Can't Hear My Instrument!

Paul2014

Question

The problem I'm having is I can't hear my instrument when I'm in Rocksmith 2014.

I don't know if the problem is the Real Tone cable or my computer. I unplug and re-plug the cable and the problem remains the same.

I right-clicked the volume icon that's located on the bottom right of the computer screen (once I get out of the game) and I find the cable muted.

right-click the volume button > double click on Recording Devices > double click on Microphone (Real tone cable) > click on Levels .

I find that the microphone (real tone cable) is muted and the volume level is at -8.0 db. I un-mute it but after a few seconds, it automatically mutes itself. I raise the volume level to at least 0.0 or just leave it where it is and it always mutes itself automatically. I see it mute itself.

I've attempted to update the driver for the real tone cable but it has it's most updated driver. I've disabled the real tone cable and enabled it again. Doesn't work.

Is the problem the cable or is it something else??

11 answers to this question

Did it work before for you? In the link is a beta and maybe worth a try http://customsforge.com/topic/34959-new-beta-version/

If you're adjusting the volume level is RS running? Any other applications which are accessing the device?

The Cable worked fine up until early November. A couple of days after the problem first began, I was able to hear my bass guitar while in Rocksmith. I didn't do anything to try to make it work. It just did that one night. Since, it hasn't worked properly.

Thanks for your response.

I start Rocksmith and there's no sound. I do Alt-Ctrl-Del to get out of the game while it's still running. I look at the volume under Levels and the Cable is muted. I un-mute it.

Sometimes, it will change back to muted in a split second. I see it happen. Other times, it doesn't happen quite so quickly. I get back into Rocksmith but by the time I start a song, the bass is muted. Other times, I can actually play a few notes before it goes quiet. Rarely, I am able to play most of a song before it goes quiet. 

I  do Alt-Ctrl-Del to get out of the game while it is running to check the Levels again and it is muted.

It's changing on its own for whatever reason.

I tried the Beta option through the link that you provided in your response but it didn't fix the problem. I followed the steps.

Maybe it's the Cable. Do you know where to purchase another one other than through Ubisoft?

Did it work before for you? In the link is a beta and maybe worth a try http://customsforge.com/topic/34959-new-beta-version/

If you're adjusting the volume level is RS running? Any other applications which are accessing the device?

Another thing...I don't have to open Rocksmith for the  Cable to get muted. Before opening Rocksmith, I plug the Cable in to the USB port (I've tried them all), I open up the volume button and check the Cable settings. It always shows that the Cable (microphone) is muted. I un-mute it but it goes back to mute within seconds.

Try the cable in another computer before getting a new one.   Might be some other program that keeps muting it.

Thanks for the help. I tried the cable in another computer and it works. The version of Rocksmith on this other computer is the original version; not the Remastered version. I don't know if that has anything to do with the problem I'm having.

At least you know it's not the cable and buying a new one won't fix it.

Did Rocksmith audio work at your "problem PC" with the Rocksmith 2014 version and it stoppend when upgrading to Rocksmith 2014 remastered or did it work a few days with the Rocksmith remastered version before it broke?

Maybe there are updated sound drivers (for onboard or soundcard) or trying this https://support.ubi.com/en-us/Faqs/000019027/Reinstalling-the-Real-Tone-Cable-PC-RS

At least you know it's not the cable and buying a new one won't fix it.

Did Rocksmith audio work at your "problem PC" with the Rocksmith 2014 version and it stoppend when upgrading to Rocksmith 2014 remastered or did it work a few days with the Rocksmith remastered version before it broke?

Maybe there are updated sound drivers (for onboard or soundcard) or trying this https://support.ubi.com/en-us/Faqs/000019027/Reinstalling-the-Real-Tone-Cable-PC-RS

There were no problems with the "problem PC" after upgrading to the Remastered Version. I don't remember how many days after the upgrade the problem started. I do know that there was one day after the problems started that I was able to hear my instrument. I didn't do anything to fix the problem. I was simply able to hear the instrument that one day. Then every day afterward the instrument has been muted.

I tried the fix in the link you provided but the problem still persists. The drivers are updated.

What do you mean by "onboard"?

If there's no soundcard or graphicscard in the pc it uses the soundchip/graphic-chip of the motherboard (= onboard).

When it worked before with the Rocksmith 2014 remastered edition then something automatic might have happend - steam does not allow to disable updates (I don't like this automatism, because I want to decide after reading the changes to install the patch or not) and they are applied in the background.

It's possible that after you played RS2014 remastered first time it worked and then a patch caused the issue on this PC - other reasons could be a windows update  or the installation of another software.

It seems that another process is adjusting your volume, but to find out which one it is could be complicated and requires deep background knowledge of the operation system. There are tools like Process Explorer from Russinovich https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb795533 to get more information, but it's not trivial to interpretate everything and to know what to look for. I don't know if asking for support at ubisoft will provide a solution.

Maybe it's something strange like this http://www.redrhino.co.uk/volume-control-automatically-reduces-and-slides-down-to-zero/

I would never recommend a drastic measure to solve a problem - if it's "only" a gaming pc and you've not installed many programs I would reinstall it if I can't find the reason for the problem. But be aware that there is no guarantee that it solves it and to reinstall everything might take a lot of time.

• Administrator

Since the latest patch, there's another field in the Rocksmith ini file that allow to disable the microphone mode and get back to a more standard situation which can be worth a try but Rocksmith shouldn't mute any audio input...

C376waVXAAMeD82.jpg

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity