New display glitches appear with RS2014 Remasterd

Chlipouni

@@raynebc,

About the issues we have with RS2014 Remastered Edition :

- 100% scored when chords are in the arrangement

- Display glitches that appear with this new release

I think that I have found the reason :

=> In the previous release, we had define that handShapes cannot overlap two sections. As now phrase iterations are managed as sections, I think that we have to apply the same rule with phrases !

=> About the display glitches, they appear now on chords that contain an open note, but only when the chord is the first of its phrase iteration (In my CDLC these chords don't contain the chordNotes tag) 

• Like 1

1. At this time, I don't believe EOF is forcing handshapes to end at section or phrase boundaries. Can others confirm this seems to be required?

2. I don't understand, does the first chord in a phrase have to omit the chordnote tags for open notes while all repeats in that phrase need to have the chordnotes defined?

@@raynebc,

Let's look at the following example (CDLC : 4 Non Blondes - What's Up) :

<phraseIterations count="40">
        <phraseIteration time="90.978" phraseId="12" variation="">
    </phraseIterations>
    <sections count="21">
        <section name="verse" number="5" startTime="76.754"/>
    </sections>
    <chords>
        <chord time="87.466" linkNext="0" accent="0" chordId="10" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">
            <chordNote time="87.466" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="0" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="-1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="1" sustain="0.000" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>
            <chordNote time="87.466" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="2" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="1" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="2" sustain="0.000" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>
            <chordNote time="87.466" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="2" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="2" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="3" sustain="0.000" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>
            <chordNote time="87.466" linkNext="0" accent="0" bend="0" fret="2" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="3" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="4" sustain="0.000" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>
        </chord>
        <chord time="90.978" linkNext="0" accent="0" chordId="10" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="1" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down"/>
        <chord time="91.425" linkNext="0" accent="0" chordId="10" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="1" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down"/>
        <chord time="91.649" linkNext="0" accent="0" chordId="10" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="1" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down"/>
    </chords>

In this CDLC, a display glitch appears only on the "A" chords that are the first one in their section.

In the XML code, the chord tag at time "90.978" is the first one of its phrase iteration and the first one of its section.

The display glitch appears for this chord because :

- the chord tag doesn't contain its chordNotes

- there is one open note in this chord

As this CDLC is old, maybe EOF doesn't allow this now,

What is strange, is that the display glitches don't appear in RS2014 edition, only in RS2014 Remastered.

The big change that Ubi has made is to allow the player to select each phrase in RR as the sections in the previous edition.

So for now and only for this CDLC, my conclusions are the following :

- Each first chord in a section must contain its chordNote tags (at least for the open notes)

- Maybe the same for each chord that is the first in its phrase (unfortunately the CDLC doesn't contain this case)

About the scoring 100% issue what we know at the moment is that :

- Only arrangements with chords are concerned by this issue

- Phrases iterations are now selectable in RR as the sections were in the previous release of the game

=> So we have to find the new rules to apply on "chords", "chordNotes" and "handShapes"

That's all for me at this time 

1. At this time, I don't believe EOF is forcing handshapes to end at section or phrase boundaries. Can others confirm this seems to be required?

EOF warns you if a handshape crosses a section/phrase MOST of the time.

This did not give me a warning:

http://i.imgur.com/W9F5U4Z.png

This gave me a warning:

http://i.imgur.com/2a27Jzs.png

In-game both examples look the same (as expected) with a normal chord with the handshape lines ending at the phrase.  The following three chords are isolated repeat panes.

There are ways to chart that fixes this, but I've seen numerous CDLC's with broken handshapes, possibly cause they never got a warning (also possible the warnings were ignored).

So for now and only for this CDLC, my conclusions are the following :

- Each first chord in a section must contain its chordNote tags (at least for the open notes)

- Maybe the same for each chord that is the first in its phrase (unfortunately the CDLC doesn't contain this case)

How does this affect chord density? Does the first chord in a phrase and/or section need to also be low density, or could they be allowed to be high density with chordnote tags? Would there be in-game differences with whether all chordnotes were added versus just those for open notes?

This gave me a warning:

http://i.imgur.com/2a27Jzs.png

That warning is about a note crossing a section, it doesn't take handshapes (ie. manually defined ones) into account.

@@raynebc,

About the chord density :

- As you can see in my example, the first chord in the section (and phrase) has the high density status.

- In the game, this chord is fully displayed, so its density status is forced to 0 (Toolkit ?, Game itself ?)

About the display glitch, it appears only when :

- highdensity = "0" (this status may be forced when the chord is the first in its section)

- The chord contains at least one open note

- The open notes of the chord are not defined in the "chordNotes" tag

So, in my opinion, each chord that contains open notes should always define its open notes in the "chordNotes" section when :

- it has the low density status

- its is the first chord in a section or a phrase, whatever its density

@@raynebc - Regarding @@Rockfirstlast's suggestion, would it be possible to have EoF automatically redefine handshapes when an FHP interrupts a defined handshape (which should usually happen at a section boundary. You could also do it to always redefine a handshape on the first chord after a section boundary, since that might be easier)? It would be nice if EoF automatically dealt with situations like those presented, rather than having to manually recognize them and redefine the handshape after the section boundary.

