Rocksmith 2014 doesn't register C standard

Nichrome

Question

Hi

I have been enjoying Rocksmith 2014 and Custom DLCs for 2 weeks so far. However, I have experienced rather weird issue when downtuning to C Standard (e.g. for Alestorm songs, CDLC). Tuning goes well, no problem there. However, the yellow string (still learning, forgive me) is only detected if no fret is held; anything that requires a fret (1, 2, 3 - 21) on a yellow string, it is always a miss. Without a fret, just strumming the yellow string is just fine.

All other strings work perfectly fine. On E standard it is also good.

Thanks for any help!

7 answers to this question

What gauge strings do you use?     If you have "normal" skinny strings then you will always get problem in that low tunings.  They strings are just to flabby.  Try pressing them really lightly when you play and see if it helps.

But you can always check your intonation that might be the problem to.

Hi

I am using medium gauge strings. Specifically, those: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AQBT3FQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I did try lighter and* stronger presses, but it's being picked up randomly. Once it's picked up for 5 notes, other time it doesn't pick for another 20 notes even if pressed in a same way (hardness, pressure etc).

I'd recommend using a drop tuner pedal rather than finding the correct gauge for the correct guitar in order to get a good note reconginition in rocksmith in low tunnings, I used to have that same issue without the pedal, now I use 10s on E std tunning with the pedal and I don t have the recognition problems that I had before

Well the question is: am I really supposed to buy additional accessories to get things work properly? I found one pedal on eBay UK, it's 23GBP but is it something that will work as it's supposed to?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PT-02-Chromatic-Guitar-Tuner-Pedal-/252480756472?hash=item3ac9069af8:g:kK0AAOSwawpXsv4x

Edit:

Just took a look at Customsforge CS Song Selection List (Google Docs spreadsheet) and I found one of those songs I tried to play but had issues:

Nacholede Alestorm - Drink 3 N/A 5           Low tunning, need heavy gauge

I might get heavy gauges when I will be in need to replace the strings to see if it makes any difference to:

1. Gameplay on the guitar itself

2. Recognition in the game

Honestly, to play anything in C or lower, you should have another guitar.

Consider that in low tunings you start entering the frequencies of Bass players.

To really have a nice sounding, tight vibrating and responsive low string, you need a longer scale (neck), as bass guitars have.

Baritone Guitars have those longer scales closer to bass. They may be harder to play, low frets being farther apart.

An nice compromise seems to be multi-scale (fanned fret) guitars, where low strings have longer scale,

while high strings have shorter scales. But they have mostly 7 strings, which might be confusing.

Currently I'm surrounded by 5 guitars,

1 acoustic, with a pick up

1 tuned to E mostly (with min-Etune for automatic retuning)

1 tuned to Eb

1 normal guitar with heavy gauges, with 95% correct recognition of B-tunings (but it doesn't sound clean on an Amp and will be replaced)

1 bass

Now that RS Remaster doesn't require tuning calibration,
I'm up and playing within 5 seconds 
no matter what tuning. :)

I would never go for a tuner pedal, unless you only play with headphones, or very loud speakers/ amps
otherwise you will still hear the acoustic standard tuning of your guitar, and that is very disturbing ( for my ears)

And how about this 

I have never heard of a drop tuning pedal , i went down the route of more bass guitars (lets face it you can never have too many) all for different tunings one of which is a five string for the ultra low tuned songs are tuned to A and B. Besides they look well cool on the wall anyway and one on its own would get lonely ha ha 

• Like 1

Guitars: ESP LTD F-54 Bass, Tanglewood Curbow4 Bass, Stagg BC300-N Bass, Yamaha BBN5bk (5String), ESP LTD AX-360, Plus a cheapo no name acoustic

Well the question is: am I really supposed to buy additional accessories to get things work properly? I found one pedal on eBay UK, it's 23GBP but is it something that will work as it's supposed to?

The fast answer will be yes, either going with TomSawyer2112 or Bluetac recommendations about getting different guitars/bass for different tunings or going for the drop tune pedal.

In my opinion if you only want to "play" in RS will go for the pedal. If you want to get more serious on playing then go for more gear/instruments.

For RS I use the digitech drop tune pedal, it works pretty well and does the job, also if you go for a drop tuner, use headphones, as TomSawyer said, the difference in tuning you'll hear from the guitar and from RS is distracting

https://www.amazon.com/Digitech-DROP-Compact-Polyphonic-Pitch-Shifter/dp/B00LXMN740