Want to purchase a new bass, suggestions?

Bazza1017

Hello!

Several years ago I was into Rocksmith a lot, but I was mostly using a friends bass guitar. I've played both guitar and bass quite a fair amount when I was playing on Rocksmith, but haven't in several years because I've not had an instrument to play with.

However, I really want to get into it again and want to pick up a new bass guitar, but I've no idea where to start or how much to spend. 

In terms of budget, I think I'm going to look between £150-250, obviously pushing the higher end of budget if it will give me more bang for my buck.

I consider the one I borrow from my friend my "first" bass, so I think of this one as the next one I would have bought that would have been a natural progression from the first (if that makes any sense?) so I would prefer a better bass than a traditional 'beginners' bass.

I noticed also, on some sites they've got bundles with equipment thrown in too, for example
http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/LA-Bass-Guitar-and-35W-Amp-Pack-Blue/8FY

Would something like this be a good place to start?

Thanks in advance :)

In my experience with bass guitars (and personal preference) i have never liked Ibanez's, and i prefer stuff like P-Basses over J-Basses

I personally use a Warwick Streamer Rock Bass, cost me £400, and i would recommend it so much, except for slap.

I would suggest getting a Squire: Here

Or if you're looking for metal-ish i suggest this: Here (even after my dislike of Ibanez's)

I'll try to update this soon as it's early in the morning for me (12:20 here) Hope this helps!

~R.I.P Daisy Duck and Paddy~

We'll all miss you.

<3 <3 <3

i hate my Ashton

(Cheap 1st i ever had... Fret Buzz that comes back in diff ways + Goes Out of tune faster then any other bass i've used)

Love my Yamaha (RBX270J Bass)

http://data.yamaha.jp/sdb/product/image/main/raw/r/rbx270j_black/D297992F9B5D43B0AAD0BA3078776220_12073.jpg

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/el-basses/rbx/rbx270j/?mode=model

and want to get a 5-string Schecter Stiletto Custom-5

http://www.schecterguitars.com/international/images/stories/virtuemart/product/stiletto-custom-5-vrs-tilt.png

"Punchy, modern tone jumps out from EMG HZ pickups, a massive S-TEK bridge, and active 12dB EQ. Maple/walnut laminate neck with rosewood fretboard is joined to the mahogany body with six bolts for rock-solid stability. Figured maple top, diamond fretboard inlays, and black hardware add flash. 35" scale increases low B clarity."

FEATURES

• Mahogany body with figured maple top
  • Maple/walnut laminate neck
  • Rosewood fretboard
  • Diamond fingerboard inlays
  • Six-bolt neck joint
  • EMG HZ pickups
  • 12dB active EQ
  • S-TEK bridge
  • Black hardware
  • 35" scale neck
  • Like 1

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IL2zOTjhzm3gQCZ3_GR26ocW3ziEhg-2?usp=sharing__
Backup CDLC link ^^ - should list even the ones that got removed for inactive links...
just restored my ability to login again, so will try to slowly resubmit the missing ones...
and hoping to make a small come-back with some new CDLC ideas...

YAMAHA 4-String 24 Frets - D Standard -> C Standard & D Drop C...

ASHTON - 4-String 21 Frets, E Standard, Drop D, Half-Step Down (Nirvana)...

Phoenix? - BASS 21-22 Frets? - 4-in-line Headstock...
(3 BASSES + 2 ELECTRIC G + 2 ACOUSTICS + a UKE)

Les Paul Special II - Guitar 

IBANEZ - USED MODIFIED MODEL...
After-market Tremolo Bridge + head-stock locking nut thingys --- Free 1994-ish Guitar =   🙂

A close friend of mine has Ibanez K5 - Fieldy 5-String (A Standard) Bass (2006 Version - The Dark Green One)

http://www.ibanez.com/products/images/sig/pastmodels/K5_TKF_1M_02.png

"The Ibanez K5 is the signature bass for metal band KoRn's bassist Reginald Fieldy Arvizu.

