Playing through an amp

Jokco

Question

This is just a suggestion for anyone who's not tried it. You can buy a splitter from Guitar Center for about 5-6$. With that you can run your guitar into your computer and amp at the same time. I have always felt like the RS tones were a little flat and with this I can use my own pedals and not have to worry about RS' tones at all. From what I can tell splitting the signal doesn't hurt the sound quality as far as I can tell. Playing this way I think it's a lot easier to control my sound and notice mistakes.

• Like 1

6 answers to this question

Meh, I can see the appeal, but at least a quarter of the fun is not having to do a pedal dance or mess around with amps......plus have all those tones tailor made for the track....especially on songs that switch around a lot.

The closest I've gotten to "keepin' it real" is hooking up my wah wah pedal with the real tone cable, because that's the one thing RS can't truly approximate.

(I should note that half the time I've always played my electrics unplugged, so my opinion is coming from a very lazy perspective)

Words of wisdom for CDLC charters:

"When in doubt, steal a tone from Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son"

- Billkwando

Download my L'Arc~en~Ciel Ken "Love Driver Cat" custom Inlays here

Meh, I can see the appeal, but at least a quarter of the fun is not having to do a pedal dance or mess around with amps......plus have all those tones tailor made for the track....especially on songs that switch around a lot.The closest I've gotten to "keepin' it real" is hooking up my wah wah pedal with the real tone cable, because that's the one thing RS can't truly approximate.(I should note that half the time I've always played my electrics unplugged, so my opinion is coming from a very lazy perspective)

I always thought Rocksmith didn't like pedals ? So how is that Wah Wah pedal working ?

• Like 1

:wub: My mother said I could grow up to be anything I wanted

So I became an Asshole. :D

Oh it's fine! It's really just a tone control when you think about it. I never actually tried playing a chart with it though, I was just playing that Hendrix song (Voodoo Chili?) on the menu screen, but nothing exploded. ;)

Words of wisdom for CDLC charters:

"When in doubt, steal a tone from Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son"

- Billkwando

Download my L'Arc~en~Ciel Ken "Love Driver Cat" custom Inlays here

This is definitely my preferred way to play now too.  I had too many times where I thought I knew a song, and then I would try to play it for someone and it sounded horrible when I played through an amp.  The solution: play through an amp all the time.  Especially for new guitarists, it's one more thing you need to learn anyway...how to craft your tone outside of the game, and how to switch it while you are playing live.  I also find that having my amp sound separated and loud helps me really hear and focus on my guitar apart from the game's original track.  It also forces me not to flub my way through something when my family is around to hear it.  :p

I use RS with an AxeFX II, and a pair of KRK Rokit 8 studio monitors.

GUitar goes straight into the AxeII.   Put an FX loop in the signal chain, plug the RS cable in to the FX send.

Turn down the player guitar volume in Rocksmith, so the only guitar you're hearing is processed by the AxeII.

Works like a dream. 

• Like 1