EoF isn't explicitly forcing handshapes to end at section/phrase boundaries, but redefining the FHP, which it does force, seems to break handshapes (which, if you'll recall, is how I recognized that one of the previous EoF versions was often adding extra FHP a beat before section boundaries).

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

I don't know if anybody else has ever mentioned such an issue. I'm not sure why defining the FHP already in effect would cause any in-game problems with handshapes, unless this issue is something new with just the remastered edition of RS2. Can you make a short chart to test the difference in behavior (normal XML and one edited to redefine hand positions as suggested) in-game?

@@raynebc - This folder should have what you need. Here are some screenshots to save you some time to see what they look like in game. The "FHP Interrupt" defines a new FHP at the third chord, the "Section Interrupt" has a section (and thus new FHP) at the measure boundary, and the "Manual Fix?" is like the FHP Interrupt but manually redefines the handshape where the new FHP is defined (which works, but it would be nice to avoid having to do it, and more importantly having to recognize instances where you have to do it). In all cases it looks like it's the redefinition of the FHP that breaks the handshape.

As for whether it has to do with remastered, no, it was there before. It was how I noticed (or really, started caring about the fact) that EoF was adding extra FHP a beat before the sections began a few weeks back.

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

Been so busy with my latest custom that I sorta forget some fine details of chordify at the moment and whether it is better to not put fretted notes chordnote tags to avoid cross-shaped gems. Will have to Review past posts/tests. Didn't even realize there was a rule forcing open string chord notes at the beginning of a section (now phrase) and unsure right now if that even affects chordify. I don't believe it affected me in the past. Priority is obviously to get the game working normally again and me checking soon if everything we've tested still stands and if not, finding a workaround.

Tomorrow or Tuesday morning, I can pause my work on my imminent custom and run a few tests to test the following:

1) fretted note chord note tags

2) chordify on chords at beginning of phrase

3) if density is still user-selectable when using chordify

Thanks chlipouni and everyone for digging deep on the RS Remastered issues. I was surprised during testing that I scored 100% on my Blaze - Stare at the Sun custom, which is a challenging song... LOL

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

Check out the Tech Notes Tutorial Version 1.1 // Chordify Tutorial Rough Draft.

• Administrator

@@albatross213 The games always break Handshape when you cross a section, i'm not sure it's actually tied to the FHP definition but more something within the engine itself as some official song have the handshape being cut off but the fingering still remains on the fretboard.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Hi guys,

Not that chordify is at the forefront of current issues, but just letting you know that I won't be able to do any testing for hopefully only a little while since I have a herniated disk now pinching my siatic nerve and making it excruciating to get out of bed. I made some diving soccer saves and won the playoffs, but I am no goalkeeper, however I improvised since winning is something I deeply desired against sworn enemy.

I never thought being off work could be so boring. I always imagined playing RS all day but ixnay on that for now.

I'll get to finishing my custom and testing /tutorializing chordify as soon as I am better.

Cheers all!

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

Check out the Tech Notes Tutorial Version 1.1 // Chordify Tutorial Rough Draft.

The display glitch appears for this chord because :

- the chord tag doesn't contain its chordNotes

- there is one open note in this chord

I got time to check this out, but EOF is already writing chordnote tags for every chord except where their omission is intentional with the chordify mechanism. Chordnote tags have been written for all chords since February 2014, so this affected may just need freshly generated XML files.

As for the handshape issue, should I look into changing RS2 export so that whenever a new handshape/section begins, the handshape tag is ended and started again? I'd like to know if it can be verified that this improves in-game behavior, because this would make the handshape export logic a bit more complicated.

I got time to check this out, but EOF is already writing chordnote tags for every chord except where their omission is intentional with the chordify mechanism. Chordnote tags have been written for all chords since February 2014, so this affected may just need freshly generated XML files.

Does EOF apply automatically this logic each time it generates the XML files ?

It may be necessary to add a check if the same sequence of chords use the low density (by a user action) and none of these chords contain any technics.

As for the handshape issue, should I look into changing RS2 export so that whenever a new handshape/section begins, the handshape tag is ended and started again? I'd like to know if it can be verified that this improves in-game behavior, because this would make the handshape export logic a bit more complicated.

In my opinion, we need to validate that before changing the EOF handshape logic.

Except for where the chordify mechanism requires, chordnotes are written for all chords regardless of content. This was deemed necessary years ago to avoid possible graphical glitches in-game. Before that, considerations like density and techniques were taken into account but problems kept popping up.