Favorite Brand and model of Guitar?

Spades

My favourite, the one I always go back to, is my Fender Classic Player Baja.  It was designed by some guy in the Fender custom shop and is basically a 50s Tele with soft "V"-shaped neck with 21 medium jumbo frets, custom vintage-style Broadcaster bridge pickup and custom Twisted Tele neck pickup.  The difference between the 50s spec is the four-way pickup switch and S-1switch which allows 6 combinations of the two pickup (with series and parallel when you combine neck and bridge plus out of phase for both of those combos).  Got it in blond second hand in mint condition, it has those classic good looks, is built like a tank and you can play any style of music on it... 

Fender Classic Player Baja Telecaster; Epiphone Nighthawk Custom; Westone Concord 1: Italia Mondial Classic;

Epiphone J Mascis Jazzmaster; Chapman ML2 Classic Gold-top

I own a PRS SE Custom 24, and a Ibanez Jet King IV. I have owned some crap Aria Strat-copy (my first, which I quickly got rid of for a...), a Epi SG Prophecy GX (which I should have kept, but sold to purchase a...), Samick "jazz box", which I traded for a.... just kidding.... I did sell the Samick to purchase a Digitech iPB-10 multi-FX board (let's not go there..... I didn't have any pedals, so I figured, "What the hell?!?!" since I'm a gadget guy..... Not a smart move, buying something tied to any Apple product.....

I bought the PRS SE after my wife got back from Afghanistan (she was Canadian military (recently retired) and I am retired from same) as a present to myself for looking after 3 monsters.... er, children.

I have been looking at the Line6 Variax series, since I normally keep the PRS in standard (or Eb at most, due to floating trem) and the Ibanez (which I have modified a bit, since I got it cheap.... a kill switch hooked to volume, new Tusq nut, used SD JB pick-ups, heavier gauge strings (11 - 56)) I keep in Drop D and bounce around from there (easier to retune due to Bigsby-style trem). But I would like the Variax so I can stay with one string gauge and let the electronics handle tuning changes, so I can use one guitar (yeah, right!!!) to play whatever I want in Rocksmith (I normally play a bunch of songs in one tuning, switch guitars (or tunings) and then play more, and so on.....). The ~$1500 price tag is keeping me from pulling the trigger, but there are scratch and dents available at the bigger online stores, especially in the shredder style (JTV-89) since they added a Floyd Rose trem to that line (JTV-89F).

I am also in the process of building (from a kit) a ES335 Dave Grohl (Trini Lopez, actually, but DG uses the TL style, making it popular again), but I screwed up a few things (the finish, a mounting hole for bridge) and it's been below freezing since October and my GAFF (give a f&*k factor) dropped (LOTS of sanding killed the passion for a kit) and I will revisit it once mother nature becomes more cooperative. I love the idea of a semi-hollow body (the Samick was too thick (and loud, even unplugged)) since I think they are the "sexiest" of all guitars.

My "If-I-Win-The-Lottery" guitar is the Gibson Alex Lifeson Axcess (signed of course) and then the PRS Paul's Guitar. Can't see buying anything over $2000 unless I win the lottery, since my playing isn't commensurate with the cost. If I could get a decent made in the USA guitar in the $1500 (Fender, Gibson, PRS), maybe, but I haven't seen too many that are worth the extra money (compared to the off-shore equivalent).

http://0f9837bb1d8aa610a84a-102a6ca990457d67fd96fbe768cb23f2.r50.cf3.rackcdn.com/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p/r/prs_se_custom_24_2012_electric_guitar_-_tobacco_sunburst.jpg

http://www.mveducation.com/assets/products/48707_l.jpg

My favourite if I'm honest is my Ibanez sr500 bass, but for my guitars, in order, schecter omen 6 extreme (new) custom coloured aria mac pro, ibanez sa 360qm (new, slightly disappointed with that one) and finally my westfield electro acoustic.

