Grateful Dead CDLC

Jackstraw13

Question

Hi. I would like to make some CDLC for a couple songs off soundboard shows I have. I will be honest that I am not the most computer savvy person, but very much want to learn to get the Dead on here. If anyone could give me a hand with suggestions I would grately appreciate it. 

Cheers

I have multitracks for those two songs and high quality releases as well, so I'm good. I'll use the studio recordings, which should be hard enough to transcribe already, so I don't want to make anymore work for myself then I already have. Also, full disclosure: This will take a while, pribably a lot longer than you hope. I don't have very much time on my hands right now and still some customs to convert from 2012, besides already started projects that I want to eventually finish before working on anything new.

Haha, I understand. I think once people start playing the dead they will be blown away by how much is going on, even in the studio stuff. And the Dead were very explorational in all aspects of their life. Even in the studio, they were the first to record on 12 tracks when there were only 8, then 24, etc. They revolutionized music is so many ways. Not to mention the Wall of Sound. And all that was the brainchild of Owsley, their soundman and most famous LSD chemist next to Albert Hoffman who discovered it in 1938. Owsley was incredible, and there are many accolades of him, such as from Steely Dan. Their song Kid Charlamagne is about Owsley, check it out sometime.

And I dont expect anything. Just talking with you and sharing appreciation and excitement for their music is wonderful. Just enjoy making them:) and enjoy experiencing them:)

Ok great. Im going to see if I can use a neighbors computer to get them up. The first one I am going to put up is from 1973. It includes the albums Workingmans Dead and American Beauty. Should be a great starting point. Hopefully you have some masters of these.

Here are the tracks listed.

Workingmans Dead-

Uncle Johns Band

High Time

Dire Wolf

New Speedway Boogie

Cumberland Blues

Black Peter

Easy Wind

Casey Jones

American Beauty-

Box of Rain

Friend of the Devil

Sugar Magnolia

Operator

Candyman

Ripple

Brokedown Palace

Till the Morning Comes

Attics of my Life

Truckin

Wow, I forgot how great those albums were until you see all those tracks listed like that. If those were all CDLC, I'd never leave the house! :D

Aludog and Sleepy....we need to make this one a CDLC. This would be quite a challenge.

Boy, that one got 'out there' really quickly...great jam!

Somewhere in the middle of the second set of every Grateful Dead show the band turns a corner. They enter a musical environment without walls or structure. The song form is abandoned, and the very elements of music may be called into question. The only mandate is to explore new territory. It is an environment where rhythm, tone, color, melody, and harmony can be explored without rules or predetermination, a musical adventure where composition and performance are one.

Poetry.

sleepy

Thanks Sleepy. I'm glad you liked it. That song is always very deep. And once I get my computer back and get those books scanned I will get you a copy as well. And yes those albums are grate... Till the morning comes is one of my favorite songs...as they all are:)

"Till we all fall down, it'll do you fine,Don't think about what you left behindThe way you came or the way you goLet your tracks be lost in the dark and snow"

I have multitracks for those two songs and high quality releases as well, so I'm good. I'll use the studio recordings, which should be hard enough to transcribe already, so I don't want to make anymore work for myself then I already have. Also, full disclosure: This will take a while, pribably a lot longer than you hope. I don't have very much time on my hands right now and still some customs to convert from 2012, besides already started projects that I want to eventually finish before working on anything new.

Haha, I understand. I think once people start playing the dead they will be blown away by how much is going on, even in the studio stuff. And the Dead were very explorational in all aspects of their life. Even in the studio, they were the first to record on 12 tracks when there were only 8, then 24, etc. They revolutionized music is so many ways. Not to mention the Wall of Sound. And all that was the brainchild of Owsley, their soundman and most famous LSD chemist next to Albert Hoffman who discovered it in 1938. Owsley was incredible, and there are many accolades of him, such as from Steely Dan. Their song Kid Charlamagne is about Owsley, check it out sometime.And I dont expect anything. Just talking with you and sharing appreciation and excitement for their music is wonderful. Just enjoy making them:) and enjoy experiencing them:)
Kid Charlemagne is one of my favorite Steely Dan songs but I didn't knew it was about Owsley. Interesting how everything seems to be connected somehow.And just to get this on record: I really appreciate the Grateful Dead for all their innovations and their inimitable creativity but I'm not that big a fan as you are. I listen to the studio stuff and the occasional live recordings, but that's it. My brother on the other hand is a real Grateful Dead nerd, always listening to the recordings on archive.org. I guess by now he's heard them all. :D

I've been listening to the Winterland 1977 box set all week and I've been dying to play dead songs on RS.  Unfortunately it looks like the download link for Casey Jones is dead and its only on RS1 anyway

Hopefully we can get some new songs up, this thread makes me excited :mrgreen:

http://s16.postimg.org/t4u9n00k5/Page_1_IMG_dragged_6.jpg

http://s24.postimg.org/kmgi25utx/Page_1_IMG_dragged.jpg

http://s27.postimg.org/i924z6aab/Page_1_IMG_dragged_2.jpg

http://s29.postimg.org/f5qdz080n/Page_1_IMG_dragged_3.jpg

http://s15.postimg.org/izqlo3vy3/Page_1_IMG_dragged_4.jpg

http://s1.postimg.org/rmkyzxz8v/Page_1_IMG_dragged_5.jpg

Heres an example of something very powerful. This is right before Jerry died. Watch the whole video and see how inspiration strikes.  

Watch the WHOLE video, especially the end. Pay attention to 4:00 and on.

Its extremely incredible. I have shown this version to several people and brought them to tears. 

So Many Roads....

To heal my soul...

Jerry be...

• Like 2

That was great, thanks Jackstraw! It's amazing to see how happy he is playing that song, smiling throughout. And it's great to see that he was still inspired and playing well right up to the end.

sleepy

Acoustic Guitar:  Seagull Maritime GT  Playing Since:  8/11/2011

Electric Guitar:  Epiphone Les Paul Jr.  Playing since:  9/25/2013

Bass Guitar:  Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Special  Playing Since:  2/17/2014

"The road of life is rocky, and you may stumble too. So while you point your finger, someone else is judging you." --Bob Marley

Oh man, that looks great! I will definitely check that out later...thanks!

sleepy

Acoustic Guitar:  Seagull Maritime GT  Playing Since:  8/11/2011

Electric Guitar:  Epiphone Les Paul Jr.  Playing since:  9/25/2013

Bass Guitar:  Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Special  Playing Since:  2/17/2014

"The road of life is rocky, and you may stumble too. So while you point your finger, someone else is judging you." --Bob Marley

So how's the making goin? hope a few cdlcs are still coming. Dreams are made of playing the beautiful jam by urself like:)

I still have plans for a few multitrack customs but no fixed release schedule. I do them when I feel like it and find the time.