RS2014 Remastered crashes if a non empty-phrase has only one level of DD

If the first arrangement of a CDLC contains at least one phrase with only one level of difficulty (level 0), RS2014 Remastered crashes when you try to play the song.

When you use DDC, this case may happen when the phrase has only one note or if all notes belong to the same category and subcategory.

As an example, the following CDLC has a lead arrangement in which 3 phrase iterations have only one level of diffculty (the first one is selected "verse.3" and has only one note) :

phrases_with_few_notes.jpg

To correct the CDLC with the BPR tool :

- unpack the CDLC ([File][unpack ...])

- Select the first arrangement

- For each phrase with only one level of difficulty and that contains at least one note, delete the phrase to merge it with the previous or the next one.

- Generate DD ([File][save and Generate DD])

- Pack the CDLC ([File][Pack ...])

The cause why the DD fails is likely to happen with songs that have solos with long sustained notes.

That may explain why I had 3 songs of similar style that crashed recently. (in development, before release)

But I don't define phrases with only one note,

and shouldn't DD generator respect the phrases defined in EOF?

Or have an option to do so ?

I normally set phrase length to 2 in DDC, (that was for RS14 to make DD more responsive),

a higher value will it minimize the risk?

Set to 12, it doesn't crash any more (it still crashed with 6)

but DD will be less responsive.

It's advisable then to put rhythm part first in toolkit,

(as I did in the released version which worked fine)

because chords tend less to get a level 0 by the DD generator. 

• Administrator

No ODLC have any phrase with only a level 0, there's always at least 2 level (0 and 1) to at least have a proper skyline where there's violet bar everytime there's note in that phrase/section. Note that ODLC accept to have 0 note in a level 0 of difficulty for very simple phrase.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

• Developer

"It's advisable then to put rhythm part first in toolkit"

If there are no errors in phrase/section it should not matter whether rhythm or lead comes first.  If the rhythm path is selected and the game gets past tuning when you do this you may conclude that the rhythm arrangement does not have a critical phrase/section error.

The only reason the toolkit recommends that the bass arrangement be select first if it is present is because of default tuning issues.

Are you tired of AV False Positives???  Now accepting donations on my website (Click Here)  Your donation will be used towards buying a code signing certificate.   CGT is now compatible and safe to use with Rocksmith® 2014 Remastered ... 

Latest Build of Custom Game Toolkit (CGT) w/ Game Save Gigbox       Latest Build of Rocksmith Toolkit       Latest Build of Customs Forge Song Manager (CFSM)

All bug reports and help requests please include your: OS, CPU, AV, .NET Framework versions along with a description of the issue (include screenshots of error if possible).  It should go without having to say ... make sure you are using the latest build before submitting bug reports or asking for help.

*  Remember to use your magic words (please and thank you) if you would like a response.  Don't use phrases like 'thanks anyhow' as it is demeaning.

@@TomSawyer2112,

If you define the phrases in EOF (to define the ranges of measures that contain similar patterns of notes), you can use a high number in the "phrase length" parameter of DDC (16 by example).

The "phrase length" parameter is here to create the phrases automatically, when they are not defined in EOF, but the DDC process is mechanical and not very clever.

So for a best result :

- create the phrases yourself in EOF (you can use various lengths of phrases)

- generate DD with DDC with a high value in the "phrase length" parameter to prevent DDC to divide the existing phrases in smaller ones

• Like 1

Hi,

After a few more investigations about this issue :

- Only the first phrase iteration "verse.3" causes the issue (this is the only phrase with only one note)

- The two other phrases with only two notes each and only one level of difficulty work fine in RS2014

- The issue is also present in RS2014 first edition

I need more investigations to identify precisely the root cause of this issue

I am interested in other CDLCs with a similar issue ...

Thank you

To be clear, the error happens completely out of sight to the charter.

On top of the image is the phrase DDC produced, but it was not in the EOF (bottom)

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/04bd/k4vxolhdquqdcx2zg.jpg

I had two more songs with the same error, but I can't reproduce it.

The error went away by magic, when I complete rebuild the Package in the Toolkit

(and may be I changed some other things, can't remember, maybe set phrase length to 4 instead of 2)

If it happens again, I send you the files.

p.s. The picture shows that DDC set a phrase with a lenght of 1 (p12), which it should not do, ever.

If uneven, DDC should rather use length +1 than length -1, or use a rest too small 

• Administrator

@@TomSawyer2112 DDC will always create phrase if the phrase length value is lower than the length of the phrase define in EOF by the user. Here you user a value of 2 which means that every 2 measure, a phrase will be created no matter what which is fucking dangerous if you wanna control the process of phrase creation.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

• Developer

"- If I remove the sustain of the previous note that overlaps the "verse.3" phrase, that solves the issue"

I believe that EOF threw an arpeggios error warning for this CDLC that was the original tip-off of the problem.  arpeggios sustain

Are you tired of AV False Positives???  Now accepting donations on my website (Click Here)  Your donation will be used towards buying a code signing certificate.   CGT is now compatible and safe to use with Rocksmith® 2014 Remastered ... 