Fieldy from KoRn has long been an Ibanez user due to its low weight and sound and he got an endorsement deal with Ibanez soon after the breakthrough of KoRn. The five string K5 bass is designed by Ibanez along with Fieldy and includes a Mahogany body, Rosewood fretboard with 24 frets and a K5 inlay at the 12th fret, gold hardware, two active pickups and a Vari-Mid EQ. To achieve his signature sound Fieldy tunes his basses to A, D, G, C, F, turns the midrange all the way off and brings down the EQ all the way down at 180Hz. This makes Fieldys bass stand out from the low end of the two seven string guitars instead of getting too muddy."
"I've played all kinds of basses. I've got other companies that want me to endorse, but I don't like any other basses. I'm not like some people who play an instrument because of a contract. I'm playing it because I love it."
  • Like 1

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IL2zOTjhzm3gQCZ3_GR26ocW3ziEhg-2?usp=sharing__
Backup CDLC link ^^ - should list even the ones that got removed for inactive links...
just restored my ability to login again, so will try to slowly resubmit the missing ones...

After-market Tremolo Bridge + head-stock locking nut thingys --- Free 1994-ish Guitar =   🙂

seen both of those on Ebay (Used in great condition) a number of times within the budget...

esp the Schecter... rare but rarely searched for i guess... so good luck bidding if u must..

I started witha Sonic Guitar G4 Series bass (piece of shit glad I pulled it apart for scrap parts) went on to a Squire P bass, now I have my esp f-104 style bass (3 knobs though like Tom Ayras one) with a Ibanez neck as they are heaven and my Mannix 6 string. If you are creative enough buy yourself something cheap and swap the neck to an Ibanez as they are so nice to play on.

Shit Bassist GG WP

Heh. I had an Ibanez and very quickly swapped it out. My preference is for either Schecter or the f-104 series from ESP LTD. Those are actually what I recommend. Here in the states you can find them for under $150 with a little looking. They're 35" scale so if you want to down tune they don't get mushy. Just a nice basic bass you can really push and get into it.

My f-104 is fantastic for a $140 bass. My Ibanez literally cut into the side of my hand. The Squire I had was ok, but no character and I felt, rolled over and died if you really got into it. I tried an American made Fender ... meh. It was ok, but not for that price. Tried a Schecter Stealth and it was really sweet. Loved that one. Have a few Schecters, bass, baritone and regular guitar. Love all three. 

Best thing I can tell you though is 1) take a look at what the musicians you really like play and 2) go play a lot of instruments. But, if you buy used and have some patience, you can often get an instrument to play through until you really know what you like and then sell it on for close to if not what you bought it for. Just don't buy new and know what prices are like for the instrument you're looking to buy. 

Heh. I had an Ibanez and very quickly swapped it out. My preference is for either Schecter or the f-104 series from ESP LTD. Those are actually what I recommend. Here in the states you can find them for under $150 with a little looking. They're 35" scale so if you want to down tune they don't get mushy. Just a nice basic bass you can really push and get into it.

My f-104 is fantastic for a $140 bass. My Ibanez literally cut into the side of my hand. The Squire I had was ok, but no character and I felt, rolled over and died if you really got into it. I tried an American made Fender ... meh. It was ok, but not for that price. Tried a Schecter Stealth and it was really sweet. Loved that one. Have a few Schecters, bass, baritone and regular guitar. Love all three. 

Best thing I can tell you though is 1) take a look at what the musicians you really like play and 2) go play a lot of instruments. But, if you buy used and have some patience, you can often get an instrument to play through until you really know what you like and then sell it on for close to if not what you bought it for. Just don't buy new and know what prices are like for the instrument you're looking to buy. 

I wouldnt use a f-104 for a starter to be honest though, the whole design wouldnt be comfy to start with. No Idea why your Ibanez cut into your hand though, My neck on my bass was one I bought with it and swapped it out  so it might of just been your neck.

What is the Scheter Stealth worth if you dont mind me asking? If they are good might have to grab myself one

Shit Bassist GG WP

Hi there :)

thanks for all your help with this, I really appreciate it :)

I think I'm leaning towards these two:

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Squier-by-Fender-Affinity-Precision-PJ-Bass-Guitar-Olympic-White/QRT

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Ibanez-SR300E-Bass-Guitar-Seashore-Metallic-Burst/1JC8

Would there be much difference in the sound of these? I play more rock / punk rock type things, so just curious might be more catered towards that.

