Can't update toolkit

Sorry to be bombarding the forums as of late, I just seem to be hitting issues left and right! Anyways, Every time I click the update button in the corner, the toolkit closes, and there's a new executable in the root directory called "RocksmithToolkitUpdating.exe", and it doesn't seem to go away. I've tried redownloading the toolkit zip folder, running the toolkit as an administrator, as well temporarily disabling my AV, but still nothing. Anyone familiar with this issue?

• 4 weeks later...

I too experience this issue, and have tried the same steps you speak of.  However, I also cannot find a way around it except for downloading a new version from the web page, and not relying on the updater.  It may be related to Win10, as I didn't have this issue when I was still on Win7.  ...if only my PC hadn't taken up smoking last year...  ;)

Keep smiling. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

See my Workshop here.

• Developer

Please give beta 32ec4cd7 a try and let me know if the updater is working again.

Are you tired of AV False Positives???  Now accepting donations on my website (Click Here)  Your donation will be used towards buying a code signing certificate.   CGT is now compatible and safe to use with Rocksmith® 2014 Remastered ... 

Latest Build of Custom Game Toolkit (CGT) w/ Game Save Gigbox       Latest Build of Rocksmith Toolkit       Latest Build of Customs Forge Song Manager (CFSM)

All bug reports and help requests please include your: OS, CPU, AV, .NET Framework versions along with a description of the issue (include screenshots of error if possible).  It should go without having to say ... make sure you are using the latest build before submitting bug reports or asking for help.

*  Remember to use your magic words (please and thank you) if you would like a response.  Don't use phrases like 'thanks anyhow' as it is demeaning.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Developer

I am running v2.8.1.0-52160fa0 beta and I have this issue too.   the updater downloads the zip, and it looks like it is applying but the previous version is still there

Can you unzip and install the downloaded version manually?  Is the downloaded zip file viable (can it be installed)?

The rscustom.net toolkit server uses TLS 1.2 (Transport Layer Security).  Some installations of Windows 10 have

this feature disabled.  You will need to manually enable TLS 1.2 for Windows 10 (read instructions here), before the toolkit updates will work.

Internet Explorer 10

Enable TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 in the Internet Options of Internet Explorer 10

Enable TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 using Active Directory group policies

Are you tired of AV False Positives???  Now accepting donations on my website (Click Here)  Your donation will be used towards buying a code signing certificate.   CGT is now compatible and safe to use with Rocksmith® 2014 Remastered ... 

Latest Build of Custom Game Toolkit (CGT) w/ Game Save Gigbox       Latest Build of Rocksmith Toolkit       Latest Build of Customs Forge Song Manager (CFSM)

All bug reports and help requests please include your: OS, CPU, AV, .NET Framework versions along with a description of the issue (include screenshots of error if possible).  It should go without having to say ... make sure you are using the latest build before submitting bug reports or asking for help.

*  Remember to use your magic words (please and thank you) if you would like a response.  Don't use phrases like 'thanks anyhow' as it is demeaning.

• 1 month later...

Is This still being looked at?  I am using Windows 7 and like the others, it appears to update, but does not.  I have to manually download the new version and decompress it to where it is installed and then reset options.

• Developer

@slgorin  "Is This still being looked at?"  No.

Please confirm TLS 1.2 is enabled in Windows 7 and try again and let me know results.

• Developer

Do you have your AV set to allow the updater zip to be installed and the updater exe to run?  Most AV don't like auto updaters because they function like virus/trojan would that is trying to install itself.  So you need to add all blocked toolkit files and operations to AV white list of approved apps.

• Developer

I have three machines the toolkit is on and the same thing happens to all three and I have added that folder to the exception list.

Have you added all toolkit exe to your AVs exception list?  Additionally, have you given Win7 permission to run the exe's?

I added the entire directory and windows always prompts for permission to run the update program.  I have even run the update program with admin privaledge.  I always have to download the new program and overwrite all the files in that directly.

• Developer

• Developer

The update hasn't worked for me either in a long time. Now that I looked at it, it downloads the new version correctly (latest_test.zip is downloaded to the toolkit folder) and the files are extracted to the temp subfolder, but the files of the old version are not overwritten at all and the temp files are not deleted.

Turning off Windows Defender and running the Toolkit as administrator makes no difference.

• Like 1

• Developer

@Alex360  Can you take a look and see if you can solve updater issue now that @@iminashi has given us very good direction?

I have a different issue I think.

I get these error in the application log when the updater app tries to start.

Using windows 10

Faulting application name: RocksmithToolkitUpdating.exe, version: 2.8.2.0, time stamp: 0x58cb00bc
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.14393.953, time stamp: 0x58ba586d
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x000da882
Faulting process ID: 0x1e74
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2b054fc7351aa
Faulting application path: C:\Users\Tony\Desktop\Rocksmith Customs\_Tools_\toolkit\RocksmithToolkitUpdating.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report ID: 71b20013-667c-461d-bf90-b74522f01550
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

and

Application: RocksmithToolkitUpdating.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.NotSupportedException

Server stack trace: 
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.nLoadFile(String path, Evidence evidence)
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFile(String path)
   at RocksmithToolkitUpdater.AssemblyCaller.PrivateCall(String assemblyPath, String typeName, String method, Type[] paramTypes, Boolean createInstance, Object[] methodParams)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Object[]& outArgs)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.IMessage, System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.IMessage)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.MessageData ByRef, Int32)
   at RocksmithToolkitUpdater.AssemblyCaller.PrivateCall(System.String, System.String, System.String, System.Type[], Boolean, System.Object[])
   at RocksmithToolkitUpdater.AssemblyCaller.Call(System.String, System.String, System.String, System.Type[], Boolean, System.Object[])
   at RocksmithToolkitUpdater.AutoUpdater.get_FileUrl()
   at RocksmithToolkitUpdater.AutoUpdater.UpdateToolkit()
   at RocksmithToolkitUpdater.AutoUpdater..ctor()
   at RocksmithToolkitUpdater.Program.Main()

• Developer

@KingCobra  Plz try adding 'RocksmithToolkitUpdating.exe' to your AV whitelist.  Toolkit is trying to creating this program.  Let me know results.

• Developer

@@KingCobra

Does this file exists?  C:\Users\Tony\Desktop\Rocksmith Customs\_Tools_\toolkit\RocksmithToolkitUpdating.exe

If not, then you need to be sure to allow write access to: "C:\Users\Tony\Desktop\Rocksmith Customs\_Tools_\toolkit\"

Then try running updater again.

@@KingCobra

Does this file exists?  

Yes, have have this file, and I have write access to the folder.

When I click the ''Click Here to update button" the 'Update Available' window appears. and the RocksmithTooolkitUpdating.exe file is deleted. When I click "Install Update" the file is re-created (copy of RocksmithTooolkitUpdater.exe?), but the program fails to start.

If I try to run RocksmithTooolkitUpdating.exe on its own, the program fails to start.

• Developer

@@KingCobra 'the RocksmithTooolkitUpdating.exe file is deleted. When I click "Install Update" the file is re-created'

This is normal operation (good).  You should not have to run RocksmithTooolkitUpdating.exe.  The toolkit should do it for you.

I am still looking for solution to issue.

@KingCobra  Please try latest build.  I added wait condition to running the updater.

• Developer

All:   Plz get the latest beta from here: https://www.rscustom.net/

I was having trouble with AppVeyor.  It is fixed now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. - Privacy Policy