D3DX9_42.dll no longer working

onebigfetus

Question

So for the past month I have been able to play my CDLC using the D3DX9_42.dll fix, but yesterday the file disappeared when I tried to load up rocksmith. I redownloaded it and placed it in the rocksmith folder, but everytime I try to fire up rocksmith from steam the D3DX9_42.dll file disappears from the rocksmith folder again and now I am no longer able to access the CDLC in the game. Anyone know of any fixes?

Everytime I try and play a CDLC song I get the unplugged audio device message because steam won't start rocksmith if the D3DX9_42.dll is in the folder, it deletes it first.

5 answers to this question

I had the same thing happen.   I have Norton Anti-Virus.   I think Norton had an update  recently where you had to reboot the PC.  I bet it did a scan afterward and moved it to its quarantine directory.     I copied it to the folder and watched Norton snag it when I went to play a song.   Definitely need to add the file to the exemption list. 

I also have Norton Security and it did the same thing, moved it into quarantine because it has a 'bad' reputation. I'm not entirely sure what that means but I'm gonna hold off for now as I'd like to remain virus free, I'll check back on the file in a few weeks. I wonder why it doesn't work now when it has been fine for ages.

• Administrator

@@JJPhoenix It just means that Norton has no idea who made it so "to be safe" it just get rid of it... Norton is being worst and worst about that kind of stuff, unless we sign the code (which isn't free) you can be sure many AV will just say "that's bad!" when their is no reason to think it is. The code doesn't go anywhere near your internet connection or anything that would be sensitive for your security.

Note that Norton also has a bad reputation of protecting their user : http://www.ghacks.net/2016/06/29/google-shames-symantec-for-security-issues/

You are more in danger with that kind of AV than by getting a random dll file over the internet :)

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity