Locked [TRR] Rocksmith 2014 Remastered coming in October!

All right ! Never noticed that issue, because I never play in-game tones, too much latency. I probably would if the game utilized low-latency drivers, such as ASIO on windows.

The current windows audio driver system can reach latencies of 3 ms.

What do you mean ?? 3 ms roundtrip ?? At 48 kHz ?? Without any glitch ?? Under Windows seven ???

3 ms is what you might get, using a decent audio interface, and it's dedicated low-latency drivers, with audio-oriented software, if your OS is decently debloated/optimized for audio. Personally, I have all above boxes checked, except that rocksmith don't use those low-latency drivers... So I use a Guitar Rig/Ampeg SVX software solution in parallel of RS, as others use external gear as their guitar amp or MFX pedals. But I can't use internal RS sounds, as the latency is way too big.

So if you have the recipe, feel free to share. Given the number of people that prefers to use an outboard gear solution to solve latency issues, you'll make tons of happy musicians...

• Administrator

Wasapi can get very low latency while Asio didn't really get better with time in the last decade, but even the Direct Sound improved a lot since XP and you can get very low latency without any quality loss with them (asio can be very bitchy at time especially Asio4all which is the worst one you can have).

Asio is only good if you have a piece of hardware that needs it (high sampling rate and more than 24 bits) which in Rocksmith case would be useless. I know i play RS with slightly more than 10ms roundtrip which is already enough to play and my PC isn't a beast so, it's clearly doable if you take the time to play with the settings in the ini file.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

@@Tmlt It is possible only with pro audio cards which support ASIO (ASIO created by Steinberg, not Microsoft). and 3ms only for input+3 ms for output. Windows and on-board chip can`t work with such latency.

@@firekorn I tested RS cable with different soft. Hardware buffer is ~16ms, you can`t change it. + yet hardware buffers for output+software buffer for output (if need)(which you can change in config RS14) so summary latency for RS In-Out is >20ms.

WASAPI is already pretty decent nowadays. I use it in all programs where ASIO is not supported. Honestly I don't have any issues (noticeable but don't really care) with the latency of the game when playing the game on my laptop with my headphones.

But I started playing it on my computer now surprisingly it doesn't work at all with my USB DAC. Their Ultra low latency mode breaks the audio completely. Turning it off makes it completely unplayable.

@@Jefbyos Does your software solution allows for both RS and amp sim output audio "exclusively" at the same time?

• Like 1

@ I'm also leaning towards a multi-fx pedal for portability reasons. But when I'm in portable mode, I'm on my laptops which just uses the on-board sound chip (hence, no latency issues).

Still, I'd love to hear those Authentic Tones through my pair of monitors instead of just a cheap portable speakers for once.

@@firekorn I tested RS cable with different soft. Hardware buffer is ~16ms, you can`t change it. + yet hardware buffers for output+software buffer for output (if need)(which you can change in config RS14) so summary latency for RS In-Out is >20ms.

I never did any measurement on my RS setup, but that seems more like it to me, 19 ms at best.

And to me 19 ms is too much.

@@Jefbyos Does your software solution allows for both RS and amp sim output audio "exclusively" at the same time?

@ Absolutely. User-wise, it's not rocket science... if your audio interface offers a decent multi-client support. ;)

I just launch the standalone version of the amp sim (set to 48khz, ASIO) then RS2014. That allows me to listen my guitar or my bass on the same speakers as the game, with a good-sounding amp simulation, and decent latency (my interface is not then fastest on the market, but achieve >5 ms roundtrip, which is pretty good for 48 kHz sampling rate)

I don't use bias software, but I guess that should work as well.

Wasapi can get very low latency while Asio didn't really get better with time in the last decade, but even the Direct Sound improved a lot since XP and you can get very low latency without any quality loss with them (asio can be very bitchy at time especially Asio4all which is the worst one you can have).

