noticed a light problem with naming songs

• Developer

Æ is an illegal character.  The valid characters were determined by actually reviewing ODLC artist, title, album names.  These include a-z, A-Z, 0-9 \ - _  / & . : ' , ! ? ( )   Names can not start with special characters as this caused problems in the past.

If you know of ODLC that start with Æ we'll be glad to reconsider.

Are you tired of AV False Positives???  Now accepting donations on my website (Click Here)  Your donation will be used towards buying a code signing certificate.   CGT is now compatible and safe to use with Rocksmith® 2014 Remastered ... 

Latest Build of Custom Game Toolkit (CGT) w/ Game Save Gigbox       Latest Build of Rocksmith Toolkit       Latest Build of Customs Forge Song Manager (CFSM)

All bug reports and help requests please include your: OS, CPU, AV, .NET Framework versions along with a description of the issue (include screenshots of error if possible).  It should go without having to say ... make sure you are using the latest build before submitting bug reports or asking for help.

*  Remember to use your magic words (please and thank you) if you would like a response.  Don't use phrases like 'thanks anyhow' as it is demeaning.

• Developer

Don't know :unsure:  But I do know that once we devs extended validation to exclude special characters from song names much of the in game hanging has disappeared.  The valid characters were determined by actually reviewing ODLC artist, title, album names at the time.  Are there any ODLC now that have or begin with special characters?

Are you tired of AV False Positives???  Now accepting donations on my website (Click Here)  Your donation will be used towards buying a code signing certificate.   CGT is now compatible and safe to use with Rocksmith® 2014 Remastered ... 

Latest Build of Custom Game Toolkit (CGT) w/ Game Save Gigbox       Latest Build of Rocksmith Toolkit       Latest Build of Customs Forge Song Manager (CFSM)

All bug reports and help requests please include your: OS, CPU, AV, .NET Framework versions along with a description of the issue (include screenshots of error if possible).  It should go without having to say ... make sure you are using the latest build before submitting bug reports or asking for help.

*  Remember to use your magic words (please and thank you) if you would like a response.  Don't use phrases like 'thanks anyhow' as it is demeaning.

• Developer

@Alex360  Something else to think about ... how will RS handle setlist sorting if the song name, title, album contains/starts with special character?  Maybe this was the root cause of some game hangs in the past.

• Developer

How about "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"?

That's an RS1 song in addition to being a valid song title.  The ( ) are included in the list of acceptable characters so you can use them.

• Like 1

• Developer

Just pointed it out since the current toolkit version doesn't let you begin a title with a (.

Thanks  I will take a look.

Æ is an illegal character.  The valid characters were determined by actually reviewing ODLC artist, title, album names.  These include a-z, A-Z, 0-9 \ - _  / & . : ' , ! ? ( )   Names can not start with special characters as this caused problems in the past.

If you know of ODLC that start with Æ we'll be glad to reconsider.

"Funk #49"

• 3 weeks later...
  • Developer
Some DLC with special characters in titles or artist names:

Escape (The Piña Colada Song)

Funk #49

Mötley Crüe

Earth, Wind & Fire

Queensrÿche

Frédéric Chopin

The only titles that begin with a special character (excluding parentheses) seem to be:

Überlin by R.E.M.

"Little" Fugue in G Minor

Personally I would allow most characters in the display fields as long as RS can display them correctly, and strip almost all non-alphanumeric characters from the sort fields and not allow the sort fields to begin with a character other than A-Z, a-z or 0-9. If the programming of the game makes sense the sorting algorithm should only be using the sort fields.

Finding out what characters RS cannot display properly is another matter. The only problem I've personally come against is that ō is not displayed properly in Score Attack (but works in the artist field in Learn A Song).

I checked how non-alphanumeric characters are handled in the sort fields in on-disc songs, RS1 songs and the DLC that I own.

General conclusions, when it comes to the sort fields:

( ) are always stripped,

/ is replaced with a space,

- is replaced with a space or not stripped,

& may be replaced with "and",

, is stripped (in titles),

' is not stripped,

. and ? may be stripped or not.

! is not in any titles or artist names on the DLC that I own. The only titles that include it seem to be "Dead!" by My Chemical Romance and "Easy Come, Easy GO!" by B'z.

Artist names that include it are Against Me! and Panic! At The Disco.

