Does anyone else think depth of field in Rocksmith 2014 is absolutely awful?

Archie79

Question

I use D of F and a lot of other post processing effects in most games, especially if playing games at 30 fps and open world games. But when I play Rocksmith I can honestly say I think it is the worst implemented D of F I have come across. Usually you would expect it to give a blurry/out of focus effect for distant item or round the edge of the screen. But D of F on Rocksmith just blurs everything and since everything you are looking at is simulated to be immediately in front of you it looks wrong. Also when the menu changes it gives a weird frame blurring effect which is awful. I hoped they would change this in the remastered version but obviously not. 

6 answers to this question

And the menus are still frustratingly slow on pc too.  Hit a button and 2 seconds later it actually does it.  Even Forza Horizon 3 got the menus sorted out, basic stuff...

I've never really noticed the DoF on RS14 tbh, but now I've read this no doubt it will start to nip my chops :D

• Like 1

• Administrator

Depth of Field is a useless effect as your brain will automatically produce it reducing the cost on the GPU to effectively blur stuff out. And that kind of effect is even more useles in games like Rocksmith where there's no reason to blur out what's further...

DOF is a cool effect for cinematic situation where you want to focus the attention of someone on a specific area but in any game you are yourself selecting where to put your attention and the DOF just blur out where it was decided that you shouldn't focus your attention...

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

I have always wandered what the point in D of F is because like you are saying I have always thought that your own eyes will adjust to the given situation you are looking at. The only thing it does is perhaps hide poor graphics a bit better and also to blur scenes you don't want blurred. I understand what it is for but just seems pointless when your own eyes already do it for you.

• Administrator

@@Archie79 It's an import from the movie industry (the same way motion blur is) and it makes sense in very cinematic situation where you want to force the focus of someone toward something but in a game it's pointless and even work against the player.

Any kind of sane player should deactivate everything and then adds what he knows is needed (which is why everything is deactivated in RS). And there isn't that many option that are really worth activating.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

I can understand using it for cinematic situations but I really don't see the point of it during game play. I tend to use blur during game play more depending on the situation. As a rule of thumb if I am playing games at 30 fps I will use blur to try and hide the frame rate issues. If I am playing at 60 fps then I will turn it off as the frame rate is much smoother. It's funny because when I play GTA V I use G-sync and can play a variable 45-70 fps which mostly makes the game look really good and I find no need for motion blur. But I tend to play it at a locked 30 fps with motion blur as I find 30 fps eliminates any micro stutter during game play and also fixes the stutter issue during cut-scenes.