Double Bass Songs

Ragnar1981

Hey Guys, 

i made a dream come true and i currently have a double bass here for loan. 

Now i play all the stuff from the "Blue note café", and i am searching for more songs to play in rocksmith.

Everything that has a nice double bass line would be welcomed. If you have a proposal, i would be very grateful!

Can also be only some walking bass exercises for example, i got a few but not all i think thats out there.

The Bach Inventions available as CDLC are awesome. Also, anything by Stray Cats. Almost all Elvis, 50's (original or style), Brian Seltzer, Django Reinhardt was all originally for UB (upright bass), pretty much anything up to the Beatles, because McCartney used a 30", they really aren't practical and sound strange on regular EB (electric bass) or UB. I use a baritone for most 60's and early 70's stuff..) 

Very generally, almost all jazz not specifically for EB, and anything before the 1960's. Think old ... like classical up until the takeover of the EB. 

Congrats on the lady. I'm thinking of possibly getting an electric upright bass if I ever get rich, but that happening ... don't see it. Also, check out some of the stuff from John Patitucci. Some people prefer Jaco, but I like Patitucci's teaching style better, because he also has the UB/classical background. 

• Like 2

Try some of the Police songs - Walking on the Moon, Every Breath You Take, Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic,  Shadows In The Rain etc. Simply Red's Sad Old Red sounds good on an upright. Wild Is The Wind by David Bowie, Cowboys & Angels and Kissing A Fool by George Michael, Shipbuilding by Elvis Costello, Queen's 39, Carter Takes A Train, Sting's Moon Over Bourbon Street, 

• Like 2

I chart BASS PARTS ONLY. Requests for guitar parts will be ignored. I hope that is clear. 

Twitter updates: @jamesprestonuk

Donations: https://paypal.me/jamesprestonuk?country.x=GB&locale.x=en_GB (thank you!)

I recently released some older B.B. King songs that have DB parts. "Five Long Years" and "Bad Luck Soul" to be specific. I also released a few walking bass exercises and the already mentioned Bach Inventions that should be nice on DB as well. Some of my other customs have DB parts as well, so you could just look through the list to find anything that fits the bill if you want.

• 1 month later...

thanks very much for the proposals. I  like Django Reinhardt very much, and also started a few Police songs. "Moon over Bourbon Street" is great on double bass for example.

You should check out all my jazz customs. The ones from before 1970 were all on double-bass. ;) Many of the early blues songs I have also were originally db.

And I'll be making more of that kind before the year is up!

Thanks for sharing those file bro I really appreciate that , I want to do some cdlc for latin jazz do you know how to make cdlc ? I have all needed I guess, the mp3  and tablatures let me know if you are in

• Rocksmith Championship Organizer

Zebra by John Butler Trio is an awsome one

YouTube                                                           The Phantastic 3                                                       Facebook

Captain-Sparton-weiss minimini.png

The Bach Inventions available as CDLC are awesome. Also, anything by Stray Cats. Almost all Elvis, 50's (original or style), Brian Seltzer, Django Reinhardt was all originally for UB (upright bass), pretty much anything up to the Beatles, because McCartney used a 30", they really aren't practical and sound strange on regular EB (electric bass) or UB. I use a baritone for most 60's and early 70's stuff..) 

Very generally, almost all jazz not specifically for EB, and anything before the 1960's. Think old ... like classical up until the takeover of the EB. 

Congrats on the lady. I'm thinking of possibly getting an electric upright bass if I ever get rich, but that happening ... don't see it. Also, check out some of the stuff from John Patitucci. Some people prefer Jaco, but I like Patitucci's teaching style better, because he also has the UB/classical background. 

Ok, most of that I'll agree with on songs. I'd also look into some other things that could pique your interest; ever hear Metallica, Nirvana, or Radiohead on a double bass? Fun stuff. Blues Traveler, Cranberries, Reel Big Fish, Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Joe Bonamassa also come to mind.

The point where I'll disagree is the odd sound for the Beatles' bass lines. So McCartney used a short-scale bass. So what? Standard length for an electric is 34". If it really annoys you, use a bass capo or transpose notes slightly to account for the whopping 4" difference in neck length. If none of that works, it might be your output arrangement (cab, pedals, etc.) at fault. Don't knock the instrument for it. It could be as simple as he used (and continues to use) a really nice, vintage tube setup, which sounds completely different than newer tube setups or any solid-state or hybrid you can pick up these days.

Not really the place to do too much discussion of finer points like that, though. If you'd like to continue this potentially quite intriguing debate, I'd request a PM thread or something to be the place.

Ragnar, hope you find some good options in any or all of the suggestions here; there are some pretty decent musicians on here, and between the lot of them I'm sure you'll find an overabundance of options to sort through that would fit your needs and musical tastes.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IL2zOTjhzm3gQCZ3_GR26ocW3ziEhg-2?usp=sharing__
Backup CDLC link ^^ - should list even the ones that got removed for inactive links...
just restored my ability to login again, so will try to slowly resubmit the missing ones...
and hoping to make a small come-back with some new CDLC ideas...

YAMAHA 4-String 24 Frets - D Standard -> C Standard & D Drop C...

ASHTON - 4-String 21 Frets, E Standard, Drop D, Half-Step Down (Nirvana)...

Phoenix? - BASS 21-22 Frets? - 4-in-line Headstock...
(3 BASSES + 2 ELECTRIC G + 2 ACOUSTICS + a UKE)

Les Paul Special II - Guitar 

IBANEZ - USED MODIFIED MODEL...
After-market Tremolo Bridge + head-stock locking nut thingys --- Free 1994-ish Guitar =   🙂

• 4 years later...

Although this thread is from 5 years ago, I will respond here. I am playing an electric bass guitar (2 years, so just barely out of the complete beginner phase, I think).

As it turns out, at the moment I end up enjoying and playing mostly songs which have a upright / double bass "feel", if not actually recorded on double bass.

I am trying to dig up existing well made CDLCs of songs with that feel that are not very difficult to play, and I can share my list with anyone who is still interested 🙂. My motivation is that I am just by myself here, no music teacher around, learning bass and discovering some very old songs (like Django mentioned above), jazz standards and even some modern (Norah Jones, Postmodern Jukebox etc). Would appreciate any pointers.

So if anyone is interested, respond here, and perhaps we can start a new thread and work on an update-able list of songs for e-bassists that like the double bass sound or are aspiring double bassists.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 11/22/2021 at 12:22 PM, milbog said:

Although this thread is from 5 years ago, I will respond here. I am playing an electric bass guitar (2 years, so just barely out of the complete beginner phase, I think).

As it turns out, at the moment I end up enjoying and playing mostly songs which have a upright / double bass "feel", if not actually recorded on double bass.

I am trying to dig up existing well made CDLCs of songs with that feel that are not very difficult to play, and I can share my list with anyone who is still interested 🙂. My motivation is that I am just by myself here, no music teacher around, learning bass and discovering some very old songs (like Django mentioned above), jazz standards and even some modern (Norah Jones, Postmodern Jukebox etc). Would appreciate any pointers.

So if anyone is interested, respond here, and perhaps we can start a new thread and work on an update-able list of songs for e-bassists that like the double bass sound or are aspiring double bassists.

Yes, please share your list. I'm about the same, just learning bass. I love finding new inspiring songs with a distinctive bassline (and easy).

My CDLC of "Cry Baby" by the California Honeydrops might be something you are looking for - and it's quite beginner friendly.

The Led Zeppelin Discography thread

learning to chart > asking someone else to do it

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Lester Bangs