstaS4 - Int Lead

Great playing everyone!

http://up.picr.de/28388419fq.jpg

Let us rock!!!

• Like 2

-= Building a Guitar from Scratch with Absolutely No Woodworking Experience =-
-= ROCK - Rodmans Course for Kids and Beginners =-

-=GET RID OF ON DISC SONGS IN THE SONG SELECTION LIST? , FULL SETLIST MANAGEMENT? - YOU NEED A ROADIE !!!=-
-= SPOTIFY Rocksmith CS Playlist =-
-= Use your DLC library on multiple PCs w. autoupdate =-
-= Build your own RS Toneswitch Fb =-

-= Join the Championship - cause the Championship is good for you =-
-= What´s my RANK again??? - check the 10-weeks Leaderboard and PLAYER Level =-
-= Put the Songs you want to be played into SONG SELECTION LIST =-

On 11/8/2016 at 8:32 PM, Vodka said:

I hated Royal Republic prev. time. I hate it this time too.

UPD: OK. I hate every song. I guess I need to stop.

http://i.imgur.com/xt96Zo7.jpg

Not that easy.

http://i.imgur.com/UsrL9Cr.jpg

Octave chord won't register. I blame the muted D string in the middle, it was always causing recognition issues.

http://i.imgur.com/gJQvMEY.jpg

I played it few times in Rock Band, as my cousin is RHCP fan. It wasn't unenjoyable on plastic guitar, it is on real one.

http://i.imgur.com/KKZ09Dl.jpg

!

http://i.imgur.com/x6d4Ykl.jpg

Yay! More time and I will 100% it. Way to go is to memorize the pattern and play with looking on the fretboard (crazy, right?).

• Like 9

Master of Rocksmith Championship
For Whom the Leaderboard Tolls
...And Song Selection List For All
Seek and Championship Class Lists

The Exercise That Never Comes

@@Mortalo don't worry, you're a nice douche :)

T-Rex Interactive | Box Kid Adventures

So I had a playthough of all arrangments on both alternate versions of Stare at the Sun, due to the bass slight variances I made and mentionned earlier and posted in post #32. For Alternate 1 (6-fret sections - same frets, different fingering) I noticed this morning one odd, accidental, addition of an E6 amidst a bunch of repeated A2's. So I fixed that and replaced the link. I see one person downloaded it, so you'd best re-download. Sorry. I had to rush to get it out. Should be good now.

I regressed on my CS playthough's on Lead and Bass, but improved on Rhythm....  I need a day off work to really improve my score... :)

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/Berneer/CustomsForge%20Championship/Week%20174%20-%20Ending%2025Feb2017/Blaze%20-%20Rhythm%20-%20Attempt%202_zpsv660bijq.png

• Like 6

Next on to Yellow Card,

i have never heard of these until @@Vodka mentioned them a few times, i love this track but i'm struggling with the octave chords in the lead arrangement....they won't bloody register...

nt43yjkkworojvy6g.jpg

given time i think i could nail the bass and rhythm ......

gbm0a37bbnr18nr6g.jpg

kdcv2i9o5q8ociv6g.jpgbut that might have to be another time......

nighty night

• Like 7

OMG, I just rented a United States Fender Precision Bass just for fun. Brought my score down by 7%  in Stare at the Sun for Bass. 

But it was fun to play this behemoth instrument with huge fret separations and put my every fret change into question.

I could definately see now the appeal of playing bass, and of playing those sick galloping Steve Harris baselines like a badass!

After playing Stare at the Sun my strumming fingers feel absolutely exhausted LOL.

Well, now I know what my next purchase is going to be! And it is nice and slim enough to hide under the sofa when my wife ventures close-by .... 'Oh no honey, it's something RS calls "emulated base". Still my same ol' guiitar. Cool huh?'

Took her 6 months to notice my Line 6 Helix effects pedalboard while vacuuming. Then I giddily scolded her for waiting 6 months to pass the vacuum cleaner under the sofa. Ah love and the games we play... nothing must get in the way of music.

• Like 11

@@Berneer that's the power of Championship. We WILL make you buy the bass! :lol:

PS. I'm too sane to play Steve Harris basslines with fingers.

• Like 6

My scores for this week:  Always Summer, and Stacy's Mom.  I'll try and improve on Summer later today or tomorrow.  

For some reason, my dog started licking my foot about half way through playing Stacy's Mom.  Not sure if she was trying to help me or if she was trying to distract me.  Or maybe she just doesn't want me to play that song anymore?   :smirk:   

• Like 8

http://i.imgur.com/sSC87OP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fHZjSpZ.jpg

If I've had played with pick I would score better, but if you want any kind of fun playing RHCP, you need to play bass with fingers. But where are all those slaps that you would expect from Flea?

• Like 7

If I've had played with pick I would score better, but if you want any kind of fun playing RHCP, you need to play bass with fingers. But where are all those slaps that you would expect from Flea?

No slaps from me but plenty of thumping plucking fingers.  And my fingers are sore.  I've had to play everything else this week with a pick.  :lol:

Mind you, should "Dosed" actually be played with a pick anyway?

• Like 2