Some examples:

B.B. King

sort: BB King

T. Rex

sort: T Rex

Blue Öyster Cult

sort: Blue Oyster Cult

Grace Potter & The Nocturnals

sort: Grace Potter and The Nocturnals

No More Mr. Nice Guy

sort: No More Mister Nice Guy

Holy Wars... The Punishment Due

sort: Holy Wars... The Punishment Due

Also, since the game has been released in Japan it can obviously display Japanese, but it doesn't affect the sorting. やさしくなりたい will be found under Y.

• Like 2

• Developer

@iminashi  Looks like you have been doing your homework.  Nice list.  Interesting that you do find some special characters in titles and that they are stripped out when sorted.  We will have to see if this can be better implemented in the toolkit.  Our main concern is not to introduce game hanging again.  Since limiting the use of special characters reported game hangs have gone way down (actually seems to have been eliminated).

Thanks

• Like 1

• Developer

Here are a few more examples:

blink-182

sort: Blink 182

867-5309/Jenny

sort: 8675309 Jenny

Gary Clark Jr.

sort: Gary Clark Jr.

I did some testing with non-alphanumeric and extended characters and it looks like extended latin cannot be used.

Characters like ĀāĂ㥹ĆćĈĉĊċČčĐđŪū will only be displayed properly in the artist field in Learn A Song. In the title field, and in both the title and artist fields in Score Attack they will only be displayed as rectangles.

Of course I didn't test all characters, but characters such as ÛûÿäöåÄÖÅÀÁÉÍÓÚÝ@¶¥®Ç¾¿×ŒœÆæ will be displayed properly.

An example:

http://i.imgur.com/G2lFBPH.jpg

The title and artist are both set as ↑♪♀∞•※²㎠⅞Ⅷ⇨√谙 (a super-likely name for a hit song). As you can see, only the characters • and ² work properly in both fields.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Developer

First off thanks to all the users who provided input in this thread.  Great job identifying ODLC naming conventions. 

A new toolkit beta has been released that incorporates (as best can be achieved) the naming conventions that are used in ODLC.  This will open up a few options to those charters wanting to use diacritics in CDLC song naming.   Keep in mind that key ids, and sortable names have much tighter naming restrictions and you wont be able to manipulate these fields much.

In the past the old Wild, Wild West way of naming CDLC was responsible for some of the in game issues we experienced.  This toolkit revision could bring back some of those issues, hopefully not.  Please be observant of any in game behavior of new CDLC created with this toolkit release and report back any issues to the devs so they can be addressed.

• Like 3

• Developer

@@Tysylio you are the best.  Could you please PM me link to your EOF project files.  I am not able to reproduce the error so I would like to see your files.  Thanks

EDIT: the error you posted looks like it has to do with a sortable field (artist, title, album).  What is the state of these when you receive the error.  Empty or populated?

Thanks @@cozy1,

Before, when I would add an arrangement, all the fields would populate, and all I would have to add is the version number.  So, I guess to answer your question: empty.  

Up until now, my process is:

Add Tones

Add arrangements

Set version number

Set desired Platforms

Set song/preview volume

Change Song Title Sort to include DD or NDD if applicable

Add album art file

Add wem file

Save Package

Generate

I'll provide a link to my project file in a moment.

Thanks again @@cozy1!

• Like 2

Keep smiling. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

See my Workshop here.

• Developer

@Tysylio  Excellent input. 

For the benefit of the thread readers ... the error condition was caused  because the toolkit was not auto populating the sortable fields for Artist, Title or Album.  When empty these caused the error condition that you identified.  The fix was to added default values to the sortable fields if they are null/empty using info from EOF project files for Artist, Title,  and Album.  You can always change these if you don't like the defaults set by the toolkit.

Thanks for the help finding a bug and sharing your toolkit workflow.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

@@cozy1 and @@iminashi and @@raynebc just thought that this file might interest you : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZKYtpB0vu2dkcwSjYyR0RXUUE/view?usp=sharing

This file was found inside the Static.psarc file of Rocksmith 2014 so it might indicate what are the possible character that the game can display without any issue.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

• Developer

I came across that file too when I was looking through the files in the game. Probably should have made a post about it.  :)

Those are definitely(?) the characters that can be used in lyrics by default.

There are some characters that I don't see in there, but that do work in artist names and song titles, for example: ŁŽ®‡

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. - Privacy Policy