customs randomly appearing/disappearing

creator

Question

I'm on a Mac. I made a couple of cdlcs, from time to time one or both of them are not showing in the list of songs in RS2014.

It's pretty random, yesterday it was all fine, today I start RS and the song is not there. 

Often the songs re-appear if I restart RS. Or sometimes I have to regenerate even though the song was working yesterday.

Is it something in cdlc that might be causing it? Or can it be Mac specific? 

• Like 1

14 answers to this question

I do not have a Mac so cannot comment on the specifics.

What I will say though, is that sometimes when I am looking for a song and can't find it, it is because I have ordered the list on a different way.  The one that gets me most is ordering by tuning, there are so many songs in my list that are standard E tuning that it appears to be the complete list by Title, but in fact all the drop D/Eb songs are way down at the bottom.

It's caught me out a few times, I am not trying to be funny :)

I do not have a Mac so cannot comment on the specifics.

What I will say though, is that sometimes when I am looking for a song and can't find it, it is because I have ordered the list on a different way.  The one that gets me most is ordering by tuning, there are so many songs in my list that are standard E tuning that it appears to be the complete list by Title, but in fact all the drop D/Eb songs are way down at the bottom.

It's caught me out a few times, I am not trying to be funny :)

I keep it ordered by Artist most of the time and then just press the first letter of the name on a keyboard to jump straight to that letter.

It looks like most people are using Windows and judging by the lack of replies it doesn't happen on Windows. It might be Mac related, just a little annoyance, have to restart RS occasionally when the song is not loaded.

I was wondering if maybe I do something wrong in EOF or the Toolkit when creating cdlcs.

I wonder if RSInjector might have something to do with the variability.

What seems to bring me more success in tracks appearing in RS is to start with RSInjector, do the usual stuff, select profile, then "esc" to quit, "yes quit", then RATHER THAN "esc" again to confirm the quit,  instead press "enter" to Begin.

The missing songs now seem to be back. 

What seems to bring me more success in tracks appearing in RS is to start with RSInjector, do the usual stuff, select profile, then "esc" to quit, "yes quit", then RATHER THAN "esc" again to confirm the quit,  instead press "enter" to Begin.

I think I'm having exactly the same issue as you mentioned in that other thread. I also suspected Steam.

Maybe it's some Steam+RSInjector+Mac issue.

I also had some success with quitting to the Begin screen and then back into the game, customs often re-appear after that.

I also have an impression that some customs disappear more often than others or maybe it's just random.

That's really weird.  I've just followed this procedure, because I've been having the "randomly appearing/disappearing cdlc problem" -  and it seems to work.  (I've even got Kate Bush and A-ha to appear at the same time - these two are notorious non-appearance songs for me!)

It's almost as if the game needs to run two "enumeration" processes.

Thanks for the information - I'm back off to pile all of my cdlc into the one folder again… lol

(I'm running Steam on a Mac, BTW)

I still find that some CDLC goes missing, the content is much more stable the first time round than the 2nd time and nor does the 2nd time round display all songs and often the lack of album thumbnail indicates that should you choose that song at that moment, RS2014 will freeze.

I have begun to appreciate the random availability of songs though, I suppose it's a bit like unlocking a song through proficiency.

I still find that some CDLC goes missing, the content is much more stable the first time round than the 2nd time and nor does the 2nd time round display all songs and often the lack of album thumbnail indicates that should you choose that song at that moment, RS2014 will freeze.

I have begun to appreciate the random availability of songs though, I suppose it's a bit like unlocking a song through proficiency.

The lack of album art suggests to me that you have a problematic cDLC in your folder.   You don't have to actually play them for an individual custom to cause problems for others.

It can be a long process, depending on the number of customs you have, but you'll need to remove them all (or any you've added since problems have started) and add them back one at a time until you find the one(s) causing the problem.

LOL!

I've noticed the "second time of asking" doesn't always work, but is generally better than just the one "enumeration".

I've also had the lack of album art problem.

I've had various problems with shows/no shows.  So much so that I've tried with just one CDLC in my DLC folder - for it to not show at all.  Two CDLC in the folder - for one to show, then the other to show, then both to appear.

I suppose I should be more scientific, and record what I'm doing and what actually happens, but as RS Injector does work (of sorts), I'm just grateful for the songs I get! :)

(In case I haven't already said, I'm running OS X 10.7.5; I'm not sure which version of RS Injector, but it's titled "RSInjector-3.app". I did have problems getting a working version due to my OS.)

The lack of album art suggests to me that you have a problematic cDLC in your folder.   You don't have to actually play them for an individual custom to cause problems for others.

It can be a long process, depending on the number of customs you have, but you'll need to remove them all (or any you've added since problems have started) and add them back one at a time until you find the one(s) causing the problem.

Is there a interdependence that may exist between particular CDLC/psarc files? eg if there is a tone required by a file, that is provided by another file, or requiring a feature unlock from RS2014?  I'd previously just considered the files as independent, but it seems more complex than this. 

Given that the is such variability in the availability of CDLC on a single computer, where no other changes have apparently occurred, I wonder if a file use/modification timestamp is used in determining how CDLC are enumerated.  Is there any information about how enumeration works, or even an educated guess?

• Administrator

if two cdlc have a part with the exact same ID (defined automatically by the toolkit) it can cause that kind of thing, i think their is also a thing with DLC name that RS doesn't like but this is defined by the user himself.

Enumeration seems to work like a search of all compatible .psarc available in the DLC folder of RS. It analyze the information inside the psarc to render them in the RS "Library". Enumerating after adding a new .psarc in the DLC folder make the new DLC appear but remplacing an already enumerated DLC will make the dlc crashes as if he actually compare with what was their before enumerating.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

I've had various problems with shows/no shows.  So much so that I've tried with just one CDLC in my DLC folder - for it to not show at all.  Two CDLC in the folder - for one to show, then the other to show, then both to appear.

I'm fairly relaxed about songs not showing up, the exception being the occasion that adding content makes the RS2014 hang frequently.  The solution I employed was to take any recently added content out of the dlc folder and then add half of it back, then restart and if it works, take half of the content not added back and restart and repeat until the frequent hang returns.  Then I know that the problem is with one of the smaller group of files added.  Attempting to find a single file, a larger batch, one-by-one would otherwise be too time consuming.

Sometimes a particular CDLC (repeatedly) will not play, but doesn't hang RS2014, in which case I just remove that file from the dlc folder.

From time to time, I also find CDLC that has worked, now either hangs, or will not play though without hanging.  Subsequently attempts to play these CDLC have mixed success. 

Enumeration seems to work like a search of all compatible .psarc available in the DLC folder of RS. It analyze the information inside the psarc to render them in the RS "Library". Enumerating after adding a new .psarc in the DLC folder make the new DLC appear but remplacing an already enumerated DLC will make the dlc crashes as if he actually compare with what was their before enumerating.

Do you know how the files are iterated?  I assume that there is list of .psarc files created by the enumeration process, perhaps by the likes of 'ls -tr'.  Is there some documentation?