Using microphone option with Bass Guitar

raptorz3

Question

Hey guys. I want to start using the microphone option for playing Rocksmith with my Bass. Has anyone tried this yet? It says you should put the microphone near the strings. Will this work for the Bass? Should I put the microphone in front of my amp? Let me know. I wish there was just a way to use a plain usb cable from my Bass right into my laptop and not have to use the RT Cable. I have issues with the cable most of the time. Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

4 answers to this question

Yep, it works with my MacBook Air inbuilt mic in front of the amp (I doubt you'll pick anything up off the bass strings alone), but the note recognition is not as good as using the Realtone cable.  I also tried using a generic guitar/bass to USB cable and that works better than the mic input, but again note recognition not as good as the Realtone cable.

In both cases you'll have to play around with the settings - whereas the Realtone cable just works (when it's new).  It's a shame they couldn't have made it a bit better quality in the first place... What is your issue with the Realtone cable?  If it's crackly, I'll bet you just need to replace the jack end.

With my cable, the laptop does not recognize it anymore. I have to unplug the RT usb  cable

and re plug it in rapidly 10-30 times before it will work. then it states my volume is very low even though guitar settings and game settings are all the way up. I have 2 cables and they both do the same thing. I borrowed a friends cable and it works perfect. I read about replacing the jack end of the cable but I have not tried that yet. Do you think it would help?

It sounds like your problem is at the USB end rather than the jack.  If you can borrow your friend's cable again and swap the breakaway parts around, you might be able to tell which bits are broken.