Asio is only good if you have a piece of hardware that needs it (high sampling rate and more than 24 bits) which in Rocksmith case would be useless. I know i play RS with slightly more than 10ms roundtrip which is already enough to play and my PC isn't a beast so, it's clearly doable if you take the time to play with the settings in the ini file.

I have some experience in audio, not as developer but as user, I'd say ASIO-based cards do have made some progress (if you consider the latency AND the stability = keeping the promises). I can't say about Wasapi or direct sound drivers, that I avoid to use for audio-based applications since years (that is also why I pay for a decent audio interface).

Again, I would not dream to get the values you speak of... If you have any advice to get there, on a different topic if you feel we are off topic, I would be grateful.

Here is my audiodump, for all those of you who live in 2008 and wont understand that windows drivers in some cases have become faster than good ole ASIO:

00000000:  : INIT ExclusiveMode 1
00000000:  : INIT LatencyBuffer 2
00000000:  : INIT ForceWDM 0
00000000:  : INIT ForceDirectXSink 0
00000062:  : WASAPI::OpenStream(output): framesPerUser[ 128 ] framesPerHost[ 144 ] latency[ 3.00ms ] exclusive[ YES ] wow64_fix[ NO ] mode[ EVENT ]
00000062:  : pSinkPortAudio->Init() == AK_Success00000062:  : AkCreateThread EventMgrThread 0x7b4 ID = 15353920
00000062:  : ************* NSoundInputMgr_Win32::SETUP mUsePortAudio 1 mUseNWin32 0 mUseWaveIn 0 mForceDirectXSink 0 mForceWDM 0
00026258:  : ************* NSoundInputMgr_Win32::DetectInputDevices_PortAudio WASAPI Id 1 API 0 : Microphone (Rocksmith USB Guitar Adapter)[ff 12ba]
00026258:  : ** NSoundInputMgr_Win32::DetectInputDevices_PortAudio Id 1 API 0 : Microphone (Rocksmith USB Guitar Adapter)[ff 12ba]
00026258:  : ************* NSoundInputMgr_Win32::DetectInputDevices_PortAudio FOUND! 0 : Microphone (Rocksmith USB Guitar Adapter)[{0.0.1.00000000}.{eadfd2d0-685e-459a-ba01-ccf2782830d4}]
00026287:  : WASAPI::OpenStream(input): framesPerUser[ 128 ] framesPerHost[ 192 ] latency[ 4.00ms ] exclusive[ YES ] wow64_fix[ NO ] mode[ EVENT ]
00026288:  : ** NSoundInputMgr_Win32::DetectInputDevices_PortAudio Id 1 API 0 : Microphone (Rocksmith USB Guitar Adapter)  INPUT ON Slot 0
00026288:  : ************* NSoundInputMgr_Win32::DetectInputDevices_PortAudio WASAPI Id 1 API 0 : Microphone (Rocksmith USB Guitar Adapter)[ff 12ba]
00026288:  : ** NSoundInputMgr_Win32::DetectInputDevices_PortAudio Id 1 API 0 : Microphone (Rocksmith USB Guitar Adapter)[ff 12ba]

OK, i guess I was a bit fast to declare an overall latency at 3 ms. That is the input. The total is 7 ms.

@@Tmlt Honestly, I have used WASAPI since it was introduced in early Windows 7 days. Latency-wise, it is just the same as ASIO. There's almost no difference between WASAPI and ASIO.

What I am concerned about is Rocksmith's flawed implementation of the API, where it's broken with USB DACs/interfaces when it shouldn't be. I just hope that this update addresses this issue. They are well aware of this issue that even documented this issue in their manual but there have been no signs of them trying to fix this.

• Like 1

@@Tmlt It is possible only with pro audio cards which support ASIO (ASIO created by Steinberg, not Microsoft). and 3ms only for input+3 ms for output. Windows and on-board chip can`t work with such latency.

This is so wrong. Do a google search for asio vs wasapi latency please.

But youre right about the 3ms. My total latency in RS2014 with wasapi drivers is 7 ms.