Latest Build of Custom Game Toolkit (CGT) w/ Game Save Gigbox       Latest Build of Rocksmith Toolkit       Latest Build of Customs Forge Song Manager (CFSM)

All bug reports and help requests please include your: OS, CPU, AV, .NET Framework versions along with a description of the issue (include screenshots of error if possible).  It should go without having to say ... make sure you are using the latest build before submitting bug reports or asking for help.

*  Remember to use your magic words (please and thank you) if you would like a response.  Don't use phrases like 'thanks anyhow' as it is demeaning.

"- If I remove the sustain of the previous note that overlaps the "verse.3" phrase, that solves the issue"

I believe that EOF threw an arpeggios error warning for this CDLC that was the original tip-off of the problem. arpeggios <=> sustain

The phrase that causes the issue is added by DDC due to the length parameter value. So EOF could not warn about it.

I have to adjust the DDC phrase creation process to avoid this kind of issues ...

• Developer

I opened the xml arrangement with DD in EOF as a new project and then EOF gave the warning when I saved the project.  EOF is good CDLC debugging tool.  :)

• Like 1

I used a phrase length of 2 in RS14, because DD reached rather quickly a correct player's level, as the player had less notes to play in a pattern to make difficulty rise. And then there were always note recognition errors which could prevent levelling.

I never ran into the problem using the Toolkits 2.6 and 2.7 before the RS14 100% bug.

Even now Toolkit 2.6 with DDC 2.6 doesn't make RS14R crash.

Now that RS14R has improved DD settings, a phrase length of 2 is obsolete,

and I finally have understood ^_^ how DD only breaks the charters phrase, if it is longer than the DD phrase length setting.

• Developer

I'm not sure, but are you accusing the toolkit of being the problem?  Sounds like it.  Everyone here has tried to help you.  We have shown you where the problem is.  If you don't believe it that is up to you. 

Accusing, no certainly not, :huh: Master Peon

but as I experienced the situation it seemed to me either the toolkit, or the DD updates were causing the problem.

I must have released about 30 cdlc since September and only 3 were failing in the same way end of October.

That's why I posted the problems in the topic of the 100% bug TK beta version

I found now one of the other failing cDLC packed by the TK in 3 different versions.

version 2.7#7 : crashing RS

version 2.6 : working fine

version 2.7#7 or later : newly rebuild - working fine

I'm going to pm you the link to the files, I'm sure this will help.

I got the cdlc running fine, without your contribution, without identifying the problem.

I reported the problem because it cost me a lot of time, hours,

and I wanted to contribute to avoid problems to other charters, and maybe to help fine-tune some code.

I was only participating in testing your beta versions  ^_^

• Developer

@@TomSawyer2112

When you outright lie in a public forum most people would tell you to go f' yourself.  I will restrain. 

"I got the cdlc running fine, without your contribution, without identifying the problem."  This is utter bs, you PM me your corrupt CDLC.  I identified the initial problem and told you how to fix it.  Chlipoini narrowed it down further for you, but you continue not to accept the answer.

"I reported the problem because it cost me a lot of time, hours,"  Boo ho, you think I and others here didn't spend time trying to help fix your stinking CDLC.

"I wanted to contribute to avoid problems to other charters, and maybe to help fine-tune some code."  I don't need this kind of contribution and harassment in a public thread.

I can't understand your outburst. :wacko:

So even if I prefer playing guitar I need to give you the facts.

I also prefer keeping strictly to the rules of politeness, on this site.

You call me a liar ?

Are we equal before the rules?

The 18th October I first reported the problem.

It got no attention, so I guessed I was the only one experiencing the error.

I only updated the report, I didn't want to spread my issue in that topic.

The 29th October I update the report for the last time.

I clearly stated that the problem is NOT the Toolkit, but DDC.

Yes, later Chlipouni confirmed it is DDC.

In this Post, at 4:25pm I stated that I found a workaround by putting Rhythm arrangement first.

My CDLC (which you don't seem to like, but it's not stinking) was published at 5:58pm.

It didn't need any update. None of my cDLC have (report of) serious problems, like crashing RS.

You first replied to my problem at 8:58, three hours after my successful release.

That's the fact, and I need no further.

Yes I spent too much time in those ten days trying to identify the problem.

But I do customs, I don't do tools, I don't correct tools. You like doing tools.

Software have bugs, I did some professional programming myself, (in the previous century ^_^ )

When bug chasing is initiated, the old reflexes overwhelm me  :lol: .

I report errors, that's what charters are supposed to do, aren't they?

I reported the hanging of the Toolkit. And the update still doesn't work.

You have a lot to deal with, and I did not criticise.

And @@Chlipouni asked me to pm more cdlc of this error in a very positive way, which I greatly appreciate. ;)

He's not upset with the issue with DDC, and I'm not upset that my cdlc is exposed like crashing RS (which it does not) in this topic.

So now I've spend enough time here, time to go to releasing some more delicious Buckethead pikes. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. - Privacy Policy