Notes shift due to capo

Alpha_Gator

I've got my song in EoF (via a GP5 file) and all the notes and chords are right but once I convert via the toolkit all the notes shift over 2 to account for the capo on the second fret.  Is there a way to correct this outside of moving over everything 2 frets to account for the odd shift?

@@raynebc - I noticed this also a bit ago, but wasn't sure whether it was how it was intended to work. I was trying to test songs in C standard using a capo on a 7-string guitar instead of tuning down, and found that to get it to work right I had to change the tuning to B standard without transposing notes, then adding a capo at fret one. If I transposed things and added the capo it ended up in the wrong key (a semitone up).

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

As far as I know, that sounds normal. The game probably expects you to be in the correct tuning before ever taking the capo into account. I don't remember if the game displays the capo as the nut or displays real fret numbers instead of just the number of frets away from the capo position.

@@raynebc - From what I remember the game displays real fret numbers (with the capo placed on the neck and with open strings being displayed as usual but registering at the capo'd fret), but EoF displays notes relative to the capo.

As is it's fine for me since I've figured out how it works, but I have to admit that it isn't particularly obvious how to change the tuning on a track with a capo without doing some trial and error (and consequently, some people will get it wrong. I remember there being one track that ended up being in F tuning with a capo on fret 2 instead of E tuning with a capo on fret 3 because he tried doing that and said it sounded bad. The only reason I could think of for that is because it ended up in the wrong key because of something like this).

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

• Administrator

the game first check if you're in the correct tuning without the capo before asking you to put the capo on and check if the open note match what the game expect. So if the tuning isn't correctly define in EOF or the Toolkit the game will have the wrong tuning information to start with.

The capo is indeed shown while playing as you can see on that video :

TLDR : E std with a capo on 1 and F std are two different thing for the game.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

• 1 year later...

I'm having an issue with this, though there may be some EOF/Toolkit issues in the mix.

I'm working on a song where I transcribed all of it into EOF (by ear), with the capo on (1st fret, set in EOF as well), except for the guitar solo. I did the solo later, with the thinking "Oh, since it doesn't use any open strings, I can just leave the capo off". Which was fine, for learning it, but once it came time to write it down in EOF, I screwed up royally, and put down the actual fret numbers, rather than the numbers relative to the capo.

I tried to fix this by clicking N on the first note of the solo, subtracting 1, hitting apply, and then next....for every note of, like, an 8 bar solo. :mellow:

Well, it looks like it might've maybe missed the apply button on the first few notes, because they're still showing the old values. The problem now is, I've tried to go back and fix it repeatedly, and (for those 3 notes at least) none of the changes are reflected in the chart.

I tried multiple times. I tried deleting the XML files from EOF, forcing it to regenerate them from the chart, and that didn't work either.

The OTHER problem is I kinda wish I had never messed with the fret numbers in the first place. Here's why. The solo all takes place between the (actual) 6th and 15th frets, which is pretty far from the capo. Knowing your position relative to the capo is all well and good when you're on the first 3 or 4 frets....but once you get high up on the neck, it becomes difficult (for me anyway) because I rely on the dots to know where I am, and seeing conflicting numbers in RS is confusing.

You can see the solo here, before the middle point of the song, I believe:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x17rd0s

Here's the file if anyone wants to take a look:

https://mega.nz/#!Y49kBBKI!G3Cg5sY4X-7AOVyfrAfhq4sGy8hDcJeG1T9OU9TZ50w

I can't remember what I did on the other capo Hirakawachi song (with lead parts), Unmei no Mukou, and I can't go look because I'm not at home.

Thoughts?

Words of wisdom for CDLC charters:

"When in doubt, steal a tone from Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son"

- Billkwando

Download my L'Arc~en~Ciel Ken "Love Driver Cat" custom Inlays here

You can lower the fret values by one for selected notes by holding CTRL and scrolling down once on the mouse's scroll wheel.

Holy shit! I wish I knew that yesterday!

Is the problem that EOF reflects your changes, but the changes are not shown in-game?

Yes! :)

- Billkwando

I got it working again, as far as the game not showing the updates. That tip with CTRL and the mouse wheel was a huge help. I wish there was a doc somewhere that listed everything EOF can do.

I did notice in my capo customs, the game does show the actual fret numbers, not re-numbered relative to the capo......which is fine by me, now that I realize how hard it can be to ignore the dots.

- Billkwando

Every EOF keyboard shortcut that isn't listed to the side of the applicable menu function should be listed in Help>Keys. Otherwise the manual, tutorials and changelogs posted for hotfixes (these get added to the official documentation with each release candidate) should pretty much describe all features