I don't think I'm quite "there" yet to try pick up a 5 string bass :P I have mainly been practicing with Rocksmith, so I want to get back into that a lot then pick up an amp around christmas time :)

I wouldnt use a f-104 for a starter to be honest though, the whole design wouldnt be comfy to start with. No Idea why your Ibanez cut into your hand though, My neck on my bass was one I bought with it and swapped it out  so it might of just been your neck.

What is the Scheter Stealth worth if you dont mind me asking? If they are good might have to grab myself one

I'm very glad I started with the 104, mostly because it's probably the most flexible low end bass out there. The extra inch does make the strings tighter, not much, but you can feel it. Especially if you go to a 34" 5 string. That 135 low B is insanely floppy on a 34". I regularly do D drop C on my 104 with a 115 'E' string and it's wonderful. No, it's not the most comfortable bass to start with, BUT the initial stress of the extra long scale and tighter strings, I think, is worth it if you want to eventually play 5 or metal. 

And yes, it was that particular neck on the Ibanez. The frets had started to come loose and had never been polished on the edges. I have rather had to make my own style, not being able to really use my pinkies, so it was awful and not in a way I could get used to. Unlike the tight strings on the 104. 

And I've seen the Stealth down to about $300 used. I think it's around $400 new, which for the sound is really sweet. Now it doesn't growl and very much has that pure Schecter bell tone sound, but I like it. If it were neck through, I'd actually thing about getting the five string version for my traveling and bedroom bass. I still may. It has a wonderful tone, especially for a bolt on. The only Schecter I didn't like was I think the J replica because it didn't have XL frets. Sounded like a Schecter, but the action was awful for me.

For a beginner, I'd really say a 4. Mostly because it's a pain in the rump dealing with alternate tunings on a 5. "Do I drop the E? Do I bring up the B? Do I figure out how to transpose?" Meh. Stick with the basics for the first 100-150 hours at least. Of course I say this, my 'second bass' was a fretless 5 string Schecter.   ;) Meh. A good 4 will take you a long way toward knowing what you really want in a bass, which is the point of your first bass. It's not your 'forever bass', it's a way to get playing and learn what you like. 

If this is your first bass. I'd go for something with a slim neck. Avoid fat necked p basses and the like, your hands will thank you.

I'd probably grab  a inexpensive Ibanez SR if I was starting again, though I prefer a fatter neck nowadays.

To be honest, you'd be far better taking a trip to a big store and trying a few out to feel what's comfortable for you. 

• Like 1

If this is your first bass. I'd go for something with a slim neck. Avoid fat necked p basses and the like, your hands will thank you.

I'd probably grab  a inexpensive Ibanez SR if I was starting again, though I prefer a fatter neck nowadays.

To be honest, you'd be far better taking a trip to a big store and trying a few out to feel what's comfortable for you. 

This is how i ended up with my Yamaha... Most Comfortable BASS when i had the money for 2/3 of the range the shop had...

tried out 1/3 of them and it has a tone i've always liked regardless of what it's attached to...

Even Acoustically it sounds better then my other basses :)

Currently mine has Thicker Strings - BEAD (no G String) & the New Nut is a bit High for now... but i love it...

I chose the Woodgrain - Natural Finish... non-gloss ...

Ultimate-Guitar:

RBX270J Review manufacturer: Yamaha date: 03/05/2012 category: Bass Guitars  
1057_0_ver1478176544.jpg The RBX270J is perfect for bass players seeking modern features at an affordable price. Expanding on the success of the RBX260, Yamaha has added several improvements including an additional pickup, side mount guitar jack, black headstock, and several exciting new finishes.  Overall Impression: 8  Reliability & Durability: 7.2  Action, Fit & Finish: 8.8  Features: 8  Sound: 8    Overall rating:
 Reviewer rating:
 Users rating:
 Votes:
 Views:

As with most instruments, I've had good and bad even from the same manufacturer.  If at all possible see how a particular instrument (not just model) plays.  You can sometimes get a good instrument for much less $$$ if you check places like Pawnshops, or eBay and Craigslist.  

I personally love G&L, but some people don't like how heavy they are.  

Good luck, let us know what you get!