Need Audio Advice for YouTube Videos

BusterKnott

I'm hoping someone has a suggestion on how to get decent audio quality for YouTube videos.

Currently I'm running RS 2014 both PC and PS versions through a 200 Watt Kenwood stereo amp into 30+ year old speakers.

The PC version is output through a generic onboard motherboard soundcard. The output from the PC sounds weak and tinny no matter how I adjust the bass or treble on the amp. If I dial the bass way up and the treble way down is just sounds muddy. My guess is a new sound card might help so I'm asking for recommendations if anyone else has dealt with this.

The PS version definitely sounds better than the PC version but still not real good. The main issue here is buzzing on the E and A strings on my bass through the speakers if I turn the volume up at all but there is no buzzing whatsoever if I do the same through headphones. Could be the speakers, could be the amp I just don't know. Therefore any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• Administrator

@@BusterKnott Unless you record your speakers, it's unlikely you record anything close to what you hear since it will never go through the amp/speaker as you will record the digital sound that is in your PC.

Adding an audio card won't change how the audio is recorded by your software...

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

@@BusterKnott Unless you record your speakers, it's unlikely you record anything close to what you hear since it will never go through the amp/speaker as you will record the digital sound that is in your PC.

Adding an audio card won't change how the audio is recorded by your software...

Understood and If I were recording via the PC you would be absolutely correct. I didn't explain properly what I was attempting in my OP.

First my audio chain is from the computer audio out into my stereo amplifier and then through the stereo speakers. The video recording I do is with a tripod mounted camcorder with the audio picked up by way of a Takstar SGC-598 shotgun mic. The problem I'm having is the end video's all sound really tinny sort of like really old blues songs recorded in the '30's in someones bathroom.

I know its not the shotgun mic because I shot hours of concert footage last summer and the sound was really rich.

I guess what I'm asking is if anyone knows what components to use to get decent audio output of a computer that can be captured in video with decent audio for YouTube. I'm sure it can be done because I've seen a few videos on YouTube where RS was used as a backing track that sounded really good. I just don't know how they did it...

• Administrator

So you are using a shotgun mic to record a stereo source?

That seems like a lot of trouble since shotgun mic aren't really made to record sound that comes from the sides (and unless i'm missing something it also means that you would end up with a mono recording).

For all i know, every video on youtube that includes RS record the audio with a software on the PC directly to avoid any kind of issue or change in the sound that can be hard to control when doing a recording with a mic (especially when you want to record speakers).

I've always used OBS to get RS audio for all the YT video i've made.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

So you are using a shotgun mic to record a stereo source?

That seems like a lot of trouble since shotgun mic aren't really made to record sound that comes from the sides (and unless i'm missing something it also means that you would end up with a mono recording).

For all i know, every video on youtube that includes RS record the audio with a software on the PC directly to avoid any kind of issue or change in the sound that can be hard to control when doing a recording with a mic (especially when you want to record speakers).

I've always used OBS to get RS audio for all the YT video i've made.

You're right about the shotgun mic. I bought it originally for filming docu/how too videos and for that at close distances a directional mic is almost as good as hooking a lav mic up to the speaker.

I've been looking into an omnidirectional mic for recording music and that will probably be my next purchase. I've never tried OBS, I'll have to look into it. Is that the OBS from //obsproject.com?

• Administrator

Yes, it's what streamer used in general but it's also very useful to record games or PC screen very efficiently.

Here's an exemple of what i get with using OBS + a webcam and small editing :

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

Yes, it's what streamer used in general but it's also very useful to record games or PC screen very efficiently.

Here's an exemple of what i get with using OBS + a webcam and small editing :

WOW! Both the audio and video were impressive (great job by the way). I especially liked the PIP effect with the note road in the lower right, I need to figure out how to do that.

Only question I have is did you use an external PC mic or was the audio recorded internally only from your guitar signal feeding into the game?

This is exactly the effect & quality I was looking for and didn't realize you could do with a webcam and computer.

• Administrator

I have my primary PC that runs Rocksmith and that records the game AND the sound (i have the song turned down in the ingame mixer to 60 and the guitar to 100 so that the guitar stands out) with OBS.

And i use a second PC that records the webcam.

I just make sure i have what i need to sync both video before the song start and then i edit everything in Adobe Premiere which allow to put RS display in a nice setup.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

• 2 weeks later...