I wish I had stuck with my original plan and bought the rgs32 mol over the sa360, something just isnt clicking with that one, but it's very early days so hopefully it'll click, had high hopes after the way I clicked with the ibby bass.

I'm curious are they just cheaper versions of strandbergs?

You mean Steinberger?  Well, considering the real Klein Steinbergers sell for thousands of dollars, I'd say ... yep!

I'm not too hopeful about this guitar. But I've been meaning to build myself a Klein-type guitar for years, just haven't gotten around to it. This guitar would provide me a lot of shortcuts -- I could use it to make a template for the body, which is about 80 percent of the work of building a guitar (I'd buy a new neck) .

You mean Steinberger?  Well, considering the real Klein Steinbergers sell for thousands of dollars, I'd say ... yep!

I'm not too hopeful about this guitar. But I've been meaning to build myself a Klein-type guitar for years, just haven't gotten around to it. This guitar would provide me a lot of shortcuts -- I could use it to make a template for the body, which is about 80 percent of the work of building a guitar (I'd buy a new neck) .

No there actually a headless brand named Strandberg, they specialize in multi scale and extended range headless instruments, http://strandbergguitars.com/ but they are like 4000 minimum haha, building a guitar sounds cool i've always wanted to do that but never quite had the money one of my dads friends makes high quality strat copies with really really heavy wood.

My 

Hohner/Steinberger GT-2  - Great travel guitar and a pretty good player all around.  From airports to submarines, its been everywhere.

Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II - Nice version of the Les Paul with chambering and some Stratesq contours  and nanomag acoustic emulation

Fender Strat Standard - Mexico - my first one circa 1995.  Looks really nice since the varnish yellowed.

Starcaster P-Bass - Seems really nice for about $100. Had some issues with the original pickups getting loose, replacement is great. Just got this to try my hand at bass. 

My first and only electric guitar Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro in Silverburst. Bought this as a Christmas present to myself!

My first and only bass Ibanez AEB5E Bought this to see if I would even like to play bass and now prefer it over my guitar.

My first and only acoustic Alvarez 6 string. Stole this from my brother 20+ years ago and have always loved playing it.

I have both;

Epiphone SG Special Electric Guitar - Cherry

Epiphone Les Paul Special II Electric Guitar - Vintage Sunburst

The SG is by far my favorite.

but for my ultimate ever dream guitar it just has to be

Gibson 1957 Les Paul 2013 Reissue - VOS - Dark Back - Gold Top

Just wish I had the cash to splash. But the Epiphones do the job for me. I have had Fenders (School Loaned) in the past but never been as comfortable with them as i am with my Epiphones

I currently have:

Spectrum Strat Copy (from when I was like 13)

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser (Aged White, Replacing EMGs with Bareknuckle Juggernauts with burnt chrome covers, in the shop atm >.>)

Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite

Ibanez RG8

Next purchase is a Mayones Reguis 7 towards the summer, I'm also looking into getting a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 for recording and such.

(Might sell my RG8 and C-1 to fuel this purchase)

Just sold my ESP-LTD EC1000 Deluxe, was my baby, but I needed the Hellraiser and the pickups. :'(

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a Gibson SG Standard and love it!!!!

I was thinking about getting a Jackson at some point - but my local store doesn't keep them in stock (so I can't try one out).

Has anyone got any experience with them - good or bad? I quite like the King or Kelly...

Thanks!

My most loved bass was my 1990 Washburn XS8 what a guitar that was. But those are days past, I would buy one in a heartbeat if I could find one for sale. I foolishly sold it when I got out of the navy. It was light weight and easy to set up and play. I just can't say enough about this bass.

Today my favorite is my Ibanez TR70 Series bass seen here next to my Dean. It plays nicely and is lightweight the neck is thin and suits my hands well. It plays fairly clean and sounds nice. It will be getting a paint job in the next month or so if I ever decide I want to give it up for a week or so while I refinish it.

Posted Image

I'm looking to pick up another washburn in the near future I think deep down I'm holding out For a good condition XS again.

