Chord fingering

BHMath

Here two suggestions about chord figering

1. Is it possible to add a check box "ignore" or "ignore fingering for this chord". Because currently if I set one fingering for a given chord, this fingering is applied to all similar chord and If i don't want to "finger" a chord I'll have to clic OK everytime EoF finds it.

2. Would it be possible to share fingering between track. i mean if I define a specific fingering for a chord in lead. I'd like to have the same fingering for Bonus or rhythm withou rewrite it once again.

Thanks ahead !

Take a look at my Workshop. You'll find which song I plan to create someday.

Please leave constructive feedback, it helps me creating better customs !

Please don't thanks with comment but with the button !

1. There's already an "ignore" status that has a different effect. I'm not sure why you would want to define multiple fingerings for the same exact chord in an arrangement.

2. I'll put some thought into this, it could probably be done without too much difficulty. If there is a chord definition you want EOF to remember permanently, you can add it to the chordshapes.xml file.

• Administrator

@@raynebc I know i do sometimes have different fingering on the same chord depending on the situation but i never had any issue doing it so i'm not sure what @@BHMath is actually looking for.

One example that comes to mind is when you have a song in drop D, a power chord could be played with any single finger but sometimes, depending on the riff itself you need different fingering on the same chord. I usually define what i know will be the most commonly fingering used for that chord then adjust the ones that will use a different fingering and it always worked fine.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Sorry I may have not been clear.

an example should be better.

I was working on a version of nothing else matters. and I don't want any fingering on chord during the main intro riff because it is mainly two note one open and the other is 7e for instance.

If I save my project without any fingering I'll get the pop up to set it.

1. first chord I encountered is 0B-7e, i don't want fingering on this chord

2. second chord : 0E 2A 2D --> Ok this one I set fingering

3. third chord once again EoF ask me if I want to add fingering for the chord 0B-7e

What I was thinking about is a check box to ignore all the same chord. Because I know that i don't want any fingering on this specific chord during the whole song

Exactly the same if we think about actual fingering. If I define one fingering for a chord (for instance 0E - 2A(2) - 2D(3) all instance of this chord will get this fingering right ?) 

So what I propose is if you skip a fingering for a chord keep the current behaviour and ask again if EoF find the chord again. But if we check a box "ignore", never ask again to add fingering on this kind of chord.

I'll try to make screensho of what I got in my mind soon.

Here if I save my project and update fingering without apllying know shape I will get

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/cadd/6cqela35b66qbak2g.jpg

for the chord just before 00:16 I click OK to set no fingering then

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/af7e/34aqadafozoy4l82g.jpg

for the chord just before 00:18

What I'd like is for the first chord to have a box t ignore this chord for the whole part and don't ask again for this chord.

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/797e/pa6k5eyr1tgrgs82g.jpg

That was my first request.

The second is to use the defined fingering (ignore or not :D) between parts.

Because, let say we have two part strictly the same except the solo. If I defined chord in the first part I would like to hve the same in the second part ;)

• Administrator

@@raynebc I would do "0" as the fingering number that would indicate that no finger number are shown ingame while keeping the logic about EOF warning. I could see that as somewhat useful in some rare case indeed (especially if there's only one finger use in the so called chord)

As for the in between part (and even track), if you have the exact same riff you could just copy/paste it and that will keep the fingering that was define in the copied part.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

Finger 0 has represented the thumb for years (and will import this way from XML if the chart defines it), so I probably won't want to change that. If we wanted to go with a per-string option for undefined fingering instead of a note-wide setting, maybe "N" or "-1" (-1 is used for undefined in the XML file) would be good options for a string to have an undefined fingering.

• Administrator

Yeah i was thinking about the 0 as it reminds of open but didn't thought about the thumb (as i tend to use the T when i have to indicate it).