It's good to know that everyone I idolize at one time or another in their career was where I am right now.

xygc1vpatg2zi076g.jpg

Since my birthday's coming up, I went ahead and bought this direct from the manufacturer.

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/51a7/n57nj1udxg2nbumfg.jpg

I have no idea what I'm going to receive. Could be a total POS. Could be a great guitar. Might not even ever get here! (Although they seem like a real company, they supply a lot of the knockoff guitars and even a lot of the name brand stuff).

My plan is to use the body as a template to build my own. Unless it turns out to be  a decent guitar.

Once you've gone headless, it's difficult to go back. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Gibson Les Paul Traditional it weighs in at 9lb 2oz has a 50's style neck, a little fatter than usual Gibsons, one piece back AAA flame maple cap, Klusons blah blah blah. I love it, I've had too many guitars and this is the one I stick with, the feel of the neck, for me, is very important. I used to have a Strat, but it felt like a toy by comparison, it was sold quickly! The sustain, from the mass, of the Gibson is unreal, it goes on for about 3 weeks :) And thats without high output pups, mine are 57plus R&T respectively and the strings are custom lights Les Paul Sigs 9 ~52. So to reiterate get a fat Gibson and you will never buy another guitar, unless you are a weak willed consumeristic fool like me :)

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/attachments/gibson-les-pauls/110287d1393931759-post-your-family-photos-2014-p1000537.jpg

Sex is like spreading butter on toast. Sure you can do it with a credit card, but its so much easier with a knife :shock:

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Epiphone LP Custom from 2007. The first Guitar i bought with my own money. I guess i was lucky with mine. I purchased a MIM strat, a sterling JP, PRS SE24 and tried guitars between 300$ and 4000$, all with the intention to buy one. None came close. For me, more expensive guitars where always about looks. I just can't justify spending 3 grand for a nice finish.

To this date i have not found a guitar that resonates and sustains like my LP. I have put a JB/Jazz set in it and am done. In a lucky accident i might have screwed the wiring up. I have two push-push-pots for splitting. The Neck by itself is really dull, but in the middle position with both HB's split i get a really convincing acoustic sound :lol:  Through the Years i modified the finish (stripped the neck and top completely without refinishing).

Also, since it got releveled twice, the frets are nice and low. I hate tall frets with a passion. No new guitar comes with frets that low. I fear the day when these can't be leveled again  :(

I often thought about upgrading the hardware (tone pros bridge, graphtech nut), but i'm at the point where i fear every modification might make it loose it's mojo. So, i fix whats broken and stopped searching for something better  :wub:

• 3 weeks later...

Big fan of Gibsons here. I have an '83 Les Paul (that badly needs new frets set) that mostly sits in its case under my bed. Dream one day of owning an SG, an Explorer, and a Flying V. HUGE Flying V fan but I gotta have a real Gibson V (I'd settle for a Jackson Rhoads). I also love the Gibson RD (it's what the Ghost guitarists play) but I don't think you can get them for under $2500. My Iceman (below) is about as close to an RD as I'll ever get.

16939004_10154747909768153_6388865360533

However, I somehow became brand loyal to Ibanez at some point. My main guitar is a HEAVILY customized Iceman.

17361642_10154817308228153_2113277908360

Bigsby roller bridge, DiMarzio pickups, killswitch. The tuning machines are even custom. It's nuts. It cost me practically nothing. The bridge alone costs about what I paid for the whole guitar. It's awesome. Plays like crazy. I also have an Ibanez acoustic for when I don't feel like plugging in. I'm primarily a bass player, though.

15747697_10154528245348153_7746298004028

I play an Ibanez BTB. It's a Mark 1 from forever ago. I don't think they make this thing in a 4-string anymore and it came with the stock Ibanez pickups. I guess the later models shipped with Bartolini pickups. If I can scrape the cash together for a set of those bars, I'd like to replace my pickups with Bartolinis.

• 3 weeks later...