Whatever fits you and if that kind of option actually fits @@BHMath request too. I don't want to hijack his own suggestion too much :p

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

Personally, the easiest way for me to add that feature would be a status that can be added/removed by a menu function and/or a checkbox in the edit pro guitar note dialog box. This will allow it to be set for multiple notes at a time without overriding their fret values.

I didn't exactly understand everything you said technically but I do want a chord box for it but without any fingering and not having to repeat it during the chart. 

so having a notation like -1 to keep the chord box without fingering is ok

or having a check box during the fingering would be easier imo.

But you mentionned something about edit note (n shortcut) and I was thinking about fingering (f shortcut)

Thank you for rout times guys you are amazing !

My preferred option about a note status would be like applying any of the statuses that have a checkbox in the "Edit pro guitar note" dialog. You'd be able to check the box there, or use a separate menu function. This approach means that the entire chord is defined as having no fingering, you wouldn't be able to define fingering some but not all of the fretted strings in a chord.

• 2 weeks later...

any news on this features ? If you prefer an option go for it since there's no actual right way to do it.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I was off lately and I don't know when I can test it. But be sure I'll test it asap.

Ok the features seems to be working but this is not what I expected.

For instance here my workflow

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/1613/afkixs3ebma1q7b4g.jpg

I save my project and want to define all my fingering manually

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/0546/4jkdoddbc8azce74g.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/18f3/a14b3yyly4t0aha4g.jpg

First it will ask the fingering for the chord on beat 6. --> I don't want to have fingering for this chord.

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/8678/kheyoun6hgsg30u4g.jpg

Then I cancel, select the chord, press n, set it to fingerless then save again.

Once again asking me for a chord I don't want to have fingering so again I have to cancel, select chord, edit it to fingerless and save again

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/2f95/18o49yewbe74aqn4g.jpg

But unfortunately the same chord appears like one beat after (middle of beat 6 and middle of beat 7).

So once again I cancel, fortunately this time I think about SHIFT+L to select all similar chord then edit to fingerless.

And so on...

What I would have prefered is a check box in the edit note frets / fingering windows to prevent EoF to define fingering for this chord for the whole song.

And I didn't read it in changelog so it's probably normal but we have to defined fingering for each track even if we want the same fingering for GUITAR or GUITAR_22 or BONUS... Can you add an option somewhere to allow defined fingering available for all tracks ?

Thanks for your time.

Changing EOF to apply a fingering or lack of fingering to chords added later is a significant change in logic, I'm not sure if it's something I can make a priority.  I did plan on adding menu functions to toggle fingerless status (so you can apply it to several dislike chords at the same time), so if the feature is otherwise working in-game the way you intended, I can proceed with that.

About fingerings being applied to all tracks, I think it's been requested before, but I haven't gotten around to implementing it.  I'll put some thought into how to add this.

I did plan on adding menu functions to toggle fingerless status (so you can apply it to several dislike chords at the same time), so if the feature is otherwise working in-game the way you intended, I can proceed with that.

I did not really understand your meaning here but. I'm glad that what you already did is working fine. If you could make it easier that would be terrific.

Otherwise can't wait for all tracks fingering ;)

If you want to change multiple notes with the "edit pro guitar note" dialog in EOF, it changes all selected notes to be mostly the same (same fret numbering, same techniques, etc) so if you want to change an A chord and a B chord at the same time you have to edit them separately in order to keep them as different chords. Having a function to change just one technique allows different selected notes to keep their differences from each other.

If you want to change multiple notes with the "edit pro guitar note" dialog in EOF, it changes all selected notes to be mostly the same (same fret numbering, same techniques, etc) so if you want to change an A chord and a B chord at the same time you have to edit them separately in order to keep them as different chords. Having a function to change just one technique allows different selected notes to keep their differences from each other.

Wow amazing that would be awesome. A lot of time I thought about this feature. I can't wait ! You are the best ! Thanks again (and again, and again). can't thank you enough

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't read anything about fingering available for differents tracks in latest upadte (2-28-2017) is it still planned ? Is it already working and I didn't know ?

Thanks ahead